• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Thread locker or not?

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Hi All,

For the front caliper bracket on E250 do you need thread locker on reassembly or ok to just torque to spec?

Thanks

Hi All,

For the front caliper bracket on E250 do you need thread locker on reassembly or ok to just torque to spec?

Thanks
I regard thread locker as belt and braces. For something like brake parts it’s good to have, but shouldn’t be essential.

I always put a bit on caliper mounting bolts before torqueing to spec.

K

The torque spec is plenty high enough that thread lock isn't needed.

I've changed pads on some other cars when new bolts with thread locker pre- applied are provided with the new pads. If they are not then I think you can assume it's not needed. In a lifetime of maintaining cars I've never had a mounting bolt come loose, quite the opposite. When I replaced the front discs on mine recently the bolts were quite a challenge to loosen.

A lot of new OEM supplied braking component bolts come with threadlocker already applied , or a small packet of the stuff to be used on re-assembly.

So FWIW it will do no harm to apply some if using the existing bolts.

K

The torque spec is plenty high enough that thread lock isn't needed.

I've changed pads on some other cars when new bolts with thread locker pre- applied are provided with the new pads. If they are not then I think you can assume it's not needed. In a lifetime of maintaining cars I've never had a mounting bolt come loose, quite the opposite. When I replaced the front discs on mine recently the bolts were quite a challenge to loosen.
Yes that's the only concern I have will I be able to undo the the bolts as I don't have a lift so will be doing it with axle stands and a trolley jack

Blue Loctite is designed for any bolts Etc it is used on to be cracked with hand tools. Red stuff requires heat before it lets go.

Personally I wont put it on any thread that did not have it from the factory or come preloaded on the bolts.....if it needed it the factory would have used it. It also can affect the accuracy of the torque reading when tightening the bolts as it acts a lube when wet. The Loctite people recommend reducing applied torque by 20 percent from dry values when using their liquid thread-locking compounds on threaded fasteners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom