Starting woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
1991 Passat TDi 130 Hiline, 1991 Mercedes 190E 2.0 Auto, 1984 Mercedes 500sec, 1991 Saab 900s LPT
My 1991 190e 2.0 auto has been sitting idle a while. During this time the battery has gone flat but the car would start with the assistance of jump leads. Fine - new battery required.

Replaced the battery today but when I turn the key, all I get is a 'hissing' type noise and nothing from the starter. The immobiliser/alarm is working again as the central locking is fine - fan is also comimg on.

Any ideas?

When removing the old battery I did manage to crack the casing and allow the contents of one cell out. I washed this away with LOTS of water after I had removed this battery. I notice that there are a lot of wires in there and a relay.

Have I been extremely careless and caused alot more problems than just a simple change of battery?

Many thanks,

Mark S.

Sounds as if your pre-engaged starter solenoid is not kicking in. Try giving it a sharp tap with a length of wood- broom handle-- will do while operating the starter. Check both battery connections are clean and tight especially where the earth strap joins the body and that the main lead to the starter makes good contact.

Just gone and had another look. Found a square component swathed in insulating tape with a spade type connector and a the lead disconnected from it. Connected this up and....problem solved!

Don't know what I have done though. I assume this is part of the after market alarm/central locking fit that I must have dislodged during the battery replacement. The lead that I connected into the square component, runs from a relay type device marked on the top with, 12V 40A and with a switch symbol on one side and another wiring symbol on the other side, also on the top. This is mounted in front of the battery on the panel that has the suspension turret on the other side.

I would still like to know what this is. Is this now an electronics area query?

Regards,

Mark S.

I think this is a part of your after market alarm system. The alarm unit probably switches the relay off when activated thus breaking the starter solenoid supply. You may find it also switches off other units such as the ECU and or FUEL PUMP RELAY. You will just have to trace the wiring since there is no fixed method for wiring alarms up in that vintage of MB -- they were all dealer/aftermarket fits.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom