• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Spilt drink - now beeping!

MissVix

Car
E220 CDI coupe
Hiya,

I had a horrendous accident in my 2016 E220 coupe 90 mins ago where I failed to put a KFC coke in the drinks holder and it spilt all over the infotainment controls.

For the most part it seems to be working okay (although there’s some niggles) however I’ve now noticed a beeping coming from under the hood near the grill.

The time between beeps varies and it doesn’t sound 100% healthy - sometimes it seems to distort a little - and I’m wondering what this is and if my car is going to start and be safe. I can’t hear it when the engine is running.

Any ideas?

I beep erratically if I spill my Guinness.

I hope that helps.

Not surprised. Lack of gravity where you are. Coke is awful stuff and will cause havoc with electrical connections I'm afraid.

Hiya,

I had a horrendous accident in my 2016 E220 coupe 90 mins ago where I failed to put a KFC coke in the drinks holder and it spilt all over the infotainment controls.

For the most part it seems to be working okay (although there’s some niggles) however I’ve now noticed a beeping coming from under the hood near the grill.

The time between beeps varies and it doesn’t sound 100% healthy - sometimes it seems to distort a little - and I’m wondering what this is and if my car is going to start and be safe. I can’t hear it when the engine is running.

Any ideas?
Coke and electrical equipment don't mix at all. I would be getting an auto electrician to do some investigation and testing - at least removing components and cleaning. Alternatively, If you have a local indie, a Star diagnosis might tie the problem down. I doubt that you will have escaped without damage to some components.

Thanks for the replies so far. The good news is my car drives okay this morning but the infotainment controls are goosed and not responding (though the S, M and E selector still works.

Is it just a case of replacing these controls and if so any idea of cost?

I’m booked in with a Mercedes indie next week so fingers crossed.

Hopefully as it’s recent it’ll just be whatever controls it was spilled on mat get away with cleaning once apart, but more likely to be replacement of those components. I think you’d be unlucky for it to have caused wider issues. Not unheard of, but unlucky.

No idea what the beeps are, though. Could that be the emergency sos call function speaker inside the head unit?! (If you use the head unit to call to pair Mercedes me app it calls using the same tinny sounding speaker and sends data to them from the car to confirm the car and pair with Mercedes me). Might be giving you beeps to let you know the attached controls are not responding correctly, rather than have a fault in the unit itself).

Hopefully a swift and generous application of switch cleaner will solve the problem, but I do dimly recall from my airfreight/roadfreight days that Coca Cola, either concentrate or diluted was classed as HazMat.
Makes you wonder what it does to your insides o_O

Makes you wonder what it does to your insides
Nothing.....sure coke is slightly corrosive if left long enough.....but not a patch on your stomach acid......!

If cleaning doesn’t do the job, and I’m looking at replacing the component parts, do you have an idea of estimated cost?

I thought only Americans drunk Coke in their cars (Drink Under Influence) in the greatest country where jumbo jug cup holders were invented?
This is a very bad thing to do in a car, drinking & spilling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom