Synthetic ATF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickcc101

Car
2001 S203 C180 auto estate (sold)
Hope i'm asking this in the right place. I have just bought 7 litres of ATF oil from Mercedes parts supplier the part number is A001 989 21 03 10, would be grateful if someone confirmed this is Synthetic ATF as no indication of this on the Mercedes labelled bottle. Thanks

Who knows if it is synthetic?

If its for your 2001 C-class its the right stuff.

Update.
Changed oil and filter, box now feels great. Smooth changes and no longer loss of drive. Oil had done 85k so must agree that sealed for life must be load of rubbish.

Just how much of the oil can you actually change?
I thought you could only actually bleed off about 3 litres from under the car, so you can never really replace all of the oil, only about 50 per cent (or less).

I need to get the ATF & filter changed in my 99 W202 C200 as it has not been done and the car is now up to 118k. How much should I expect to pay for this at a Mercedes independant (my local main dealer told me not to bother as the box is 'sealed for life'...)?

Just how much of the oil can you actually change?
I thought you could only actually bleed off about 3 litres from under the car, so you can never really replace all of the oil, only about 50 per cent (or less).

About 4 litres. If you drop the sump slowly the oil will drain until it reaches the top of the sump then lower the sump down and empty the rest of the oil out. Unscrew the cooler pipe banjo bolt on the side of the torque convertor, draining as much as you can, start the engine and about 1/2 litre will be pumped out. The total new fill is just over 6 litres so by replacing two thirds is the best you will get.

Last edited:
I need to get the ATF & filter changed in my 99 W202 C200 as it has not been done and the car is now up to 118k. How much should I expect to pay for this at a Mercedes independant (my local main dealer told me not to bother as the box is 'sealed for life'...)?

Cost of oil (4 litres) gearbox filter and sump gasket was about £60 from Mercedes Oxford web site. Took me about 45 mins total so would be about 1 hr labour £50 ? (mercedes). Perhaps another member has paid merc for this job so will know better than i do.Dont forget if you DIY you will need a gearbox oil dipstick if your car does not have one.

You can get all of the oil out.

I will do a "how to" soon.

One of the first things I did with the SL60 was to get the ATF changed. Made a big difference. My guess is that it had never been done before. Sealed for life Sir......:crazy:

You can get all of the oil out.

I will do a "how to" soon.
Look forward to your post. I just followed how my local Mercedes (exeter) explained how they changed the oil. As my 7226 box torque convertor does not have a drain plug they said this was the only way to get the oil out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom