To Keep or to Sell the SL?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tattmaylor

Car
A207 E220d
Hi all.
Current situation:
My everyday car is a Fiesta ST, which I'm rapidly getting too old and tired of driving (it really is the most uncomfortable ride in the world), so I am going to shortly sell on, and the SL320 is my weekend/Summer drive.
I don't really have a need (or the space) for two cars, but I don't particularly want to use the SL as a daily driver - I'm currently around 93k miles so would like to keep it below 100k for resale value. My thought is to replace both with a W208 CLK320 Convertible - much cheaper overall to buy, and in view of that, it doesn't matter so much if I stray above the 100k mile mark. I have found one online which has been very well maintained, no rust, no MOT advisories, and the right colour/wheel combination.

I'd love to know everyone's thoughts on this - what would you do?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7360.JPG
    IMG_7360.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 44
I've had 3 SL's 2x r230s and an r231, 350-63amg.
I had another car as my daily, varied from s class, range rover, panda, volvo etc.

Chopped the 63 and RR in to be sensible and got my C class cabrio.

My c class is a cracking car that everyone admires.....apart from me.....I miss my 'flash' fun cars.

Probably get rid of the C class fairly quickly and get another normal car and another weekend warrior, If finances allow

AMGeed - you say that it's a lousy time, but I watched an SL sell yesterday by auction, and did pretty good considering the original documentation had been 'misplaced.' I think I would probably sell via an auction also (as it's how I bought the car in the first place), but I do need to get the front wing sorted first, so likely that it would be spring/summer before it goes anyway, if I did decide to sell.

I was after an R129 just like yours 3-4 years ago when I bought my W209 CLK. The CLK has been fantastic but every time I see an R129 I wish I had held out for a nice one to turn up! I just love the shape of them.

Plus you might end up spending a fair bit getting the CLK into the shape you want and find you really aren’t that far ahead. I bet the R129 will keep slowly appreciating, a CLK won’t.

I have the same quandary with my 129. I think of selling it each autumn. I have had this thought for the last six years, and will no doubt have the same thought for the next six. I just like the car.

Just my view and happy dilemmas to you.
We had a W208, 320 cab, AMG body kit in quartz, lovely car but not an R129.

If you're worried about resale mileage then you've probably missed the boat I'm afraid - there's enough examples with far less on the clock to sway the "low miler" market sufficiently. For the rest, condition and provenance will play a significant part.

Personally, unless space really is a problem, I'd keep the SL (looks lovely by the way) and change the Fiesta for something more comfortable and less hard riding as the daily. Focus, Peugeot 308 etc are all comfy but still reasonably fun litttle cars for everyday plodding around :)

Hi all.
Current situation:
My everyday car is a Fiesta ST, which I'm rapidly getting too old and tired of driving (it really is the most uncomfortable ride in the world), so I am going to shortly sell on, and the SL320 is my weekend/Summer drive.
I don't really have a need (or the space) for two cars, but I don't particularly want to use the SL as a daily driver - I'm currently around 93k miles so would like to keep it below 100k for resale value. My thought is to replace both with a W208 CLK320 Convertible - much cheaper overall to buy, and in view of that, it doesn't matter so much if I stray above the 100k mile mark. I have found one online which has been very well maintained, no rust, no MOT advisories, and the right colour/wheel combination.

I'd love to know everyone's thoughts on this - what would you do?

Thanks
Apart from hoping to protect resale value, what’s putting you off using the SL as your only car?

Will a typical buyer of a 129-generation SL really be put off by a car with just over 100k miles and biting at the bit when they are a car with just u see 100k miles? I think the typical buyer is smarter than that, and they’ll be looking for history and condition.

The SL is capable of high mileages when properly maintained and the market knows this. My gut feel is that changing cars will end up costing as much over the next few years as it will to change cars - especially with the additional risk of the unknown.

The SL was designed and engineered to rack up huge mileages, at a time when many consider Mercedes were at their peak of brilliance, so use the car as intended, get it dirty, and go places in it - even if it’s only to the supermarket - it deserves to be used!

I’d keep the SL too - once you have an older car that’s in good shape and you can trust it, I think that’s worth a lot. Swapping it for another older car could bring a host of hidden problems that cost time and money to fix. If I were you I’d get a more comfortable cheap daily driver and keep enjoying the SL.

I’m in a similar position with my E500; it’s rare and (currently) quite in demand but I’m already heading through the 80k’s so it’ll never be one of those perfect garage queen used cars that sells for big money. In another 5 years it will have done well past 100k miles and might only be worth £5k but I’ll have loved getting lots of use out of it for minimal depreciation compared to new.

Ok decision made, the SL is staying, the Fiesta is going. As long as the SL remains reliable and I don't have to commute to work for the foreseeable, I don't see why I shouldn't enjoy driving for another year at least.
On the reliability point....anyone know where to locate the amp (non-BOSE)? The radio/cassette has decided it no longer wants to produce any sound and Im pretty sure it would be an Amp issue. (Radio powers on, changes channels etc, aerial powers up, just no sound...not even a background hiss)
From what I've read, and what I've been told its under the rear seat, but all I can see is the roof control unit on the drivers side, with just carpet on the passenger side??

Glad you’ve chosen to keep the SL. As for the sound, I think only cars with Bose had an amp under the rear seat. Possibly the head unit itself but not an expert on this.

A friend of mine has an R129 and the radio packed up, I fitted a " Continental " unit similar to the below, he did not want a new fangled unit and is not technically minded so this unit fitted the bill and looks more retro than most new units, there was not a separate Amp in his car.

A friend of mine has an R129 and the radio packed up, I fitted a " Continental " unit similar to the below, he did not want a new fangled unit and is not technically minded so this unit fitted the bill and looks more retro than most new units, there was not a separate Amp in his car.

Continental also do a DAB version of these units, would DAB work with the R129's aerial? Also did you manage to get this headunit to play nicely with the aerial, i.e. extend and retract as needed?

Continental also do a DAB version of these units, would DAB work with the R129's aerial? Also did you manage to get this headunit to play nicely with the aerial, i.e. extend and retract as needed?
The unit I fitted was not DAB, he did want to connect his phone for hands free so I put the microphone in for that , I also paired the phone and he could access the music on his phone as well. It connected to the existing ariel with no issues, there was a dedicated wire on the back to power up the ariel . The Continental range was quite extensive and offered lots of options, there were no particular issues, I did use a dedicated connector unit from Halfords I think, and that made life a bit easier.

The unit I fitted was not DAB, he did want to connect his phone for hands free so I put the microphone in for that , I also paired the phone and he could access the music on his phone as well. It connected to the existing ariel with no issues, there was a dedicated wire on the back to power up the ariel . The Continental range was quite extensive and offered lots of options, there were no particular issues, I did use a dedicated connector unit from Halfords I think, and that made life a bit easier.
I had read that these head units were plug and play, no connector unit needed? What year was his R129?

I had read that these head units were plug and play, no connector unit needed? What year was his R129?
1998, SL500, I am pretty sure I used the connector, but could have been mistaken as It was a couple of years ago and I did fit three head units for friends at the time.

Just coming back to this thread as my Becker radio/cassette has completely given up now. It still powers on but no sound is coming through at all and I'm fed up with it. I'm looking at a Continental TR7412UB-OR as it's pretty similar in look to the Becker units but has Bluetooth etc. and a couple of you have mentioned Continental in the comments above
Are these pretty easy to install and do they need any additional adaptors? I don't really want to go back to a garage if i can avoid it.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom