• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

My example is describing 1000,s of key workers who have to commute from just outside the ULEZ to inside.

How many of them have non-compliant cars, do we know?

I get how a car entering a ULEZ from outwith is charged, but how are residents within a zone charged? Charged daily if they use the car? Charged daily even if they don't use the car?
I think if they get their photo taken within the zone. The database checks their address in relation to where the photo is taken.
So if I drive from my house which is inside the zone into Hendon which is also in the zone and get caught by a camera it’s a £12.50 tax bill.

If I drive from my house to the gym which is 800 metres I know there are no cameras so I suppose I won’t get charged.

I’m probably wrong though.

Last edited:
How many of them have non-compliant cars, do we know?
Sit on the A1 from South Mimms towards Apex Corner and count ‘em baby. Ker-ching.

Then multiply this using the busy routes into the burbs and Kahn is getting to his projected 2.5 million a day very quickly.

The best part of it is that he hasn’t got to pay them a penny in scrappage scheme. Loads of money all made in the name cleaning up the air!!
Alan B’stard would’ve been proud.

Last edited:
The combined income for my household is less than half your quoted £100k. Does that mean you’ll agree with me now? 😉

You talked about the difficulties for lower wage earners of saving to get out of London. As a low wage earner in my youth ( several centuries ago) I moved out of London in an instant because I couldn’t afford to stay in my town of birth. It makes no sense to me to save to get out of London, unless you have unrealistic aims for a massive increase in living style.

There are many cities around the world where the majority of workers come from outside. Then you get massive commuting issues and the infamous rush hours affecting people travelling by car, bus, or train. This model allows workers to have a decent standard of living (not too dissimilar to how some foreign workers work in the UK and send the money to their families abroad), but it comes at a price in terms of transport.

If you could get foreign investors to stop buying properties in London, maybe house prices would go down, workers will be able to live inside the city, and our traffic issues will be a thing of the past.

But the downside is than when people on lower incomes displace high earners, it's generally bad news for local businesses... Pret and Starbucks can sell a cup of coffee for £3.50 only in certain areas. It will be back to the greasy spoon Caffe where you get a full English for that price. Progress? A step backwards? I really don't know.

Sit on the A1 from South Mimms towards Apex Corner and count ‘em baby. Ker-ching.

Then multiply this using the busy routes into the burbs and Kahn is getting to his projected 2.5 million a day very quickly.

The best part of it is that he hasn’t got to pay them a penny in scrappage scheme.

I used to see the incoming queue on the M1 from J8 down to Brent Cross on daily bases (lived in North London and contracted outside of the city, so travelled in the opposite direction). But how can you tell if a car is ULEZ compliant or not just by looking at it? How can you even tell if it's a Diesel just by seeing it in the queue?

I used to see the incoming queue on the M1 from J8 down to Brent Cross on daily bases (lived in North London and contracted outside of the city, so travelled in the opposite direction). But how can you tell if a car is ULEZ compliant or not just by looking at it? How can you even tell if it's a Diesel just by seeing it in the queue?
If you know your cars you’ll know.

Or by the plumes of black smoke coming from the exhaust!! 🤣🤣 Or the noise.

You can’t.

If you stand behind it though and you can barely breathe with the horrific smell you’ll know it’s pre-Euro 6 diesel though.

You can’t.

If you stand behind it though and you can barely breathe with the horrific smell you’ll know it’s pre-Euro 6 diesel though.

Correct. And if it's stranded on the hard shoulder with the driver standing outside and looking helplessly at the engine bay, then it's a Euro 6 Diesel with the AdBlue system. Simple...

Correct. And if it's stranded on the hard shoulder with the driver standing outside and looking helplessly at the engine bay, then it's a Euro 6 Diesel with the AdBlue system. Simple...
😂

I’m seeing that all the time.

If I drive from my house to the gym which is 800 metres I know there are no cameras so I suppose I won’t get charged.

I’m probably wrong though.
I can’t be the only one thinking this - regardless of the charge would you really drive 800m to a gym to exercise? 😅😊

If you know your cars you’ll know.

Or by the plumes of black smoke coming from the exhaust!! 🤣🤣 Or the noise.

Stickers of "No poke without smoke" gives the game away.

Usually on a old VW with other ignorant stickers such as "Be patient I'm lowered"

To££ers

If it's on the hard shoulder with the bonnet not up then it's a car with a "green" bit at the front of the number plate :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I can’t be the only one thinking this - regardless of the charge would you really drive 800m to a gym to exercise? 😅😊

I had the same thought when our local gym introduced car lifts in their underground car park to double the parking spaces............ :doh:

Just logged on and seen no new posts on this for nearly 24 hours, what’s going on! 🤣😅😊

You can’t.

Im not sure about that to be honest. Standing behind my Euro 5 diesel i can't really smell anything, and the exhaust pipe is really clean. Stand behind my Wife's Abarth though and it pongs, and the exhausts are caked in carbon. Its just passed it's MoT so must be within its emissions tolerances. Something there doesn't seem right!

My E5 derv also never smokes even under full clog! E5 do have EGRs and DPF.....so there should be no visible smoke when revved as its an MOT failure these days.

....Stand behind my Wife's Abarth though and it pongs, and the exhausts are caked in carbon. Its just passed it's MoT so must be within its emissions tolerances. Something there doesn't seem right!

This could be the result of making a lot of short journeys, or a failed thermostat. How's the fuel consumption?

Failing that, the Abarth is probably over-fueling - the MOT test only goes up to 2,500 RPM so likely the car has an issue at the higher rev - I don't know what diagnostic computer FIAT are using, but I suggest you get it checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom