• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Subtle Mods for a W211 E55AMG

north-star

Car
2003 E55 AMG Saloon and a 2002 C32 AMG Estate
Hi there,

Just bought a 2003 E55AMG saloon and i'm looking for the best places to get a few subtle mods done.

Is there a place in the UK or EU that i can get some lowering links from, i've found some from the US but would prefer to buy a bit closer to home.

Also, can you still buy the Johnsons IC Pump and if so is there somewhere in the UK that has them in stock.

I know i'll end up going down the smaller pulley and belt route eventually with the heat exchanger, anyone on here got that all done and how does it feel day to day as a daily with the extra power etc?

I know this will all be covered somewhere but i'm still trying to work my way around the forum after being away for a few years with an Audi :-)

I don't like to recommend this company due to their pricing, but it appears the only place to find a Johnson Charge cooler pump at the moment.

Lowering links, again eBay is the place. You may find cheaper than those below
Never bothered with remapping my E55. It was pretty quick stock.
I do recommend MSL Performance in Birmingham but appreciate most places are a long way from Aberdeen.

Somewhere a bit closer who may be able to do the pulley and remap are Big Fish Tuning near Middlesborough.
John used to write the maps for MSL , maybe still does, and I had a great map for my W212 E63 Biturbo that was very reliable.

Thanks for the info,

I think the two ebay links are not showing for me as you were maybe logged in when you sent them?

I'll have a look on there though, thanks.

Is there a reason you prefer the Johnson to the OE Bosch IC pump.?
The Bosch is quite a bit cheaper.

Yes, I was logged in. Sorry about that.
A quick search should bring up the items you need.

Is the Johnsons not better if you are going for bigger power, i recall being told this when i was doing my pulley etc on my C32 many years ago.

Is the Johnsons not better if you are going for bigger power, i recall being told this when i was doing my pulley etc on my C32 many years ago.
I've not heard that. Replacing a weak Bosch pump with a new one seemed to cure any temperature issues as far as I understand.
I'd ask whoever you go for the remap and pulley change their opinion. It's probably more accurate than mine:D

Ok, i'll just go down the OEM route then or even try changing the number 4 fuse first in the rear compartment, done a few longish pulls and when i go to do another right away there's a deffo loss of power, then after 30 seconds or when i go to a stop at lights or a roundabout the power is back again. A weak pump overheats and then the ECU shuts off the supercharger i believe till the temps come back down?

One more question for now, never noticed it before until i had my windows down in a built up area but...........When i put the foot down i get a ticking noise from the right hand side it seems. Reading up some say it's some purge valve and normal for these engines, doesn't do it at lower revs or normal driving just when i go WOT, is this ok?

One more question for now, never noticed it before until i had my windows down in a built up area but...........When i put the foot down i get a ticking noise from the right hand side it seems. Reading up some say it's some purge valve and normal for these engines, doesn't do it at lower revs or normal driving just when i go WOT, is this ok?
Yes I had that ticking from time to time. Told it was normal and not to worry about it. The M113k engine isn't the quietest I have to say.
Ok, i'll just go down the OEM route then or even try changing the number 4 fuse first in the rear compartment, done a few longish pulls and when i go to do another right away there's a deffo loss of power, then after 30 seconds or when i go to a stop at lights or a roundabout the power is back again. A weak pump overheats and then the ECU shuts off the supercharger i believe till the temps come back down?
Definitely sounds like you'd benefit from a pump change. Classic symptoms of a weak pump not being able to dissipate the heat generated quick enough.

Yes I had that ticking from time to time. Told it was normal and not to worry about it. The M113k engine isn't the quietest I have to say.

Definitely sounds like you'd benefit from a pump change. Classic symptoms of a weak pump not being able to dissipate the heat generated quick enough.
No worries :cool:

I'll use for the rest of my trip onshore, couple of weeks and see if there are any other little jobs that crop up.

I'll then get that done when i'm home next trip and get some top quality tyres on as the last owner hardly used her and put on Nangkangs lol

I have to say though, even though it's early days i bloody love this car already and i'm deffo not leaving Mercedes again :cool:

Go see Acid at MSL worth the trip.

Loads of info on this and other sites, will take a bit of searching, Johnsons pump is cheaply made, stick to the Bosch one part number ending 010.

check some of my past posts, lots of info on there.

good choice of car, enjoy

So it looks like my ticking noise was indeed slightly worse than normal due to a leak on the manifold, that's now transpired into a full on leak now, hahahaha Sounds like a tractor now but Mercedes don't do manifolds for these anymore. Any recommendation for an upgrade with these manifolds?

Exhaust manifold I assume? Has it be proven that its a crack in the manifold rather than just a gasket. If so it can be welded?....Most metal ones can be........with a bit of my help my friend even DIY plastic welded his plastic INLET manifold a while back.....amazing what you can do with a small blow torch, a soldering iron and some cable ties as welding rod....Lego blocks also make good plastic welding rod!!!

BOT. I bet your local machine/welding shop can fix it for you for a few beer tokens.

Exhaust manifold I assume? Has it be proven that its a crack in the manifold rather than just a gasket. If so it can be welded?....Most metal ones can be........with a bit of my help my friend even DIY plastic welded his plastic INLET manifold a while back.....amazing what you can do with a small blow torch, a soldering iron and some cable ties as welding rod....Lego blocks also make good plastic welding rod!!!

BOT. I bet your local machine/welding shop can fix it for you for a few beer tokens.
Ive been told it's a cracked manifold and it cannot be welded.

Would that be by the same people who are trying to sell you a new one by any chance!!?? :)

Would that be by the same people who are trying to sell you a new one by any chance!!?? :)
Oh no, the garage said themselves that they could not get a replacement from Mercedes and that i would need to search online for either second hand or upgrade options.

Oh no, the garage said themselves that they could not get a replacement from Mercedes and that i would need to search online for either second hand or upgrade options.
If you are still looking for E55 exhaust manifolds, I may or may not be able to help. I had a pair of these left over from my own 55 modding days, but have binned quite a few bits, as they were in the way, can check tomorrow evening, and advise either way if still needed. This said I am sure Acid (MSL) must have a good few of these left over.

My W211 manifold also cracked and I got a used one from MSL.
Went to PCS to have it fitted and it became clear I'd been sold a W210 E55 manifold in error.

Well done to Ollie for removing the W210 manifold and getting my one welded and refitted.
Cost a bit in labour for obvious reasons and Acid refunded me for the wrong one.
So, what I'm saying is, they can be welded.
And as Ricky says above, I'm sure Acid has a few W211 manifolds knocking around in his stock room if you are stuck.
Just be sure its a 211 one and the correct side.

My W211 manifold also cracked and I got a used one from MSL.
Went to PCS to have it fitted and it became clear I'd been sold a W210 E55 manifold in error.

Well done to Ollie for removing the W210 manifold and getting my one welded and refitted.
Cost a bit in labour for obvious reasons and Acid refunded me for the wrong one.
So, what I'm saying is, they can be welded.
And as Ricky says above, I'm sure Acid has a few W211 manifolds knocking around in his stock room if you are stuck.
Just be sure its a 211 one and the correct side.
I might just bite the bullet and go down the long tube header route, wasn't going to go that far with mods but seeing as i need to do a repair that end i be as well go all in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom