• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Smart #1 EV bought

Connoisseur

SUPPORTER
Car
A205 C200 Cab; Porsche Macan; BMW i3s
Almost a Merc. We’ve just bought a delivery mileage Smart #1 First Edition. Was surprised/not at just how much Mercedes design can be seen in the car, felt right at home. Car is very well equipped, inc. heat pump, and the fit and finish oozes quality👍

Almost a Merc. We’ve just bought a delivery mileage Smart #1 First Edition. Was surprised/not at just how much Mercedes design can be seen in the car, felt right at home. Car is very well equipped, inc. heat pump, and the fit and finish oozes quality👍
Congratulations! I’d be very interested to hear how you get on with it. I will be taking a Smart to the main dealer on Monday so I may try and blag a test drive.

Congratulations! I’d be very interested to hear how you get on with it. I will be taking a Smart to the main dealer on Monday so I may try and blag a test drive.
thanks. Will update this thread as we go. If you can get it then test drive the #1 Brabus. 0-60 in 3.4 seconds 😶😳😀

Ahead of your review, how did you come to the Smart rather than the other “usual suspects:” ID3, Cupra, MG4, Kia, e-2008 etc.

I’m in an e-2008 this week and it’s a surprising little thing.

Ahead of your review, how did you come to the Smart rather than the other “usual suspects:” ID3, Cupra, MG4, Kia, e-2008 etc.

I’m in an e-2008 this week and it’s a surprising little
So the car will be mainly used by my wife who looked the Fiat e500 as something a bit ‘designed’,different and quirky but it was tiny and poorly equipped. She has driven the Kia Nero which has good range and well equipped but in her words boring. We saw a Smart #1 when in a Mercedes Dealer, drove it and was impressed with the drive, use of space and the First Edition comes loaded with everything, HuD, heat pump, pano roof screen, good range and manoeuvrable. The boot while not the biggest is a flat loader and the rear seats move back and forward making the space v useful for a dog and cage we may be getting. Style is quirky and not many around unlike the MG/VW etc. Quality is v good and the infotainment system is comprehensive and fun once you adapt to how it differs from mainstream. There were a small number of First Edition around with delivery/v low miles and I got a reasonable reduction which meant a virtually brand new car £9k ish off list.

I’m in an e-2008 this week and it’s a surprising little thing.
so how’s the e-2008 working out for you? good and bad?

so how’s the e-2008 working out for you? good and bad?
The rental company sold me a BMW IX. But delivered a much smaller e-2008. Not the same league, Lying bar stewards.

It's interesting. Peugeot has gone through a dramatic change these last few years and isn't as rubbish (or purely French) as it used to be. You see a lot of these e2008's running around on the streets for good reason. It's cheap, and useful as a compact SUV. But it's still a bit "meh" along the same lines as the very capable but bigger e-Niro.

Strong advantage in that it doesn' look like an EV, and the its driver interface isn't far different from an ICE. Let's face it, there's a huge problem for a lot of older and female drivers, who really don't want to be doing all that Tesla nonsense. You can jump in and just drive it like an ICE. Which is nice.

It's capable, useful and reasonably up to date, but I suspect the ID3 and Cupra will be better, receive better after sales service, and will keep their resale value better. Not as challenging as the BMW i3, but not as well thought out either. The I3 feels much more spacious car in front, but not for the folks in the back.

Ride quality is excellent (for an old boy like me). It's French so it doesn't jar and jolt in the German tradition.

For some reason no intrusive ADAS nonsense. Haven't worked out why but there's none of that gurning that you get with the Tesla.

The 360 degree video tech is joyous. I'm parking it in a really tight space that would normally give me the heebie Jeebies in an unfamiliar car but the 360 imaging makes it a doddle.)

Interesting experience but I wouldn't give it house room. Capable as a rental but not entertaining, and not fast.

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 18.41.43.png

The rental company sold me a BMW IX. But delivered a much smaller e-2008. Not the same league, Lying bar stewards.

It's interesting. Peugeot has gone through a dramatic change these last few years and isn't as rubbish (or purely French) as it used to be. You see a lot of these e2008's running around on the streets for good reason. It's cheap, and useful as a compact SUV. But it's still a bit "meh" along the same lines as the very capable but bigger e-Niro.

Strong advantage in that it doesn' look like an EV, and the its driver interface isn't far different from an ICE. Let's face it, there's a huge problem for a lot of older and female drivers, who really don't want to be doing all that Tesla nonsense. You can jump in and just drive it like an ICE. Which is nice.

It's capable, useful and reasonably up to date, but I suspect the ID3 and Cupra will be better, receive better after sales service, and will keep their resale value better. Not as challenging as the BMW i3, but not as well thought out either. The I3 feels much more spacious car in front, but not for the folks in the back.

Ride quality is excellent (for an old boy like me). It's French so it doesn't jar and jolt in the German tradition.

For some reason no intrusive ADAS nonsense. Haven't worked out why but there's none of that gurning that you get with the Tesla.

The 360 degree video tech is joyous. I'm parking it in a really tight space that would normally give me the heebie Jeebies in an unfamiliar car but the 360 imaging makes it a doddle.)

Interesting experience but I wouldn't give it house room. Capable as a rental but not entertaining, and not fast.

View attachment 161159
thxs, a useful review👍 Still miss our i3, we had two in a row and enjoyed them both esp the i3s, never rode in the back, and never wanted to. A very capable thing, and cheap as chips nowadays!

thxs, a useful review👍 Still miss our i3, we had two in a row and enjoyed them both esp the i3s, never rode in the back, and never wanted to. A very capable thing, and cheap as chips nowadays!
It's all back to "user requirements."

Might be a tedious IT manager thing, but a feature is really only valuable if the punters want/need it.

In my head, I "need" the ability to drive 400 miles in a day without discomfort, to put 400 litres of boot, and the ability to put two six footers into the back, for short journeys no more than once a month. So that's in my head. But that's for "my car" not necessarily for a couple of weeks on a fun break.

The only real reason not to buy an I3 is that it's a decade old billion euro design, even if the latest ones have a more than useful 180+ mile range which will easily get you to Lyon in a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom