• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

TMC Tuning Box

parm

Hi and a very merry Christmas

I’m thinking of adding a tuning box to my car just to retain the warranty right now as there’s 2 years left.

The TMC tuning box appears to give significant gains in BHP and torque as below. I’ve been out of the tuning world for sometime but does anyone has any experience on the adoption of this box or a suggestion for a better box, bearing in mind I can’t do a fu map just yet 🫡

PS​

ORIGINAL
TUNED

NM​

ORIGINAL
TUNED

Personally I would stay away from tuning boxes as most of them just confuse the ECU. And if anything was to happen the data logs would show the car running more boost than standard. I say wait till your warranty is up and get a proper remap

Personally I would stay away from tuning boxes as most of them just confuse the ECU. And if anything was to happen the data logs would show the car running more boost than standard. I say wait till your warranty is up and get a proper remap
Agreed - MB and other manufactures aren’t fooled by a removing a tuning box just as reflashing a car to stock is easily checked.

No doubt they’d be checking carefully if you had a £10k or more warranty claim on the engine.

FairPlay I was only planning on keeping it for 2 years while I get a build slit for a new g63 (deposit paid). I’ll leave it alone 🤜🏽

FairPlay I was only planning on keeping it for 2 years while I get a build slit for a new g63 (deposit paid). I’ll leave it alone 🤜🏽
What car you have C63S ?

Just map it it will be fine (says the guy that’s too scared to map his 😂)

These engines are seriously under tuned from factory

Most tuning boxes are completely untraceable when removed...I've used few over the years...never had an issue. So far as them just fooling the ECU...what do you think a map does?

Most tuning boxes are completely untraceable when removed...I've used few over the years...never had an issue. So far as them just fooling the ECU...what do you think a map does?
I have a similar experience with tuning boxes 🤜🏽

So for example the stock map let’s say runs the stock turbos at 22psi of boost by controlling the wastegate

Tuning boxes makes the car think it’s running less boost (let’s say 30% for example) so needs more boost to reach the ecu boost levels of 22psi (28.6psi). This way the air/fuel ratio is all messed up

An actual remap changes the ecu desired boost level and the amount of fuel the engine needs

I've had both.....different means to the same end. And if you just get a generic map downloaded to your car (rather than a proper bespoke one on a rolling road) you still get much the same power as generic maps have to stay on the side of safety as they won't know your particular engine. Tuning boxes that mess up the fueling are old tech....and even then the cars ECU sorts it out via the o2 sensors.

There is no right or wrong....I have used boxes and mappers in the past....boxes are very convenient, give a good power boost (especially on diesels) and can be removed without trace. Proper rolling road re maps are the best way to go of you have a mapper with a rolling road in a convenient location to set up the map to get the very best from your particular car...all engines are slightly different. But I'd use a box over one of those blokes who comes to your house and uploads a commercially available map to your car via his laptop anytime. Most of them don't have a clue (and don't want to know when it throws a code) and you would be better off with a box from a known company...so not a sixty quid box off eBay!
Others will have a different view based on different experiences, which is fine...I'm not going to argue.

There is no right or wrong....I have used boxes and mappers in the past....boxes are very convenient, give a good power boost (especially on diesels) and can be removed without trace. Proper rolling road re maps are the best way to go of you have a mapper with a rolling road in a convenient location to set up the map to get the very best from your particular car...all engines are slightly different. But I'd use a box over one of those blokes who comes to your house and uploads a commercially available map to your car via his laptop anytime. Most of them don't have a clue (and don't want to know when it throws a code) and you would be better off with a box from a known company...so not a sixty quid box off eBay!
Others will have a different view based on different experiences, which is fine...I'm not going to argue.

Whatever your used to I suppose. Tuning box or remap I do like a dyno run to see the actual difference. No good gaining 80bhp for a tiny window (I.e 3000-3500rpm) then dropping off worse than stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom