Stretching Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
Why do people stretch tyres? Is it because they can't afford the correct width for their wheels, or for some dynamic reason?

TIA

PJ

Are you joking? Lol.

Aesthetics.
Avoids rubbing on some arches when the car is low.

Last edited:
No.

Sorry if I offended, that wasn't my intention.

Euro-Look it's supposed to look trendy....

Yoof I don't get it (and I'm not 30 yet!)

lol

Kate

I suspected as much. :rolleyes:

Not the age thing. I suspected you were barely into your twenties... :cool:

No offence taken! Thought it was just a funny idea regarding saving money!

I fitted smaller width tyres to my car to prevent rubs :D

Ahh. Well narrower tyres would be cheaper, wouldn't they?

Maybe you should have spent less on some smaller wheels, and had money left over for the right tyres ;):D

PJ (running away)

Slightly stretched tyres give a lesser slip angle so better handling, though the kiddies have taken this to the extreme due to the rims not fitting under the arches.

At least you know when you are parked nice and tightly though..

My winter rears are slightly stretched because it is hard to get 245/40x17 winter tyres, 225/45x17 are the closest match but look slightly stretched on 8.5J rims. They look fine on the fronts as the rims are only 7.5J

Russ

Been looking at the Babes in Max power have you Russ..?? ;)

Just looks ridiculous.

Not the age thing. I suspected you were barely into your twenties... :cool:

Thanks, I think.......

:cool:

I need tyre walls, stops Paul curbing my wheels, I've not managed it myself though he's done it twice!

K

Sretched tyres come mainly from the drift boys, gives them better slip with out the side walls giving way? also looks cool as on mod'ed golfs. Some also are sanding all of the writing off their side walls to give a much smoother look? Cool or not??

Sretched tyres come mainly from the drift boys, gives them better slip with out the side walls giving way? also looks cool as on mod'ed golfs. Some also are sanding all of the writing off their side walls to give a much smoother look? Cool or not??

Not cool.

Don't sidewalls give some, minor, protection against kerbing alloys?

Regards,

KJ

Surely those rim and tyre combo are an mot fail? at work no sidewall marking means mot fail.

Lynall

We had a big long thread about tyre stretching on another forum i use, with input from the law and manufactures, not only can it be considered dangerous due to the rim protuding but as tyres have recomended wheel width fitments and they are usually outside this on a stretched tyre they are considered to be illegal as the type approval no longer applies to them, thats a minimum of 3 points per tyres, plus any extra they want to give you for driving the vehicle in a dangerous condition.

Having said that lots of people get away with it, i reckon it looks stupid and like you couldnt aford the right wheel and tyre combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom