Spring selection tables anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quasarman

Car
C320 Avantgarde SE Estate
Hi all,

Does anyone have a copy of the spring selector table for a pre-facelift W203 they could let me have please.

I want to double check before I order a new set of rear springs/shims/boots for the back end on my 203. I need this as A) I keep getting different answers from merc parts departments! B) Even if they were consistent they would still be wrong as my car has changed since leaving the factory (lpg conversion) and my boot is frequently full of fairly heavy gear. So despite having sport suspension I need a few more mm clearance at the back. I've had enough of seeing in my reflection the rear arches overlapping the tyres and a nice 1" gap at the front.....

Any help much appreciated

If there's no such thing how come I've previously been sent a copy? I've lost the one I had...

The EPC will give me the original part no's as factory fitted, as I thought I'd clarified these are of no use as this has my car dragging its **** around. I've even had problems getting tracking done as the equipment would not go on the rear tyres! I've also ended up with different springs on the same axle.......all this thanks to EPC.

I would like a copy of the points system that IS used to calculate which spring/rubber boot combination should be chosen based on options fitted. This way I can compensate for my current weight distributions/equipment now fitted.

Sorry if this sounds arsy Olly but I don't like being told something doesn't exist when I know it does

There are no tables as such. It is all done on EPC. Sign up for EPC and enter the chassis number and all the info will be infront of you.

You can add up the points just for a 203. You dont have to enter the full chassis number. Maybe elegance springs would be better?

Hmmm, what the difference with the elegance springs? I currently have avantgarde sports setup with I think the 9mm boots. This is a new suggestion for me.

Perhaps the 'table' I've previously been sent was just a printout from epc?

I don't want to change the handling just the ride height a little...

Hmmm, what the difference with the elegance springs? I currently have avantgarde sports setup with I think the 9mm boots. This is a new suggestion for me.

Perhaps the 'table' I've previously been sent was just a printout from epc?

Probably from EPC.

Elegance springs are taller than AG.

If you can see the colour coding on the existing spring and count the " pips" on the edge of the spring pads this should give you a reference point. MERCEDES often divide their same rated springs into 2 categories LONG Blueand SHORTRed The difference in ride height is adjusted by using thin pads with long springs and thick pads on short springs. This is independent of spring rating. Sounds as if you were perhaps supplied with short rear springs [blue] when the previous ones were red and the rear pads were not adjusted accordingly. :dk: The table you were given almost certainly came from the Mercedes EPC. As BlackC55 says Elegance springs have a higher ride height as standard compared to the AG
ps since I don't think your LPG tank is not going to be included in MERCEDES spring rating points table you are going to have to "wing it" a bit anyway. Assuming you have a saloon then the normal or heavy duty estate car springs would be a good starting off point?

Last edited:
The problem I have is that a broken spring was previously replaced with one that did not match the other side of the axle by a national chain who's 'defence' was that 'thats what mercedes sent us'. Funnily enough its never been right since hence replacing both sides at once (as may be argued should be the case anyway).

I want to gain about 10mm over the original ride height without changing the handling (apart from that due to this geometry change) or doing anything that could be construed 'modifying' by insurance companies. I believe I can do so by changing the boots and putting the correct springs back on.

The elegance option intrigues me from a longevity point of view as these will be my 3rd and 4th springs on the same axle in 2 years. I was planning to just put the sacrificial shims on with the springs to tackle the corrosion issue (no doubt these have never been replaced, one merc parts guy told me he's never sold one another had never even heard of them!) BUT do the elegance springs suffer as badly as the avantgarde from the corrosion leading to breakage problem? Whats the difference in ride height and cost?

If you can see the colour coding on the existing spring and count the " pips" on the edge of the spring pads this should give you a reference point. MERCEDES often divide their same rated springs into 2 categories LONG Blueand SHORTRed The difference in ride height is adjusted by using thin pads with long springs and thick pads on short springs. This is independent of spring rating. Sounds as if you were perhaps supplied with short rear springs [blue] when the previous ones were red and the rear pads were not adjusted accordingly. :dk: The table you were given almost certainly came from the Mercedes EPC. As BlackC55 says Elegance springs have a higher ride height as standard compared to the AG
ps since I don't think your LPG tank is not going to be included in MERCEDES spring rating points table you are going to have to "wing it" a bit anyway. Assuming you have a saloon then the normal or heavy duty estate car springs would be a good starting off point?

Thanks grober, mine is an estate anyway, heavy duty sounds good but I may already have this???

Another line of questioning then....

What I want to check is that by ordering part nos 2103243604, 2103250284 and 2033240084 I will get the strongest springs available (from merc) and gain a few mm over the original ride height.

No point checking whats currently on the axle as its all been messed up already....

The Elegance springs may be slightly less liable to spring "crush" being slightly higher in height but the suspension bump stops should really prevent this from happening anyway. In other aspects longevity, resistance to breaking, corrosion they will be identical the AG ones. Its possible your lower ride height is partly due to the increased weight of the LPG TANK causing the standard springs to be naturally compressed more. I would suggest that a higher rated or heavy duty spring [ such as off an estate car ] will help both ride height and longevity as it will resist the increased suspension loads better.

Sorry I DIDN'T REALISE YOU HAVE AN ESTATE. but a higher rated spring is perhaps what you need.

Last edited:
Here's the spring table FOR THE C320 estate non self levelling. you will start of with 203.264 chassis 182 points then add on the extra equipment---I would also CONSIDER including something like between 8 [trailer hitch] and 12 [police + roof expansion ] for your LPG depending on how big it is or whether its a toroidal wheel well or "above axle" cylindrical one?

Last edited:
Thanks Graeme

That is part of the tables i've been trying to get hold of along with the other page(s) that give the part numbers needed for differing models based on the points score. I can barely read it though, any chance you could send me the whole thing somehow?

Cheers
Tim

Fantastic, big thanks Graeme

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom