• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

But they are pieces of junk hence the price. Big miles and most probably not without issues.

Not the two Hondas I looked after for relatives.

One was a 2002 Honda Jazz that was SORNed for a couple of years and had no MOT, we gave it away to someone we know who MOTed it (passed on first attempt with no advisories) and is happily driving it to this day. With tax and MOT it would have been worth around £1,000.

The other was a 2004 Honda CR-V that a relative ran for acouple of years, these cars range between £1,500 and £1,750 for a good example (which his was), car is now surplus to requirements and only used infrequently by his father.

But the point is that the £2,000 scrappage grant is meant to help people with cars worth under £2,000 in trade-in value, otherwise they'd be better-off trading them in rather than scrapping them. So you'd expect their current car to be whatever a sub-£2k car is... and therefore a 20 years old petrol car as replacement isn't necessary going to be a major change for the worse compared to what they have now.

People who own cars more expensive than that are not necessarily rich, obviously, but they are likely not on the bread line either.

What about people that live just outside the ULEZ but work, take their children to school etc inside the zone. Are they eligible?

Perhaps a care worker who isn’t on brilliant money that lives in London Colney for example where the housing is a bit cheaper but can just about manage financially by working in Edgware. They have a Focus diesel that is in good condition but need to swap out for a reliable petrol.
Will he/she be eligible?

Last edited:
Not the two Hondas I looked after for relatives.

One was a 2002 Honda Jazz that was SORNed for a couple of years and had no MOT, we gave it away to someone we know who MOTed it (passed on first attempt with no advisories) and is happily driving it to this day. With tax and MOT it would have been worth around £1,000.

The other was a 2004 Honda CR-V that a relative ran for acouple of years, these cars range between £1,500 and £1,750 for a good example (which his was), car is now surplus to requirements and only used infrequently by his father.

But the point is that the £2,000 scrappage grant is meant to help people with cars worth under £2,000 in trade-in value, otherwise they'd be better-off trading them in rather than scrapping them. So you'd expect their current car to be whatever a sub-£2k car is... and therefore a 20 years old petrol car as replacement isn't necessary going to be a major change for the worse compared to what they have now.

People who own cars more expensive than that are not necessarily rich, obviously, but they are likely not on the bread line either.
Where is the money coming from?

The book is actually sold as non-fiction

Screenshot-20230903-121826-Chrome.jpg

Probably or is that a no?

It's a No for private car owners:

"Any London resident living in one of the 32 London boroughs or the City of London with an eligible vehicle can apply to scrap a car or motorcycle"

But the situation is less clear for vans and minibuses:

"Eligible businesses and sole traders can also apply to scrap or retrofit up to 3 vans or minibuses"

I am guessing that the business must have a trading address in London, but the owners/directors might be living outside London?

I get how a car entering a ULEZ from outwith is charged, but how are residents within a zone charged? Charged daily if they use the car? Charged daily even if they don't use the car?

You only get that if you're on universal credit. Which if you're employed full time on minimum wage you obviously don't get. Now try being on minimum wage trying to pay rent in London, whilst saving to get out of London and then having to buy a new car or pay £12.50 every day to go to your minimum wage job.

Its not that easy!

I feel like some of the comments on here have no real life experience of a life without a combined household income of 100k.
Most people can't just sell a car that's not complient (who to, it's worth **** all in the area they're selling) and buy a car that's now 2k over it's book price just because it's compliment.

This has nothing to do with clean air, it's control and record.
The combined income for my household is less than half your quoted £100k. Does that mean you’ll agree with me now? 😉

You talked about the difficulties for lower wage earners of saving to get out of London. As a low wage earner in my youth ( several centuries ago) I moved out of London in an instant because I couldn’t afford to stay in my town of birth. It makes no sense to me to save to get out of London, unless you have unrealistic aims for a massive increase in living style.

Also, £160m have been allocated to the scrappage grant scheme, on first come first serve basis. So that's 80,000 cars. The question is if the total amount available has also been increased, or is it just the eligibility criteria that has changed? If the latter, then the overall cost of the scheme won't be affected by the recent change.

What about it?
As I said earlier, it’s nonsense. It’s something that was discussed at great length (not surprisingly) some time ago within this very forum. I see no point in going over all that here. Feel free to search and read.

I get how a car entering a ULEZ from outwith is charged, but how are residents within a zone charged? Charged daily if they use the car? Charged daily even if they don't use the car?

They will be need to pay the charge on any day when they used their car.

I have no doubt that enterprising residents will chart routes that do no pass by any of the ULEZ cameras, thus avoid the charge.

So on a practical level, you don't have to pay if you're not driving the car by a ULEZ camera. But strictly speaking, if you have a non-compliant car and drive it - even if only the shops and back - you have to pay the ULEZ charge for that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom