• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

Which is a problem for me. Because I'd like to vote for the idea, but I don't like Khan. What do I do? Dilemma.
You have such faith that the idea will be fair and well implemented and not a cash grab. I admire that. Not sure I see much evidence that will be the case, however.

However as an EV owner you’ll likely be on the lighter end of the tax, so you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
That’s very interesting thanks , I might be able to get to see the Mother in law in my car by avoiding working cameras and saving £12.50 .

If it's anything like the Congestion Charge cameras, then it's unlikely that you'll be able to do that... but good luck in any event.

It’s unlikely you can dodge the cameras, there are too many of the darn things (because they are set up for road pricing). You could potentially set up auto payment and see if you get charged on particular routes. That way you won’t risk a PCN.

Just realised ToeKnee and ToeKneeS in the same thread... that was throwing me off a bit.
He's an interloper........ 🤣🤣

Sorry, my bad. When registering I didn’t first check to see if there was an existing member with almost the same name. I’d change mine if I could, but I don’t know how.
Your similar user name to mine is not a problem to me and I doubt it is too most on here but if you seriously did want to change then a private message to Killerhertz with a suggestion for a new user name may get it done?

It is regular yes, but short distance. Or, it can be sporadic. I’m not 100% if the Golf will be safe and reliable enough but trying my best to get it into reliable shape - as reliable as a 20 year old car can be.

If not he can just have my MB and I’ll have the Golf. I’m exhausted of working on the car (older cars just keep throwing problems at you and I can’t afford the time and money to keep fixing things) so that he has some dignity and doesn’t feel like he’s driving an old banger and I’m also tired of thinking about it all. So if the Golf doesn’t work I’ll just drive it and he can have my car. I’m sick of it all and just want the problems to go away. Obviously older people have personal and familial codependency struggles which add another dimension which are not really taken into account when folks aren’t in that position and can’t empathise and just say ‘just go and buy a 2004 Honda jazz what’s the problem’…

I think it’s worth selling his car now as it’s very low mileage and still worth something, and will only be worth less as time goes on. They need the money. I do appreciate what you're saying though! 👍🏽
My mum books them an Uber now for when they need to ‘drive’ somewhere which she’s quite happy with and finds it easy. They often use free buses when heading in to town for small shopping trips/days out or appointments etc. Up until a few years ago my dad would happily cycle for local trips which I think he enjoyed too :cool:

Tbh when you take the cost of RFL, insurance, MOT, maintenance and fuel into account an Uber is often a better option if the annual mileage is low. A lot less stressful too (I don’t know your Dad but I’m sure many older folks find modern traffic/car parks and the like can be overwhelming!)

Once I’d set the app up for them and shown them how to use it they were fine with it, worth a thought if nothing else as a backup option too :thumb:

Ulez camera locations -

Blimey 2,700 hours spent on that map.

Even at minimum wage that’s 10x 2k ULEZ compliant cars 🤣

My mum books them an Uber now for when they need to ‘drive’ somewhere which she’s quite happy with and finds it easy. They often use free buses when heading in to town for small shopping trips/days out or appointments etc. Up until a few years ago my dad would happily cycle for local trips which I think he enjoyed too :cool:

Tbh when you take the cost of RFL, insurance, MOT, maintenance and fuel into account an Uber is often a better option if the annual mileage is low. A lot less stressful too (I don’t know your Dad but I’m sure many older folks find modern traffic/car parks and the like can be overwhelming!)

Once I’d set the app up for them and shown them how to use it they were fine with it, worth a thought if nothing else as a backup option too :thumb:
I agree, life would be easier that way - but factor in the stubbornness of many (men?) over 80 and the sadness of losing their independence and it's not so easy to just say 'go without'. He drove my mother to the hospital just recently for an emergency.

They do have the app though, he's pretty computer savvy for someone his age!

It’s unlikely you can dodge the cameras, there are too many of the darn things (because they are set up for road pricing). You could potentially set up auto payment and see if you get charged on particular routes. That way you won’t risk a PCN.
She lives on the outer edge , (1km in ) so one camera only on the main route , if that’s out then it’s a free trip .
Yes I will set up an auto pay , just as I’ve done with inner Ulez and Dartford .

You have such faith that the idea will be well implemented and not a cash grab. I admire that. Not sure I see much evidence that will be the case, however.

I do..... I am a follower of John Locke. I believe that human nature is essentially good. Governments do get it wrong from time to time, but my own personal view is that in most cases they are trying to do the right thing as they see it, and only in a minority of cases do they act maliciously (Democratic Governments, that is).

But, not everyone agrees... one Mr Trump managed to become the President of the United States simply by leveraging people's irrational fear and hate of 'the establishment' and anything to do with the Federal State or authority in general. So I guess that there are quite a few people out there who have deep distrust in any form of central authority, and there's no shortage of politicians who will prey on that.

As for our very own Mr Khan, personally I believe that he's a terrible Mayor, but not because he's mean or vicious, but because he's a fool. Personal opinion.

Your similar user name to mine is not a problem to me and I doubt it is too most on here but if you seriously did want to change then a private message to Killerhertz with a suggestion for a new user name may get it done?
If you click on your user name above and then Account details, there is the option to change your username.

She lives on the outer edge , (1km in ) so one camera only on the main route , if that’s out then it’s a free trip .
Yes I will set up an auto pay , just as I’ve done with inner Ulez and Dartford .
I have autopay set up and obviously most times I have been charged, however there have been a couple of times when no charge was taken, I can only assume there was a camera issue on those times.
If I had not been on autopay then obviously I would have manually paid , in my case using autopay gave me a couple of " freebies "

When I read posts by those with a shopping list length list of previously owned MBs disparagingly referring to older cars driven by normal owners as rotboxes, it gives a clue as to their superiority complex.
I’m sure it didn’t go unnoticed.

I have autopay set up and obviously most times I have been charged, however there have been a couple of times when no charge was taken, I can only assume there was a camera issue on those times.
If I had not been on autopay then obviously I would have manually paid , in my case using autopay gave me a couple of " freebies "
With the amount of vandalism going on, makes you wonder how many are actually working. 🤔

I have not read the whole rhread and this may have been covered, but hpw does paying £12.50 suddenly make the vehicle "clean"? Are all exempt vehicles such as busses, taxis etc assumed to be "clean"?
If it looks like a money generator it probably is.
A nice smokey Peugeot 404 diesel looks like a candidate as a replacement for a non compliant vehicle.

I have not read the whole rhread and this may have been covered, but hpw does paying £12.50 suddenly make the vehicle "clean"? Are all exempt vehicles such as busses, taxis etc assumed to be "clean"?
If it looks like a money generator it probably is.
A nice smokey Peugeot 404 diesel looks like a candidate as a replacement for a non compliant vehicle.
Taxis (the old diesel cabs) are significant contributors to the pollution in London.

I have not read the whole rhread and this may have been covered, but hpw does paying £12.50 suddenly make the vehicle "clean"?
We need a FAQ on this thread! :)

It doesn’t make it clean, it’s a charge to make people either think twice about driving a non-compliant vehicle with the incentive to swap to a cleaner vehicle that won’t cost £12.50.

You could apply the same logic to lots of things. Speeding fines don’t make it safe to exceed the speed limit, they’re a deterrent. Tax on sugar, cigarettes, alcohol etc - they don’t make these things any better for your health but they have an effect on behaviours.

I agree, life would be easier that way - but factor in the stubbornness of many (men?) over 80 and the sadness of losing their independence and it's not so easy to just say 'go without'. He drove my mother to the hospital just recently for an emergency.

They do have the app though, he's pretty computer savvy for someone his age!
Totally get the stubbornness thing, but then you/they are going to have to face this issue at some point in the not-to-distant future anyway I’d guess? Many of us will have been there - not saying the time is now but I think getting to 80 plus would be a reasonable time to time to regularly review one’s suitability and whether you need to drive or not. The timing of the ULEZ scheme in the future could be a good way to ease this discussion going forward without losing pride perhaps? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom