Sound system upgrade for cls 55 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ChrisA has recently had full Audison upgrade done on his S63 by Execspec in Nottingham. I asked for his feedback as I was looking at going down the same route and he says the difference is massively in favour of Audison over HK.

Could do... i just hate listening to the current radio set up as i have no dab, Bluetooth or phone connection.
Sound is important but i need something good to play the sound lol

Bluetooth is sorted for £11 with the Anker unit

My CLS 55 sound system was garbage as is the S63 so I opted for a complete speaker/amp upgrade although the front Harmon speakers weren't too bad, the rear and subwoofer were shocking as was the stock amp so I went with Execspec in Nottingham for the following installation:
  • Audison Prima 8.9 - 8 channel bit processor
  • Audison AP1 D - 540w amp for rear parcel woofer (APS8)
  • x 1 Audison Prima APS8 rear parcel shelf sub
  • x 2 Hertz Energy ESK 165L.5 - 300w front door components
  • x 2 Hertz Energy ECX 130.5 225w rear doors
  • All doors soundproofed
  • Fabricated door mounts and sub mount behind rear armrest
A complete transformation in the quality of sound. I wasn't looking for loud chav boom box noise, I was looking for clear sounds throughout the range. I wanted to hear the Hi-hat clearly but also the bass drum kick and this certainly does the job!
One thing the S Class lacks is an equaliser as it only has treble, bass and fade via command so although the Audison 8.9 is like an equaliser in so much as you plug it into a laptop after initial installation and adjust all speakers as you please then that's it. Great for setting the car speakers up but different genres of music require different settings so a decent graphic equaliser will be installed soon.

It's not cheap but I spend a lot of time travelling abroad so, for me, money well spent

Opinion in the past has been that the standard speakers are not that bad, assuming in good condition, it's what's driving them that is the biggest issue, a decent amp should be first on the list.
I really wouldnt put an amp in with standard speakers. You will blow them up.

The single best improvement to the sound is achieved by replacing the door speakers for decent ones and insulating with plenty of dynamat. If you then want more power think about an amp then.

I think I will stay well clear of these aftermarket head units with the well Knowledgeable chaps on this forum. It's a no go then for me.
If I have the DVD/cd slot at the top of the head unit does this mean I have the NG2.5 version command ?

I'm nearly sure I don't have the HK on my car as I don't have the extra options in the audio setting screen.

I'm after Bluetooth and ability to use an ipod or my Android phone to listen to my music. What set up do I need guys?

Audio is not my thing lol but I want better usage than what I currently have. Nav upgrade would be handy too.

Thanks

TS, sorry to hijack thread.

Tom

I think I will stay well clear of these aftermarket head units with the well Knowledgeable chaps on this forum. It's a no go then for me.
If I have the DVD/cd slot at the top of the head unit does this mean I have the NG2.5 version command ?

I'm nearly sure I don't have the HK on my car as I don't have the extra options in the audio setting screen.

I'm after Bluetooth and ability to use an ipod or my Android phone to listen to my music. What set up do I need guys?

Audio is not my thing lol but I want better usage than what I currently have. Nav upgrade would be handy too.

Thanks

TS, sorry to hijack thread.

Tom
Wasn't hijacked at all mate. All the stuff said by you and others all helped to be honest.
Will sort out what i want soon, simular to everything you want really. Just unsure what route to take.

I am not an audiophile, but the sound system upgrade installed to my W204 by www.comand.co.uk was very reasonably priced and got the thumbs-up from little Miss MJ (she's 16 and very much into music), so I am happy :)

Both NTG 2 and NTG 2.5 have the CD/DVD slot above the screen. The NTG 2.5 has an extra slot for an SD card.
Do any of your door speakers have the HK logo on them? Take a look at your datacard and if you have option 810 you have HK.
If not you have Bose.

Hi Larkone , you mentioned in a previous post that replacing the centre front speaker with a Faital Pro 3FE22 and it made a considerable difference to the sound from the system.

Do you know if the HK equipped CLS has a stock MB speaker or a HK one fitted to the dash centre position ?

Kenny

No idea as I have never owned a MB with a HK system. If you fit the Faital I found it gave the best sound by taking the capictor from the original speaker as well as it cuts the lower frequency sounds and stops it being overloaded. Does make listening to telephone calls a huge improvement.

Not a direct comparison, but last summer I drove a BMW 440i fitted with an original HK system, and while the sound was great it was not as good as the sound system in my car fitted by Comand Online.

I have one...love it.

Did you fit it yourself and if so was it straightforward? I have the standard NTG1 Comand setup in my 2003 E55 and was thinking of an upgrade to this unit. I note you have to purchase the DAB bit separately and that it only accepts SD cards up to 32Gb, but looks to be good value and not at all incongruous to the interior design.

Did you fit it yourself and if so was it straightforward? I have the standard NTG1 Comand setup in my 2003 E55 and was thinking of an upgrade to this unit. I note you have to purchase the DAB bit separately and that it only accepts SD cards up to 32Gb, but looks to be good value and not at all incongruous to the interior design.

Yes, fitted it myself.

Has some difficulty including removing much of the interior of the car and boot.

After market Android 4.4.4 Quad Core complete install. Vids and Pics and txt - MBWorld.org Forums

Mine don't have the HK on any speakers so I must have the poorer bose sound quality I take it. I will upgrade and think I will go along to command online they seem to be the answer to all this ICE stuff.

Cheers

Has anyone had the Morel upgrade speakers? Mine C63 system is not great as it is the standard and the above recommendation of Comand has me looking at them as they are only 20 miles from my place.

Has anyone had the Morel upgrade speakers? Mine C63 system is not great as it is the standard and the above recommendation of Comand has me looking at them as they are only 20 miles from my place.

Yes - worth it.

Yes. Highly recommended. Comand Online fitted them to my W204 (with Dynamat sound proofing) and they are are absolutely fantastic. And this is only their Maximo entry-level range............. which is designed as direct replacement to the original speakers, keeping the cabin looking 100% original.

It was recommended by Alfie, and I suggest that anyone seeking sound system upgrade listens very carefully to his advice.

See also: CAR AUDIO - Morel

I bought from Command Online as well, though I would recommend adding to the sound deadening and doing all of the door skin and some of the door card. I also did under the rear seats and all around the boot as lots of noise creeps in from there. Surprising just how quiet you can make a CLS.

Yep I've got Morel elates running active in my e class in fully sealed doors off about 350rms a side controlled by a bit ten d. They sound amazing.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom