Shocking AMG Depreciation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Tricky test time.

I bought my S212 E63 for £34K in late July 2013.

Part ex'd by me recently - it's reappeared at a dealer.

How much do you think it's up, at some 17 months later?

Average mileage added by me.

No cheating now :devil:.

Last edited:
"I bought my S212 E63 for £34K in late July 2013." Now that is a deal! Nevermind anything else.

Not widely known, but it has done 62K when I bought it - now at 78K.

Last edited:
In light of the above info, £30k? For some reason I though the mileage was lower.

Last edited:
Did it have the ski bag and through-loading facility John? A deal breaker for me ;)

Might have not read your last paragraph...

£31,995

Either way it seems like you have had some very cheap motoring over the past 18 months for this type of car - apart from fuel bills ;) ;)

Hopefully, you got a good deal on the new one too and will enjoy a similar cost level.

Cheers

Steve

Due to the title, I'm going much lower with the price. £26995.
Do I get a prize?

It's appeared at £31K, bar a few quid.

£3K down after 17 months in a gas guzzling above average mileage V8.

A couple of things to bear in mind:

I negotiated hard to get it to £34K in 2013.

The dealer said that normally a car of that mileage would go straight to auction, but because of it's condition they feel they can main dealer forecourt it (it's at MB Shrewsbury).

So, look after your car and it will look after you :thumb:.

Last edited:
That's about what I paid for my first diesel in 1999...though it was only 2 years old. 16 years on, that looks very reasonable for a range topper...albeit 5 years old.

How much did YOU actually lose is the real question.

I'm guessing roughly £10k ish

c_200k said:
How much did YOU actually lose is the real question. I'm guessing roughly £10k ish

Quite ! I know it's dependant on what you part ex'd it for but how much did they actually give you for it ?

How much did YOU actually lose is the real question.

I'm guessing roughly £10k ish

As you know from our conversations, it was a very attractive cost to change figure, hard fought.

Obviously the devil's in the detail. and a main dealer isn't going to make a loss.

However, my point was that, after 17 months, to be retailed again within a few £K of what I bought it for, MB forecourt to MB forecourt was surprising.

There are couple of interesting points.

Firstly not how much it cost you but how much it cost the first owner in the first couple of years. That's shocking depreciation. They maybe traded in at £31-32K and lost as much or if not more.

Secondly there is often a sweet spot in the depreciation curve when you lose a minimum amount on depreciation and you are still running a reliable car. Exactly where you hit. You lost - guestimate - £5-6K per year. Which is great for a car like yours. That's par for a average new hatchback.

Thirdly - what MB can get for the car depends on the market and there don't seem to be many E63 estates out there so prices are now holding up well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom