Timing chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mckillop

Car
S500
Hi I have S500 May 2006 (154000 miles) with a diagnostic showing a Timing Chain Issue..This is a costly repair .Please someone advise if worth fixing ? Also the Radio does not work (no sound) Where can I purchase a similar unit ? Could I sell this car and how much should I ask ?

Hi I have S500 May 2006 (154000 miles) with a diagnostic showing a Timing Chain Issue..This is a costly repair .Please someone advise if worth fixing ? Also the Radio does not work (no sound) Where can I purchase a similar unit ? Could I sell this car and how much should I ask ?
It may appear to some that you are perhaps less of an enthusiast than a bewildered car dealer .You made a statement that the timing chain is a costly repair , then ask the question of whether it is worth fixing? You know how much you paid for the car ,plenty of places can quote you a replacement cost , and you must then balance the total cost against potential resale value. If the radio doesn`t work at least you will hear when the timing chain goes!

Unfortunately at 2006 your V8 M 273 engine falls into the faulty timing gear era
https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=681441
Cost of repair varies according to what has to be replaced- often not just the chain! figures of the order £2-3k have been quoted but can be a lot less than this. While spending this money on an engine with plenty miles left in it could be justified you would have to think very carefully about spending such sums on any engine with a 150,000 miles + on the clock??

Well the car is worth about £4000,but with the timing chain problem around £2000,maybe less because it is less desirable.I know it is crazy but that is how it is,shame but when these cars have big mileage the last thing you need is a big repair bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom