• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Two days in the new C63 S

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
Evening people, just posted this on PH, though you chaps might like a read too.....

Returned from a couple of weeks holiday on Thursday and went into Merc to pick up my next loan car (my dealer agreed to keep me in a car until my GT arrives since they took my SLS off me back in November) - my usual A45 loaner was out on test drive so I suggested they let me loose in their C63 S demo for the weekend ;) To my surprise, they took it out o the showroom and sent me on my way - I've just returned it to them so here are my thoughts and some pictures.

I'll start by saying that it's very nearly tempted me to save a lump of money and change my GT order for a C63 (which surprisingly the dealer would be fine with so I guess they can easily sell my GT slot). Of course, I'm not going to do that because much like the SLS, it will undoubtedly feel more special, more of an event but honestly, the new C63 is so good that I can't see how the GT will be objectively £50k better.

I'll start with my least favourite aspects:

And, err.....ahem.....there are none.

Honestly, I just can't fault this car in two days driving of driving it. It has a very similar character to the old C63 but everything is improved, refined, tighter - it's a hugely more developed car. If I was being really harsh, I'd say the driving position with the performance seats isn't as good as with the standard seats - I like to sit really low and, sitting in a C63 with standard seats in the showroom then immediately getting into the demo with performance seats, they feel a bit higher. After about, ooooh, 10 seconds maybe, you get used to it.

Anyway, having owned a new M3 for about 2 minutes last year before I realised it wasn't for me, I'm amazed just how right AMG seem to have made their new car in comparison (all IMO of course....but based on solid ownership experience). So onto the things it's really good at and how I believe it compares to it's Bavarian rival:

1. Performance
This car is outrageously fast, there is almost no lag (you may feel a touch in comfort or sport mode when just pulling off, totally eradicated in sport+ or race) and it pulls at all revs nice and cleanly to the limiter, acceleration growing with revs in a very N/A-like way.

This engine in the 150kg+ lighter GT will be phenomenal, as proven by some recent 1/4 mile times (11.2s and 127mph!).

This S version is notably quicker than the M3 and whilst both share a very satisfying power delivery, the Merc feels less boosted than the BMW (which is probably is).

2. Noise
Absolutely nothing to worry about here for the 6.2 owners - the sound is outstanding. I'd even say I prefer is slightly to how the 6.2 sounded. It has this lovely guttural V8 rumble sound at low revs, changing nicely to a resonant warble through the mid range that you can actually feel (much like you can feel bass from a good sound system). The pops and bangs on the overrun are more obvious without appearing at all contrived than in the 6.2 too.

And my demo car didn't even have the performance exhaust - I suspect that would sound outrageously rude :)

In comparison to the M3 we had, it's no surprise that this is the first area where the C63 really has it licked. The AMG makes a mockery of BMW's attempts to make their car sound aggressive, which are so far off the mark that I was questioned on more than one occasion what was wrong with it.

3. Chassis
Absolutely spot on for a road car. The ride is beautifully firm, solid and nuggety - it just feels really good. Despite the firmness, it's so well controlled that it never feels uncomfortable and vertical movements on bumpy undulating roads are very well contained. There's virtually no body roll unless you're really pushing on and I cannot see anywhere dynamically where the C63 is inferior to the M3, at least during real-world driving. Even the most die hard C63 fans probably wouldn't say that of the previous-gen models.

In terms of torsional rigidity, I'd say this is one area where the new C63 has improved the most over the old model - there are few cars I've driven other than the SLS and 911 which feel more solid and structurally stiff over bumps. Even the latest M3 will occasionally send a slight shimmer up the steering column if driven purposefully over a harsh mid corner bump - no such traits seem to exist in the C63.

The C63 remains a marvellously easy car to slide about, even for an average driver like me, but it now appears to have decent traction and the eliciting diff makes that back end very progressive and controllable :)

4. Steering
This is one of my most favourite aspects of the car and is the second area that really sets it apart from the M3. Compared to the BMW's artificial and overly heavy rim, the AMG's is well weighted, linear and very direct, main the car feel agile and responsive.

It also has what must be one of the worlds nicest steering wheels - small, chunky, nice thickness and with some interesting ridges to rest your hands on.

5. Interior
It's typical new C-class and then some. This means it's far and away the nicest interior in it's class, despite the iPad screen (which looks just fine when sat behind it). The nappa leather dash looks rich, it's solid with no rattles or creaks and the switches have a lovely engineered action (is Merc now back at it's best??). Then theres the seats - this one had the optional AMG performance seats and are probably the best ones I've sat in since the last C63!

The trim on this example was highlighted with lovely white alcantara (unusual) and at night, the mood lighting is very well done, all the more enhanced by the fact the lighting highlights the white bits. It just all feels very special.

To be fair, the new M3 also has outstanding seats and a perfect driving position but the interior is more 1-series than S-class, and the BMW's interior rattled from the moment I drove it out of the showroom.

Oh, the Burmester audio system is awesome - MB's idea to place their subs in the firewall ahead of your feet is inspired because it facilities a nice deep sound without causing any vibrations whatsoever.

So, when you consider all the touchpoints and sensations you get driving a car, it's clear why the sound, the lovely steering and a very special interior makes this such a satisfying product. As far as I could tell, it seems to combine all these attributes without any of the previous models' deficiencies. They're also exactly the qualities which highlight the new M3's shortcomings and whilst I have no doubt that the BMW will be able to pull some tricks out the bag on a track and in the right hands, as a road car for a normal driver I don't think theres any contest.

Finally, we all know what one looks like and this is maybe one area where the BMW holds an advantage if you're not into the subtle approach. Regardless, here's a few pictures.....now, if you're on the fence about this car then just get out there and drive one! You'll love it.

P1050266_zpszzyzkdgc.jpg

P1050275_zps4wzm0csd.jpg

P1050270_zpsgejmtefn.jpg

P1050277_zpsckxvsmei.jpg

P1050281_zps8t2eicdr.jpg

P1050288_zpshjpplage.jpg

P1050291_zpsbcz1zjen.jpg

P1050295_zpsz2wznmxm.jpg

P1050296_zpsqmubgo2o.jpg

P1050299_zpso1ponyh6.jpg

1509307_10206276498888461_2777075273394920313_n_zpsx7sgpc95.jpg

11200878_10206276499648480_8512153354970533418_n_zpsb2lysbxz.jpg

11150639_10206276499448475_8281053181496859576_n_zpsqnran9eq.jpg

Superb write up mate. Really enjoyed reading that. It's nice to know someone's opinion who has driven/owned the 2 four door saloons that every petrol head would like to have on their drive.

That looks like the car from Merc Derby. If it is, I had it for a loan two weekends ago. Like you, I think the car is absolutely sensational. I am trying to manufacture a deal with them right now for the build slot that will get me a car by 1st September on the new plate.

Superb write up mate. Really enjoyed reading that. It's nice to know someone's opinion who has driven/owned the 2 four door saloons that every petrol head would like to have on their drive.

That looks like the car from Merc Derby. If it is, I had it for a loan two weekends ago. Like you, I think the car is absolutely sensational. I am trying to manufacture a deal with them right now for the build slot that will get me a car by 1st September on the new plate.

Yes Derby.....I very nearly snapped up that Sept slot :D If you pick it up 1st Sept you'll probably be picking it up the same day I get my GT.

I see you've had an e92 M3 before, as have I (and rated highly enough to have two of them). But you just cannot believe just how much better this C63 is to the new M3, which is one of the most disappointing cars I've ever owned.

All of the new M cars (M6GC apart at 40k off) are very disappointing.

Great write up, really enjoyed reading that too.

Yup fully agree with the above, I've got the F10 M5 and Biturbo E63 and I love driving the E63 and hate the M5. The M5 just gives no confidence at all and your left guessing when the powers coming and how the cars going to react.

Totally opposite of the E63 which is perfect IMO, the only thing that let's the E63 down is the user interface it's soo old compared to BMW also the seats and fit and finish in the M5 are much better I feel.

It is a great car..

Was blown away by the test drive I had!!

Trying to sort a deal out as I can get a the car by June.

Another great write up with pics :thumb:

When my E350 Coupe goes in for next service will ask for one as a courtesy car !! , :D

Hopefully this will keep quiet all those whining on about the tiny V8 and AMG have lost their soul :D

Hopefully this will keep quiet all those whining on about the tiny V8 and AMG have lost their soul :D

For me, the RS6 and Bentley fitment showed the potential a while ago.

I expect the W213 E Class will go the same way too.

Progress marches on :thumb:

(but I'm glad I had a 6.2 and a 5.5 before they're resigned to history).

For me, the RS6 and Bentley fitment showed the potential a while ago.

I expect the W213 E Class will go the same way too.

Progress marches on :thumb:

(but I'm glad I had a 6.2 and a 5.5 before they're resigned to history).

110% agree. Having had the same questions about how good a 4.0T was, when I brought the RS6 about 6 months ago I was shocked.

Kept the 5.5 though :bannana:

I had a " Normal " new one out today and it was SUPERB I will be ordering a "s" very soon, its without doubt the best car I have ever driven, AMAZING !

The back end is all wrong, the lights don't look right at all. Bloody nice car though.

interior is an improvement but i find the exterior a bit bland looking
just picked up my 14 plate c63 and love it ..i see the interior as the improvement but exterior not sporty enough

Is there any noticeable improvement with fuel economy?

The back end is all wrong, the lights don't look right at all. Bloody nice car though.

Agree with this, love the look of it and all of the new C-Class apart from the back end.

Personal thing but i think its something to do with the 'off-vertical' rear. Makes it look like it has a bit of a droopy backside?!?

You cannot beat a car with a proper engine note though!!

Personally I prefer the estate.

But I always do, just makes the whole package better and the fact the dog can enjoy the boost as well.

Agree with this, love the look of it and all of the new C-Class apart from the back end.

Personal thing but i think its something to do with the 'off-vertical' rear. Makes it look like it has a bit of a droopy backside?!?

But I always felt the W204 had a droopy bottom too. The estate had a much squarer rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom