SUV ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KennyN

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Me - BMW 440i Coupe / Dog -Cayenne
Now that the BM has been modified to my taste i am thinking about getting a SUV for running around as i have never owned one previously.

Not spending stupid money as it will be getting used to do the big shop , taking mutley to the park and the inevitable trips to the shopping centers.

Choices are ML / X5 / SWB Shogun and the curveball choice - RR Vogue ,all diesel and all around 07/08/09 vintage with a maximum budget of £8 - £10k for the right one. Dont mind getting my hands dirty but dont want to be left stranded on a regular basis.

I like to plan ahead so along with a potential house move early next year the SUV may be on the cards.

Thoughts ?

Kenny

Big engined "leggy" diesel engined 4x4's = big repair bills if anything goes wrong engine/ transmission/ suspension wise -----which it will. Due to the ravages of time the one owner, meticulously main dealer maintained regardless of cost, 100,000 miles without a problem examples become an endangered species. They are out there its finding one that's the problem :(

Hi Kenny, here's my list of possibilities to fulfill the rôle :

Dacia Duster 4 x 4 diesel Pros : nearly new, go anywhere and cheap to run, low mileage modern mechanics - Cons: Car snobs won't like the badge

Forget the RR and go for a Discovery 3 or 4 Pros : Proper County-set vehicle, go anywhere, more reliable than RR, - Cons : big and relatively heavy for round town.
Ditto the ML/X5/Shogun

Honestly once you have tried the Duster and taking into account what you want one for, it's got to be the Duster. You will be amazed.

Choices are ML / X5 / SWB Shogun and the curveball choice - RR Vogue ,all diesel and all around 07/08/09 vintage with a maximum budget of £8 - £10k for the right one. Dont mind getting my hands dirty but dont want to be left stranded on a regular basis.

Hi Kenny,

All are great cars.

For advice regarding the ML speak to @Bobby Dazzler or @Abb I believe both have owned various different ones.

@brucemillar has an X5 and loves it, worth a PM?

Also many say Range Rovers are very unreliable etc, however the angriest people shout the loudest :p. I know of many who own RRs with little or no problems. Speak to @m2287

Being able to work on them yourself is a big plus, as most parts can get bought cheap from the likes of GSF, and worst comes worst more expensive parts can be bought used on eBay etc.

Good luck with your search,

Best wishes,
Abs

Hi Kenny, here's my list of possibilities to fulfill the rôle :

Dacia Duster 4 x 4 diesel Pros : nearly new, go anywhere and cheap to run, low mileage modern mechanics - Cons: Car snobs won't like the badge

Forget the RR and go for a Discovery 3 or 4 Pros : Proper County-set vehicle, go anywhere, more reliable than RR, - Cons : big and relatively heavy for round town.
Ditto the ML/X5/Shogun

Honestly once you have tried the Duster and taking into account what you want one for, it's got to be the Duster. You will be amazed.

He wants something to go shopping in and take doggo to the park, not cross deserts ;)

I’ve got a Duster out in Skiathos and it’s a fab car. It was left in the car park for 5 months a while ago and started first time!! I’d like to see a RR do that.

X3?

Pros - Cheaper to buy. A bit smaller, so will fit into parking spaces easier.

Lexus RX400h? SUV body and hence space, FWD most of the time, extra motor on the rear when needed. Comfortable, reliable, low tax and 30mpg+.

I’m not sure what your budget will buy, but based upon your brief then I would be looking a petrol SUVs - especially if you’re after a full-size SUV. It doesn’t sound like you’ll be doing too many miles, so the fuel consumption benefit could easily be offset by a big engine related bill or two.

There aren’t really any bad full-size European SUVs, but on balance the ML has been the best choice for us. I like MLs and have had a few, with at least one from each generation. Every time we buy another we consider a Cayenne, and that has comes a close second every time.

Our family all drive SUVs as our main cars, we look a bit like the Mafia when we arrive at a restaurant together because they’re all black. My father-in-law is a repeat Range Rover buyer and my brother-in-law is a repeat Audi Q7 buyer, so once you find an SUV recipe which works for you then they’re hard to beat.

Perhaps a petrol engined V6 Cayenne or Touareg could fit the bill?

Range Rover - we have had our 2004 vogue for two years and 16k miles.. it generally gets abused with the kids in it and all kinds of things in the boot (it makes a great tip run car with the seats folded down).

It averages 25mpg (3.0 bmw Diesel engine) and is a bit over £300 a year to tax. We have had no major issues, had a battery drain which turned out to be the climate control, the rear window wiper doesn’t work, there is a small bit of rust starting to come through on one arch and the front heated seats have recently started to play up. Overall I’d say it was a good buy although I don’t particulary like driving it myself!

If you're going to the Land Rover dealer check out the Freelander 2. The facelift MY13 onwards is a good all round car and is considered to be more reliable than other LR models and any earlier haldex issues have been sorted. They hold their value well but some are just about coming into your price range, like this one (just as an example):

2013 63 LAND ROVER FREELANDER 2.2 SD4 GS 5D AUTO 190 BHP DIESEL | eBay

I've had our Freelander 2 as our run-about for past 3.5 years and it's been faultless. I like the high seating position, the build is very robust and the inside of the later models is a nice place to be. In the UK the SD4 is the engine of choice.

I'd second that. I bought the wife a 3 year old one owner from new Freelander 2 SD4 HSE that we have had for 4 years now. Been brilliant and can't fault it. Well spec’d inside, comfortable, safe, practical and hardy. No nonsense good value tough car.

We have been considering changing it for a newer Discovery Sport but it is hard to not keep it as it does all it needs with little grief or hassle. I am sure ours is worth about 10k ish so is just in your budget.

Kenny

My wife owns a 4.8is BMW X5 e53 model.

776e163833610a21232b0ad5846bc895.jpg

We also have a SWB Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 V6.

89cd2b9d4ca55686483664857cff9e85.jpg

Have owned several P38 Range Rovers.

These are all very subjective cars drawing extreme views. It’s just the nature of the beast.

My wife’s X5 is a hoot. But not great off road (mainly due to on road tyres)

The Pajero is just great fun in almost any conditions. But they are fiddly beasts when they break.

Range Rovers. I could write books on the ones I had. They are simply superb until they go wrong!! Complex diagnosis can lead to huge garage bills.

No idea about the Duster?? Some of my neighbours have Skoda Yeti’s (sic) and love them.

My advice. Get the best you can afford to lose. Get a Towbar to protect it on tip runs.

Before buying check out the 4WD systems and trans box etc. These can bring a world of bankruptcy and pain.

But as I say. It is subjective.

My Pajero cost less than a grand some years ago but has eaten more than this in maintenance.

Give me a shout anytime. But I’m not sure that I won’t just confuse you further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bet that Pajero is a hoot!

Had an ML at one time - 270cdi - which i put in for a tow bar fitting. They lent me a vehicle similar to yours, not sure of the exact spec but it was a short wheel base, diesel, and it went like sh1t off a shovel.............

This is a Mercedes forum - only a G-Wagen will do!

Lexus RX400h? SUV body and hence space, FWD most of the time, extra motor on the rear when needed. Comfortable, reliable, low tax and 30mpg+.

I had an RX300 that got me out of a muddy field where the Shogun next to me had to be dragged out. Yes, I know it's just down to tyres, but it made me feel smug.

And I've had a Jeep Renegade for the past three years. A real fun vehicle to drive with the 1.4 turbo and manual. Nothing has gone wrong other that the infotainment reverting to Italiano a couple of times - fixed by a software update applied via USB. And the prices are in your ball park too.

@brucemillar - the X5 and Pajero look fantastic!

My dad is selling his “low tax” 2005 facelift RR 4.4 V8 soon if it’s of any interest -

(Those chrome wing mirror covers have been swapped for colour coded ones btw)

Don't forget the Volvo xc 60/90 range. Great cars and the 90 will carry almost anything. My xc60 has been trouble free for all its life - the 3 years sinceI had it new.

Subaru Forrester? Subaru Outback? 4x4s, tough.
Mitsubishi Outlander?
Nissan Patrol? ....(they joke in Oz, if you want to go into the outback get a Landrover.......if you want to come back too, get a Patrol)

Subaru Forrester? Subaru Outback? 4x4s, tough.
Mitsubishi Outlander?
Nissan Patrol? ....(they joke in Oz, if you want to go into the outback get a Landrover.......if you want to come back too, get a Patrol)
A friend from South Africa who's father was a game warden used to say exactly the same about Land Rovers vs Nissan Patrols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom