So we have a CAZ in Bath, Now we have something extra to irk people...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pioneercollector

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL 500
This month the car parking and permits will have a surcharge for polluting vehicles, the more polluting the vehicle the more you have to pay, Sigh .... This is after you have been stung for entering the CAZ ( Only commercial vehicles at the moment ). Only a small surcharge at the moment, and you have to use some convoluted web based thing to pay for your parking ( Which did get a lot of negative feedback ) and now i know why they use it - You have to pre register your car details first....

This is the start of something unpleasant, The council is skint so lets tax everyone who dares park in the City ( Unlikely as the car parks are few and far ) EV's are exempt, but you will have to fight over the couple of charging points...

Not a lot here anymore, so this should kill the place off a bit quicker....

Sigh....

This month the car parking and permits will have a surcharge for polluting vehicles, the more polluting the vehicle the more you have to pay,

So they charge more for polluting vehicles whilst they are parked and not even polluting ?

Got to love the logic behind that decision :rolleyes:

K

...EV's are exempt, but you will have to fight over the couple of charging points...

Sadly, it doesn't look great ....:

Screenshot-20230919-191315.jpg

So they charge more for polluting vehicles whilst they are parked and not even polluting ?

K
This was my first thought as well,

Sadly, it doesn't look great ....:

Screenshot-20230919-191315.jpg
Doesn't look great is the understatement of the year. Bath is an excellent advert for why not to go EV. Relatively wealthy place with (it seems) a high number of the sort of people who want to "help the planet" by buying an EV; at the same time quite a lot of property is terraced with no off street parking; all these people with EVs trying to find a public charger. Great joined up thinking on behalf of UK PLC.

It's 100% down to the local Council, I think.

If people have cars, them they either park them on their drives in which case they can install charges at home, or they park them in the street in which case the council can install bollards chargers or lamppost chargers.

In Westminster where I leave, the council is very EV-minded and have installed public lamppost chargers 5 years ago. In some other London boroughs, there are very few public chargers.

There's no technical impediment to having public chargers in towns and cities anywhere in the UK, I don't think. But just as opinions are divided on this forum, I guess that the people leading the councils are either pro-EV or anti-EV, or perhaps they just prefer to spend the money on areas that they thing their voters will like.

K
But they have to get there. At present there is no charge only for commercial vehicles. This is a way to introduce a charge for all polluting vehicles but exclude those just passing through :D

.....just another place to add to my growing list of places to avoid!!

Lambeth have introduced additional rates for diesel vehicles, another thing to put people off driving said cars in the area, not a bad thing IMO.

The irony is how poorly administered it has been, I parked my Tesla on the street parking there and had to pay the diesel surcharge… as the ‘Just Park’ app which they wanted me to use had no option for the EV rate. 🤦‍♂️ Still no reply from the customer support after paying the higher rate and asking for reimbursement.

But they have to get there. At present there is no charge only for commercial vehicles. This is a way to introduce a charge for all polluting vehicles but exclude those just passing through :D

So you can drive around the City all day in your polluting car with no charge but when you park you pay more than a "cleaner" car for the privilege , yet another genius idea.

K

So you can drive around the City all day in your polluting car with no charge but when you park you pay more than a "cleaner" car for the privilege , yet another genius idea.

K
Of course they’ll tell you that the higher rate is to deter dirty vehicles from entering the city.

It's 100% down to the local Council, I think.

If people have cars, them they either park them on their drives in which case they can install charges at home, or they park them in the street in which case the council can install bollards chargers or lamppost chargers.

In Westminster where I leave, the council is very EV-minded and have installed public lamppost chargers 5 years ago. In some other London boroughs, there are very few public chargers.

There's no technical impediment to having public chargers in towns and cities anywhere in the UK, I don't think. But just as opinions are divided on this forum, I guess that the people leading the councils are either pro-EV or anti-EV, or perhaps they just prefer to spend the money on areas that they thing their voters will like.
That reminds me I think it may have been Bath that turned down the mobile operators applications to install 5G masts for some obscure reason?

Ah so my memory is not failing then :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom