• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Thoughts On This? - Cheap W204 Estate

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
A mate of mine is tempted by this:

As its only up the road, it has semi moon mileage and its a bit rough around the edges. Its a very early W204 with the larger Wingmirror lenses.

Ignoring AMG badge and DIY Tints, boot floor up due to accessing the battery no doubt. Its been sat for a while judging by the front brake disc. - Is that the engine light on, or just the ignition on?

Avoid and get a late W203 Estate instead?

Last edited:
It looks a lot of car for the money imho. Classic good looks & not obviously battered.

However there are a few CI's that would have me wanting to make some very careful inspections before I even considered buying.

A mate of mine is tempted by this:

As its only up the road, it has semi moon mileage and its a bit rough around the edges. Its a very early W204 with the larger Wingmirror lenses.

Ignoring AMG badge and DIY Tints, boot floor up due to accessing the battery no doubt. Its been sat for a while judging by the front brake disc. - Is that the engine light on, or just the ignition on?

Avoid and get a late W203 Estate instead?
Engine's running according to the rev-counter - that's the engine check light (as well as handbrake on and low fuel warning) Been sat for a while by the looks of the moss in the front grille.

Other than the fact the interior looks like it's been used as a builder's skip, it looks pretty straight but obviously the rear subframe will need a good check.

Advert suggests "12 Month's MOT available". Not sure how they'll manage that with the CEL on?

It has COMAND NTG4, and the larger (genuine) 17" wheels and HIDs, suggesting a higher-spec 'Sport' variant - possibly 'AMG Line'? In short, it was nicely specced when new.

Obviously, it needs to be scanned for fault codes... the EML could be nothing or it could be ££££.

And your mate should budget for a new air vent... to replace the one damaged by the mobile phone holder.

He'll be a long time looking for the battery under the boot floor.
It sits in the engine compartment.
Rog I can see what looks like a battery in the pic?

Rog I can see what looks like a battery in the pic?
You could be right (and I'm wrong...again:doh:)
I assumed it was the same as my S204 which has the battery in the engine bay.

Off to give myself a good thrashing now.

You could be right (and I'm wrong...again:doh:)
I assumed it was the same as my S204 which has the battery in the engine bay.

Off to give myself a good thrashing now.

If your S204 is a C180 then it is not a Diesel.... The Diesels had different layout regarding the location of the batteries.

My early S204 (08 registered) C220 with NTG4 Comand has the battery on the drivers side in the boot under the boot floor! Know it well, have had to access it many times over our so far 12 1/2 years of ownership! Handy thing is that first, I have a Lidl battery condition monitor connected permanently and visible through the tailgate, second if it ever goes red I can run an extension lead into the boot to connect a charger - and close the boot over the lead! and third, with ignition key in position 1, press Answer call, end call and OK simultaneously, wait a few seconds, menu appears, press OK and you're monitoring battery voltage and amps before engine start, then battery voltage/alternator performance after engine start! Wish I could do the same on my SLK!! As a comfortable distance cruiser with surprising get up and go (admittedly with black smoke if you really boot it!) but 45+mpg in normal use. Major problem has been paint lacquer failure over the years - had the bonnet done twice, roof twice (second time FOC as happened soon after repaint), tailgate spoiler, and currently NS rear door and a bit either side should be done - but on a car worth a few K is it worth it as it would cost best part of 1K to stop bitching from SWMBO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom