Speeding advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I understood it to be limit plus 10% plus 2mph gets overlooked, 10% plus 3mph gets an awareness course. Ideally for you the speed team were packing up - or just arrived and not ready to capture infringements.

Good luck

I understood it to be limit plus 10% plus 2mph gets overlooked, 10% plus 3mph gets an awareness course. Ideally for you the speed team were packing up - or just arrived and not ready to capture infringements.

Good luck

Setting up or packing up would do nicely thank you:D

Well there is little point in going on a speed awareness course because insurance companies want to know about them,they are boring,and all the money you pay goes to having more speed cameras,where as a fine goes to the government to waste as they see fit,the only advantage of not getting the points is if you hire cars or vans they do not like points.

That is good for 140+:devil:

amg brakes are very good,not sure exactly how far those mobile cameras get a fix on you but confident I was under 3 figures when I was in range;)

Would only be offered a SAC if you haven't already done one in the last three years. I was done last week in my Pagoda at 36mph. Just 50yds short of a 40mph zone.

Well there is little point in going on a speed awareness course because insurance companies want to know about them,they are boring,and all the money you pay goes to having more speed cameras,where as a fine goes to the government to waste as they see fit,the only advantage of not getting the points is if you hire cars or vans they do not like points.

On my course we were told not to inform insurance as we hadn't been convicted.

I renewed insurance via a comparison site a short while ago and there was no drop down about SAC anywhere on the proforma. Stuff does change though, over time.

Would only be offered a SAC if you haven't already done one in the last three years. I was done last week in my Pagoda at 36mph. Just 50yds short of a 40mph zone.

Never done a sac:cool:

On my course we were told not to inform insurance as we hadn't been convicted.

I renewed insurance via a comparison site a short while ago and there was no drop down about SAC anywhere on the proforma. Stuff does change though, over time.

If you are not asked you do not have to offer up the information, if asked you must tell them.

Some do ask, most don't.

If you are not asked you do not have to offer up the information, if asked you must tell them.

Some do ask, most don't.

Interestingly enough SWMBO has a pending speeding conviction when I've just insured JSWMBO car both me and SWMBO are named drivers, the policy was cheaper with an SP30 than declaring a speed awareness course by £84 per year

steve333 said:
What area if you don't mind me asking and was it a mobile/fixed camera or we're you stopped?

It was on a dual carriageway near the M32 in Bristol. It was by a mobile van but I thought I'd slowed down in time. Obviously not. Letter came through the post about a week after I'd been caught

I've just been done for 38 in a 30 by a mobile van, taking up the offer of the sac purely to avoid an insurance hike. The police are having a purge around here at the moment, the mobile vans are setup before 7am most mornings.

You can't declare a speed awareness course as there's no record of it at dvla, like they record your points.
Insurance companies have no way to check if you've done the course.
It's a local council course.

If you were to declare it you should get a reduction in your insurance as you have had professional driver training, so you are now a more qualified and safer driver.

I did a course a few years ago, Ihave no idea what year or month it was so it never gets declared, ive had a claim since(it's within 5 years) and there were no issues.

You might not hear anything, I know someone ;) who has driven past one on an A road a couple of years ago and didn't hear anything. They also got flashed by one a couple of months ago by a fixed camera and haven't heard anything. Also, I think the police have 2 weeks to inform you by post

You might not hear anything, I know someone ;) who has driven past one on an A road a couple of years ago and didn't hear anything. They also got flashed by one a couple of months ago by a fixed camera and haven't heard anything. Also, I think the police have 2 weeks to inform you by post

Can't wait for 2 weeks to pass if that's the case,thanks for the info!:cool:

Went by a police looking car parked on a motorway gantry the other day. We were all probably over, but no one seemed to slow down and I reacted a little too slowly. When I went underneath I noticed vosa written all over it. I have gone quite quickly by a similar car before and have come to the conclusion that they aren't checking your speed! That said, lots and lots of mobile camera vans in the 30 areas where I live. They love to police those. Shame they don't stop any actual more serious crime in the area.

I was cought by a hand held radar gun with the Copper standing in the middle of the outside carrigeway!
He'd obviouslty not heard about Audi Allroad brakes..

58 in a 30 limit. No option to do the SAC, just £60 fine and 3 points.

Interestingly, the code was SP30, which I would have got for 31, so I was not to unhappy with the outcome. Didn't make any difference to my insurance, but it annoyed me because it was my first speeding ticket for 40 years!

Can't wait for 2 weeks to pass if that's the case,thanks for the info!:cool:

Give it 3 as they have to get it in the post to you within 14 days, so may be 16-17 before it lands on the doormat.

Here in dear old Essex all these mobile speed van drivers are the police on their days off,we used to have a radio station that broadcast where they would be during the day,after all they are safety cameras,but I believe they stopped the radio station,be aware that because of the greed for more money the static 30 mph cameras are being set at 1 mph over.I must admit having been doing a regular run up to Huntingdon twice a week for the last 3 weeks I have yet to see a mobile van on the A12/A14,around here it seems to very quiet at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom