Should I get a w205 C63 over a w204 C350cdi AMG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C350D is a stealth weapon with only 22 ft-lb less torque than the C63.

Of course it is; so is my ML420. Same torque as the E55k (oh yes...)

Now let's get real and talk about torque curves, shall we?

Thank you all for some brilliant info and thoughts, much appreciated

👏👏👍👍👍👏👏👍👍

Because he'll soon get fed up of the running costs, the version he's looking at has much harder suspension too. I'm sure he'll enjoy it, but if could end up as a burden when your just driving in traffic.

I own a C63s, I love it, but I work overseas and don't daily it, if I had to I'd buy something else depending on how far I needed to go of course. But sub 20mpg could get tiresome quickly. Last B service was 570, A service before that was 330 odd, both can be cheaper from an indy though.

Because he'll soon get fed up of the running costs, the version he's looking at has much harder suspension too. I'm sure he'll enjoy it, but if could end up as a burden when your just driving in traffic.

I own a C63s, I love it, but I work overseas and don't daily it, if I had to I'd buy something else depending on how far I needed to go of course. But sub 20mpg could get tiresome quickly. Last B service was 570, A service before that was 330 odd, both can be cheaper from an indy though.
Assuming that s/he can afford the running costs, which is a reasonable assumption if a/he’s looking to buy one, what makes the AMG a worse car for daily use?

They’re (almost) all Mercedes models with big engines and fancy trinkets, and Mercedes make great road cars. Big engines and trinkets don’t detract do they?

Assuming that s/he can afford the running costs, which is a reasonable assumption if a/he’s looking to buy one, what makes the AMG a worse car for daily use?

They’re (almost) all Mercedes models with big engines and fancy trinkets, and Mercedes make great road cars. Big engines and trinkets don’t detract do they?
I've never got this, what you are saying is because someone can afford to buy and run a C63 they shouldn't be bothered how much its costing them? The more money you have, the more willing you are to keep hold of it! Especially not giving any away to the man!

Costs aside, there's nothing wrong with running a 63 everyday to work and back, but in my view, I don't see the point. Give me a cheap comfy diesel any day, I've got better fun cars for drive outs.

I already said the pre facelift 63 has much harder suspension, that alone might grate if your used to wafting in 350.

My S65 is more comfortable than any other Mercedes class and is definitely cheaper for I don’t need to run, maintain, insure and keep another (diesel?) daily car. The logic of owning a car and not using it is flawed.

My S65 is more comfortable than any other Mercedes class and is definitely cheaper for I don’t need to run, maintain, insure and keep another (diesel?) daily car. The logic of owning a car and not using it is flawed.
My other car is a modified 911 running over 1000hp, it's not a car I would daily. If you want to take your S65 round the nurburgring then be my guest.

My 63s is a great car for the family and means I can enjoy driving something nice when I'm in the UK, of which most of my time is spent doing family things. If I had to drive the same car everyday then a 350 would do a better job for less money, regardless of how much disposable income I might have.

What the thoughts, experiences of going from a C350cdi to a C63?

I currently have a 2012 C350cdi with the AMG kit on it, I really enjoy the car, performance with economy and easy to look after, service etc, but a c63 looks amazing.

Having watched tons of videos, they all seem to be blown away with the C63, but some videos saying how costly, unreliable there are to run.

i would be looking at between 2015 to 2018 model.

whats the thoughts:

On day to day driving
Running costs
A, B and C service costs

thank you

I moved from the W204 C320CDI with the amg pack (sport) and moved to the AMG W205 C43. It is an option, and I am glad I did it.

The OM642 engine in the C320 / C350 cdi has fantastic torque coupled with good fuel economy, however it has its issues such expensive oil leaks that occur in the V that are expensive to fix when the happen, dpf issues, swirl flap issues, turbo actuator issues. These are common issues on that engine.

The C43 also has bags of torque, very quick, and not bad on fuel economy considering. The other plus is the 4wd system and so far I havn't heard of any reliability issues nor have I suffered any.

Hope this helps.

I've never got this, what you are saying is because someone can afford to buy and run a C63 they shouldn't be bothered how much its costing them? The more money you have, the more willing you are to keep hold of it! Especially not giving any away to the man!

I’m not saying that at all, and I can’t see how you concluded that from my post. I was asking what makes a C 63 a worse daily car than a non-AMG equivalent.

My other car is a modified 911 running over 1000hp, it's not a car I would daily. If you want to take your S65 round the nurburgring then be my guest.

My 63s is a great car for the family and means I can enjoy driving something nice when I'm in the UK, of which most of my time is spent doing family things. If I had to drive the same car everyday then a 350 would do a better job for less money, regardless of how much disposable income I might have.

Better and cheaper at a cost of an extra vehicle - not sure I follow.

What time did your 1000bhp 911 make around the Ring?

Better and cheaper at a cost of an extra vehicle - not sure I follow.

What time did your 1000bhp 911 make around the Ring?
That's man maths for you, the saving is buying instead of, I wouldn't buy 2 similar cars just for the fuel saving, the maintenance cost wouldn't make it worthwhile like you said, but there is a good reason to have different cars, if they are tools to do different jobs, which was the point I was making. I do get annoyed when people assume running costs don't matter above a certain earning threshold, all costs matter all the time.

I've never actually took the Porsche to the ring, I've owned it about 8 years now and it's been a long build since putting a rod through the block. Last time I was in my GTR and the intercooler blew (common fault). But it will be going next time, sold the 35 now the Porsche is back. See, even I don't keep similar cars.

Last edited:
I do get annoyed when people assume running costs don't matter above a certain earning threshold, all costs matter all the time.
Why does that annoy you?

It sounds like you’re on the right side of the “earning threshold”, so get on with enjoying your cars and ignore those who annoy you.

That's man maths for you, the saving is buying instead of, I wouldn't buy 2 similar cars just for the fuel saving, the maintenance cost wouldn't make it worthwhile like you said, but there is a good reason to have different cars, if they are tools to do different jobs, which was the point I was making. I do get annoyed when people assume running costs don't matter above a certain earning threshold, all costs matter all the time.

I don't think anyone was arguing about merits of using different cars for different purposes - sometimes it can be handy.

Bobby however, was merely asking why would a bigger engined, run of the mill Mercedes (aka an "AMG") be not up to task of occasional skip runs and such like. I seconded that as I use mine for just about anything and in any weather as I'm sure he does too with his multiple AMGs (and his AMG backup vehicles).

Cost-concious however wouldn't be spending extra money on running a fleet of cars they woudn't use? Don't know for sure so that sounded like a false economy to me. Which is the point I was trying to put across.

I don't think anyone was arguing about merits of using different cars for different purposes - sometimes it can be handy.

Bobby however, was merely asking why would a bigger engined, run of the mill Mercedes (aka an "AMG") be not up to task of occasional skip runs and such like. I seconded that as I use mine for just about anything and in any weather as I'm sure he does too with his multiple AMGs (and his AMG backup vehicles).

Cost-concious however wouldn't be spending extra money on running a fleet of cars they woudn't use? Don't know for sure so that sounded like a false economy to me. Which is the point I was trying to put across.
Agree with you.
Both my C63s have been dailies. School runs, commuter cars, family holidays, shopping trips, tip trips - but also track day cars, road trip cars, Welsh B road blasters and autobahn destroyers.
They can do anything and everything these cars. No need for any second cars or diesel nonsense.

What the thoughts, experiences of going from a C350cdi to a C63?

I currently have a 2012 C350cdi with the AMG kit on it, I really enjoy the car, performance with economy and easy to look after, service etc, but a c63 looks amazing.

Having watched tons of videos, they all seem to be blown away with the C63, but some videos saying how costly, unreliable there are to run.

i would be looking at between 2015 to 2018 model.

whats the thoughts:

On day to day driving
Running costs
A, B and C service costs

thank you
No, get a 204 c63.

Agree with you.
Both my C63s have been dailies. School runs, commuter cars, family holidays, shopping trips, tip trips - but also track day cars, road trip cars, Welsh B road blasters and autobahn destroyers.
They can do anything and everything these cars. No need for any second cars or diesel nonsense.
We’ve used AMGs as daily’s fir years too. As you say they do everything well (just a bit hard on the road)
There is good diesel nonsense too may I add in 350/400 cdi guise. Go try an SQ7also, it’s bloody marvellous.

We’ve used AMGs as daily’s fir years too. As you say they do everything well (just a bit hard on the road)
There is good diesel nonsense too may I add in 350/400 cdi guise. Go try an SQ7also, it’s bloody marvellous.
A6 BTDi was my previous car and work horse of choice - proper wolf in sheep's clothing too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom