Tow bar programming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
CSteve220
I have had coded all 3 of my MB cars using dedicated electrics as I tow a caravan, often in the EU. I did that simply as I did not error messages whilst driving, and retain all the features that the car's software would provide. However if you are just towing a mall trailer (to the tip and back) then possibly you may not want to spend the extra cash.
The towbar people can now code for around £80, whilst the dealer charges double that.

Whatever system you install - check your lights after installation and before setting off (on holiday). FYI I had a Volvo towbar fitted by the dealer and the trailer stop lights would not work after installation!

Yes
No, just potential benefits of enabling the trailer option when fitted.

Immaterial as the OP has not been back. :)
I have been back, and I’ve enjoyed reading the posts.
My C220 shows errors and already seems to know when a trailer is attached. One of my trailers had a short I the wiring which came up on the display as a fault. I’m in the middle of changing the whole loom, I took the old one off today and made a copy so next dry weekend day it will be fitted. The next service is a big one so I might add it on to that.
Regarding Insurance, no one can prove the tow bar was not fitted when I bought the car, so the argument is immaterial.

Regarding Insurance, no one can prove the tow bar was not fitted when I bought the car, so the argument is immaterial.
As the towbar is a modification it SHOULD be mentioned to the insurance company. But fear not, a towbar is a "no loading" modification with no additional premium. At least mine was with Tesco Bank.

ps. They never asked if the electrics had been coded!! 😁 Why on earth would they be interested?

No, just potential benefits of enabling the trailer option when fitted.

Immaterial as the OP has not been back. :)
Do you code the electrics yourself? Is it through Star or would a decent Snap On type plug in system have the capability? I have a Viano which has had a towbar fitted from new ( 2011 ), all these years later i've just recently hooked up a trailer and the electrics don't work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom