Sound system upgrade for cls 55 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

italian_cls55amg

Car
CLS 55 AMG
The speakers on the basic setup in the CLS are rubbish so a speaker upgrade on the MB unit makes a huge difference. Actually they are worse than rubbish.

The biggest difference was upgrading the centre speaker for £20

The Infotainment system comprises of a head unit and speakers.

On my W203 I have retrofitted COMAND NTG2.5 instead of Audio20. NTG2.5 is a great unit, but without a speakers upgrade to match, the difference in sound quality was minimal.

On my W204 I have retrofitted COMMAND NTG4.7 instead of Audio20 as well as a speaker system upgrade (both carried-out by www.comand.co.uk) and the sound quality is amazing - I believe the new speakers had more effect than the new head unit.

So the question is - are you looking for better sound? If so make sure you upgrade the speakers (with or without an companying head unit upgrade). Or are you just looking for a better head unit - better navigation, Bluetooth, that sort of thing, but not necessary better sound? If so then I am afraid I can't advice on these Android units, as all I ever had wad COMAND... so no idea.

Good luck with it either way.

On my W203 I have retrofitted COMAND NTG2.5 instead of Audio20. NTG2.5 is a great unit, but without a speakers upgrade to match, the difference in sound quality was minimal.

On my W204 I have retrofitted COMMAND NTG4.7 instead of Audio20 as well as a speaker system upgrade (both carried-out by www.comand.co.uk) and the sound quality is amazing - I believe the new speakers had more effect than the new head unit.

So the question is - are you looking for better sound? If so make sure you upgrade the speakers (with or without an companying head unit upgrade). Or are you just looking for a better head unit - better navigation, Bluetooth, that sort of thing, but not necessary better sound? If so then I am afraid I can't advice on these Android units, as all I ever had wad COMAND... so no idea.

I'm basically after a bit of both. A head unit that looks simular to what I've got but with upgraded technology. Nav, bluetooth,dab, touchscreen. I will be also upgrading my speakers and overall sound of the system but thought I'd start at the head.

Do the speakers first, it makes the biggest difference - the installed ones really are pants

Do the speakers first, it makes the biggest difference - the installed ones really are pants

Could do... i just hate listening to the current radio set up as i have no dab, Bluetooth or phone connection.
Sound is important but i need something good to play the sound lol

Opinion in the past has been that the standard speakers are not that bad, assuming in good condition, it's what's driving them that is the biggest issue, a decent amp should be first on the list.

I'm thinking of upgrading or updating my current sound unit in my cls 55 amg. Want it to look as original as possible so i came across this one. Have any of you guys seen this or know someone who has fitted something similar?
Please click both links below.
Thanks

Android 7.1 Car Stereo Sat Nav Mercedes Benz E/CLS/G Class W211 W219 W463 BT DAB | eBay

AD71-BENB219-7001
Looks a great bit of kit that for decent money. I just wonder how easy it is to set it up in the car. Would it have to be programmed to the car. I think it looks really good bit of kit.

Good find.

That's a cheap Chinese head unit; there are numerous brands on the market, all very similar in appearance, all probably with the same innnards, some cheaper, some more expensive.

If it lasts, it was excellent value for money; if it doesn't, you will be in a world of pain trying to get any sort of redress. You pays your money and takes your choice...

In fear of sounding thick, how could I confirm what type of command set up is currently fitted? Is it noted in some sub menu somewhere?

You want better all round ICE, have a word with the guys at Comandonline. They do a great line of speaker upgrades and if you still need a head unit change they can help there also.
I'd avoid the Chinese clone units, great initial impression but they rarely last well and the background tech is very flaky ...

Depending on the age of your CLS55, it will have either the earlier COMAND NTG2 unit:

140316d1222557286-2006-cls55-sale-dash_fisheye.jpg

Or the later COMAND NTG2.5:

DDs.jpg

Note the SD-Card slot on top of the CD/DVD drive on the NTG2.5.

Most if not all CLS55 come with HK systems, so will have the extra amp in the boot, connected via optical cable. It wouldn't be so straight forward to replace..

Opinion in the past has been that the standard speakers are not that bad, assuming in good condition, it's what's driving them that is the biggest issue, a decent amp should be first on the list.

Have you never taken one out and looked at it - wobbly plastic spider and magnets the size of a twopenny piece. It is the least technology MB could get away with. When I changed my speakers (Morel/Pioneer) it proved the headunit (NTG2.5) has some decent amplification. I am talking about the basic speakers not the HK versions.

The other advantage of replacing the speakers is that it gives access to inside the doors to fit sound dampening material. That reduces the overall noise levels and makes the car quieter.

I have been eyeing these up on eBay for a while and my main worry in retaining the menu options and steering wheel controls.

They seem a bit to good to be true given what is packed into them so i'm quite interested if any one has fitted one.

I have looked at command online but they are too expensive for me to upgrade to COMAND NTG2.5.

Hi Larkone , you mentioned in a previous post that replacing the centre front speaker with a Faital Pro 3FE22 and it made a considerable difference to the sound from the system.

Do you know if the HK equipped CLS has a stock MB speaker or a HK one fitted to the dash centre position ?

Kenny

It is possible to replace the HK amp with a Audison Prima 8.9 eight channel - pricey though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom