Speechless!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saff

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 D4 4.2 TDI W246 B180 CDI Sport
My cul-de-sac exits onto a 30 mph limit road which bends to the left one way and to the right the other, both directions are heading uphill. Obviously care must be taken when pulling out as people sometimes exceed the 30 limit.:rolleyes: Yesterday I checked both ways and pulled out to the right. Next I knew was a red beemer up my rrrs, lights ablaze. He pulls past and in front shaking his fist. He then disappears up the road and is gone.
The inference was that he believed that I'd pulled out on him and he was proper upset about it. How I can pull out on something that isn't there when I check I don't know but he seemed to think it was ok for him to drive at God-only-knows-what mph in a 30 limit in a built up area.
Sorry, rant over.

This is an old problem.

You look right, you look left, you look right again - all clear and you pull out.

Then someone doing XXX mph crashes into you, and in the eyes of the insurer (and the law) it's your fault.

In serious accidents the speed of the vehicles involved can be forensically ascertained by the police, but when it comes to accidents where there's only damage to metal, there's no hope for the unfairly-blamed party.

Also, asking the Council to put-up signes e.g. 'Concealed entrance' might help to some extend, or a junction sign with a warning etc, though it will probably not deter the hard-core 'getaway car' drivers. Perhaps vibrating paint lines might do the trick.

I have almost this same issue leaving my driveway onto a 'B' road. To the left I have a 100 yards straight then a 90° bend and to the right of my drive I have a 100 yards straight with a 45° sweeping bend with a dip. The bends in that road (especially the 90°) are too severe do be driving at 60mph, but as you can imagine for lot's and lot's of people 60mph is slow.

From past experiences by the time I've looked right, then left and right again, often some crazy fool has blasted around the corner at mach 6 and is upon me before I've had time to send the 'GO' message from my brain to my right foot. I could find myself going dizzy looking, left, right, left, right....................

Many times like the OP, I've pulled out with nothing in sight only to find flashing main beams and shaking fists in my RVM. :dk:

My BiL had the unfortunate experience of watching 2 motor bike riders slide past him on their sides into the hedge as he "pulled out on them".

After living there for nearly 6 years I've now opted for a quick look right, a quick look left, another quick look right, eyes closed and go.

I've the same issue where I pull out of our cul de sac, and I've had a few that need to slow to 20ish as I turn right to go up hill as I'm not going to hoof my cold engine.

It has me thinking that a convex mirror on t'other side of the not main carraigeway might be useful. Maybe a letter to the local council / highways might be good.

[QUOTE="m80, post: 2806815, member

Maybe a letter to the local council / highways might be good.[/QUOTE]

It would be a waste of ink, paper, stamp and your time in this day and age because I would be shocked if anybody in the council would be remotely interested in today’s climate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom