Trying to figure out my audio setup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noy91

Car
CL55 AMG Kompressor ('55)
Had a quiet afternoon yesterday so reorganised all the old car receipts with a view to figuring out exactly what the previous owner had had done audio wise.

Presuming a standard W215 Bose setup as the starting point, I have receipts for the following:

19th April 2012 from the boys at Comand:

Rockford Fosgate 10" Free Air subwoofer x1 @ £210
Morel 4" coax speaker x1 @ £63.54
Morel 6.5" component speaker system x1 @ £122.43
Dynamat 10415 extreme speaker kit x2 @ £13.60
Dynamat 10425 Extreme 4 sq ft sheet x1 @ £25.52
Labour charge to fit above x1 @ £160

26th April 2012 from John Kleis Car Stereo:

JL XD Mono Amp x1 @ £283.33
MP4BL Sound Mtr x1 @ £12.43
JL HDRLC Bass Control x1 @ £21.28
Simon Lab Audio x1 @ £350
JL XD 2CH Class D Amp @ £199.99
Fit to own Audio Control LC6I
S/F Amp to run own subwoofer (JL X600/1)
S/F 4CH JL to run already installed speakers (JL XD400/4)

Now, what I do know is that the subwoofer in the CL is the JL part listed above rather than the Rockford Fosgate, which makes me wonder if the first receipt was included by accident and actually relates to a different car, as he also had a SL500, a CLK350 petrol and two E320 CDIs. Alternative he could have just not liked it and had it replaced?

So presuming the car has the contents of the second receipt fitted, am I correct in the following:

The mono amp works with the subwoofer?
The 2 channel amp works with the door speakers?
The 4 channel amp works with the remaining speakers?

Sorry if this seems obvious but I know nothing about audio and am just trying to get my head round what's in there and what it does.

Last edited:
I doubt very highly he'd have 'not liked' a Rockford sub, so I'd imagine that's in a different car, as you suggested :)

As for which speakers are plugged into which amp, the only way to tell would be to trace the wires, or find them and turn one off, to see what's still working. I would say your guesswork is not far off, the mono will almost definitely be for the sub, but I suspect the main speakers will be powered through the 4 channel (1 speaker per channel) and that any tweeters/secondary speakers, are likely to be powered by the 2 channel. That however, is an informed guess and nothing more, because there are many different ways to wire it all up.

Thank you! Think I will take it in to Comand to be investigated as there's some very odd balance issues going on with certain inputs playing voice only through tweeters and others leaving certain speakers silent. Seems a shame to have what I presume is decent kit in there only for it to sound so off.

Had a quiet afternoon yesterday so reorganised all the old car receipts with a view to figuring out exactly what the previous owner had had done audio wise.

Presuming a standard W215 Bose setup as the starting point, I have receipts for the following:

19th April 2012 from the boys at Comand:

Rockford Fosgate 10" Free Air subwoofer x1 @ £210
Morel 4" coax speaker x1 @ £63.54
Morel 6.5" component speaker system x1 @ £122.43
Dynamat 10415 extreme speaker kit x2 @ £13.60
Dynamat 10425 Extreme 4 sq ft sheet x1 @ £25.52
Labour charge to fit above x1 @ £160

26th April 2012 from John Kleis Car Stereo:

JL XD Mono Amp x1 @ £283.33
MP4BL Sound Mtr x1 @ £12.43
JL HDRLC Bass Control x1 @ £21.28
Simon Lab Audio x1 @ £350
JL XD 2CH Class D Amp @ £199.99
Fit to own Audio Control LC6I
S/F Amp to run own subwoofer (JL X600/1)
S/F 4CH JL to run already installed speakers (JL XD400/4)

Now, what I do know is that the subwoofer in the CL is the JL part listed above rather than the Rockford Fosgate, which makes me wonder if the first receipt was included by accident and actually relates to a different car, as he also had a SL500, a CLK350 petrol and two E320 CDIs. Alternative he could have just not liked it and had it replaced?

So presuming the car has the contents of the second receipt fitted, am I correct in the following:

The mono amp works with the subwoofer?
The 2 channel amp works with the door speakers?
The 4 channel amp works with the remaining speakers?

Sorry if this seems obvious but I know nothing about audio and am just trying to get my head round what's in there and what it does.

I have found our copy of the invoice referred to. I cannot though give you details of the customer due to confidentiality. The prices you have shown are pre-VAT. Also the labour was heavily discounted in this instance.

The parts were fitted to the CL. The customer was initially delighted with it all but then a few days later decided he was not happy with the RF sub. We offered to address it (for free) but he chose to spend a significant sum having everything else we put in, amplified.

More than happy to look at it all for you.

I have found our copy of the invoice referred to. I cannot though give you details of the customer due to confidentiality. The prices you have shown are pre-VAT. Also the labour was heavily discounted in this instance.

The parts were fitted to the CL. The customer was initially delighted with it all but then a few days later decided he was not happy with the RF sub. We offered to address it (for free) but he chose to spend a significant sum having everything else we put in, amplified.

More than happy to look at it all for you.

Much appreciated. Will give you a call later today.

Sounds like the car really should have an epic system and that the previous owner maybe had some odd taste in balancing the sound properly (Some people really do refer their music to sound flat, or out of balance). Good luck with it :)

Quite possibly. He was 70+ I'd say, so perhaps how we perceive sound changes with age, but this really is so off I'm leaning towards something more fundamental. Will update Thursday evening.

Would do a before and after recording but I think any subtlety would be crushed by the camera.

Yeah, the camera won't pick up the balancing in the car either, if he's got all sorts of weird levels set on different amps and sound weighted towards the rear, or the front or whatever, the mic won't pic that up so well, at least not in a video. There are apps you can put on your mobile phone for the purpose of balancing your audio though I believe.

Quite possibly. He was 70+ I'd say, so perhaps how we perceive sound changes with age, but this really is so off I'm leaning towards something more fundamental. Will update Thursday evening.

Would do a before and after recording but I think any subtlety would be crushed by the camera.

That is remarkably perceptive of you. ;)

He was very much into loud Organ music.

He was very much into loud Organ music.

The six discs he left in the changer made for a... unusual... drive home. Am not actually adverse to classical and romantic music, especially late at night, but this was like the soundtrack to a cheap Gothic horror flick.

Organ music is the most challenging possible to deliver via hifi playback, particularly in a car. Amplification at very low frequency is not the answer in most cases as it is amplifying the resonances of the car rather than the music.

I have tried and failed, a car is much better suited to Opera and the human voice which range doesn't get sonically lost.

Last edited:
Had the work done today - has really transformed the sound system and in turn enhanced the driving experience.

The amps had been turned right up when they were first installed which wasn't helping, and they'd also had a lot of clutter placed on top of them. I was also suffering the common CL issue with the door loom, which contributed to the dodgy balance. Anyway, the door loom was repaired and the audio system tuned; much more linear sound making it more understandable at low volumes, less needless bass in the lower frequencies and a much sharper top end. Had the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac greatest hits on the way home and picked up so much fine detail I'd never heard before, so probably the best £175 I've spent on the car so far.

Comand were as good as their reputation would suggest, which I value especially in this case as unlike the mechanical goings on I don't feel I can approach audio and electrical topics from any sort knowledgeable standpoint. Thanks guys :thumb:

Really glad to hear this, sounds like you're really happy with the audio now and for £175, that's a pretty good price for sorting out the audio. Congratulations :)

Had the work done today - has really transformed the sound system and in turn enhanced the driving experience.

The amps had been turned right up when they were first installed which wasn't helping, and they'd also had a lot of clutter placed on top of them. I was also suffering the common CL issue with the door loom, which contributed to the dodgy balance. Anyway, the door loom was repaired and the audio system tuned; much more linear sound making it more understandable at low volumes, less needless bass in the lower frequencies and a much sharper top end. Had the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac greatest hits on the way home and picked up so much fine detail I'd never heard before, so probably the best £175 I've spent on the car so far.

Comand were as good as their reputation would suggest, which I value especially in this case as unlike the mechanical goings on I don't feel I can approach audio and electrical topics from any sort knowledgeable standpoint. Thanks guys :thumb:

It was good to meet you. Glad you are happy with it all. As you say it has transformed the car.

The Sub in the car is actually still the Rockford Fosgate one we put in originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom