The Malt - What is your favourite?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BonzoDog

Car
280 cdi Break S211 Avantgarde, B200 CDI, W245, Autotronic
Somebody suggested recently something to the effect that sitting back and drinking a Malt put the whole world in perspective. Might I endorse that.
As it is morning one of those will be quite a few hours away.
Mine is possibly Dalwhinnie because it is soft and smooth. I find the peaty ones a little tóo sharp.
It is considered heresy but I have mine with ice and I love the clinky sound.
A few days ago I bought a bottle of Black Label, once considered the premium whisky but now out classed by the Malts. I bought it because I fancied a taste-off and it was a good excuse to get the two excellent glasses on promo.
Possibly the best I have ever had was from a friend of mine who one evening opened a couple of 50 year old bottles. Cannot remember the names but can remember the taste.
Suntory time.

I'm afraid whisky is not my tipple at all, can't stand the stuff - unless it's in the guise of Baileys :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dont have it often but it has to be Laphroaig for me, smooth as silk:rock:
30yr_bottle.jpg

Not a big whisky fan but I do quite like Glenmorangie that has been finished in different wood casks.
Haven't tried them all yet.

Lucky me, I'll be visiting a distillery over the next few days, do a few samples i think.

Tastes in Malt Whisky are very personal, just like taste in cars. For me the best single malt of them all is "The Macallan". Went round the distillery some ten years ago and was allowed to sniff a barrel of 1948, heaven.

It was on that tour that I learnt that even single malts are blends. A 10 year old Macallan includes various vintages of Macallan, sometimes up to 30 years old and distillations matured in various wood casks (sherry, both pale and cream, and bourbon) so as to ensure absolute consistency in both look and taste. The head taster is known as "The Nose". Boy, wouldn't I like his job.:D

The Islay malts are the ones for me.
Laphroig and Lagavulin.
If they are too robust try Bowmore, its a bit more "palate-friendly".....

My favourite single malt has to be "The Glenlivet"
http://www.theglenlivet.com/

Spent a couple of days:eek: a few years ago going on the distillery tour.
(I had to go round the tour more than once;), nothing to do with the samples at the end:rolleyes: :cool: ).

Luckily I wasn't driving so could really enjoy the hospitality. :D

I normally buy supermarket own brands, but when I really want to splash the cash, the brand I cannot resist is Sarson's.

Sorry, I could not resist!

:bannana:

I normally buy supermarket own brands, but when I really want to splash the cash, the brand I cannot resist is Sarson's.

Sorry, I could not resist!

:bannana:

On the rocks?

difficult question

Likes inc highland park , rosebank , macallan but if forced to pick one would probably be talisker :

Talisker-10yo.jpg

esox certainly has the right taste in whisky - and I've also recommended the Bowmore as as
'starter' whisky.
My favourite? definitely laphroaig, bur for something with even more character, although less complex, I'll have a Talisker.
A single Islay malt in a crystal glass, and the embers of a wood fire when the family have gone to bed. One of the things that makes life special.

Last edited:
ps just poured a glass of Talisker distillers edition 1990.
heaven.
No log fire though it's too warm/

slainthe mhor! (sp?)

Last edited:
Although not a smoker, perhaps 2 or 3 times a year, a nice glass with a Cohibas watching the sun go down is quite something.

It was on that tour that I learnt that even single malts are blends.....

Well sort of. A true single malt is a single cask whisky unblended. Not sure how easy they are to find, but this mob supply a good selection. I first joined in 86 and have had a few decent bottles over the years. Island whiskys? If I want peat I'll drink TCP!! Each to their own.

http://www.smws.co.uk/index.php

Well sort of. A true single malt is a single cask whisky unblended. Not sure how easy they are to find, but this mob supply a good selection. I first joined in 86 and have had a few decent bottles over the years. Island whiskys? If I want peat I'll drink TCP!! Each to their own.

http://www.smws.co.uk/index.php

Can't really stand the island malts either. I like the Highland and Speyside malts.

When you want something to chew - like baccy - try Jura :devil:
I'm a Highland Park man myself but Compass Box produce a wonderful innovative range. I have finished my Double Single and am now on to the Asyla.

Along with the Innis & Gunn beer I mentioned a few weeks ago, these drinks almost cross over to fortified wines such as Manzanilla sherry or Sercial Madeira.

You won't be disappointed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom