Tyron Safety Bands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tyron bands used to popular a few years fitted to caravan wheels, their purpose being that they kept the tyre seated against the inner walls off the rim if the tyre suddenly deflated. They were fitted to a couple of caravans I had but I (thankfully) never had cause to test their effectiveness.

Tyron bands used to popular a few years fitted to caravan wheels, their purpose being that they kept the tyre seated against the inner walls off the rim if the tyre suddenly deflated. They were fitted to a couple of caravans I had but I (thankfully) never had cause to test their effectiveness.

Will you be fitting them to your CLK?

I have Tyrons on my caravan - they were a factory option. They make a lot of sense when you have one and a half tonnes running on just two tyres - a blowout at motorway speeds is usually pretty catastrophic.

I don't personally think they're justified on normal cars where (a) the load on each tyre is a lot less and (b) you still have three in contact with the road if one does let go!

I have Tyrons on my caravan - they were a factory option. They make a lot of sense when you have one and a half tonnes running on just two tyres - a blowout at motorway speeds is usually pretty catastrophic.

I don't personally think they're justified on normal cars where (a) the load on each tyre is a lot less and (b) you still have three in contact with the road if one does let go!

Surely maintained roads and maintained tyres/ suspension = no blow outs....

Touch wood I've never had a blowout in 35 years driving, but you never know. Biggest cause is under-inflated tyres (this results in overheating at high speed). With the caravan I check the pressures every single time it goes out (and throw the tyres away after 6 years).

Touch wood I've never had a blowout in 35 years driving, but you never know. Biggest cause is under-inflated tyres (this results in overheating at high speed). With the caravan I check the pressures every single time it goes out (and throw the tyres away after 6 years).

Cheers for the good advice, this throwing away of tyres....does it apply to your everyday vehicles?

You don't need them on car wheels as the wheel holds the tyre bead in place, whereas caravan wheels don't.

Why not fit car/van wheels onto the caravan or trailer then ?

I appreciate the need for such a device on a device that does not feedback information to the driver, such as a caravan or a trailer, but I am not that convinced that they are nothing but a marketing ploy based on customer fear.

It would be much cheaper to buy a decent tyre gauge and foot pump.

You don't need them on car wheels as the wheel holds the tyre bead in place, whereas caravan wheels don't.

Are you sure about that? I thought all caravan wheels had bead humps nowadays.

this throwing away of tyres....does it apply to your everyday vehicles?

In theory, yes. But the vast majority of car tyres wear out long before they'd need replacing based on age. Whereas the tread on caravan tyres hardly wears at all.

I have Tyrons on the caravan despite having rims that have the internal raised bead. I've just replaced both tyres after five years and Merc Edinburgh came up with a better price than Camskills for the Conti 8ply commercial van tyres. :bannana:

Tyrons might well be overkill but they give me confidence and that can only be a good thing.

If you remember this pic from last year this is one of the tyres that came off. Slovakian rubbish. :eek:

tyre1.jpg

Depending upon the size I would have the caravan wheels are a top contender for run flats!

I suspect run-flats aren't available in suitable sizes (typically 13-14") and/or load ratings?

As Druk said Tyron bands just give a bit of extra confidence, particularly at motorway speeds (obviously not over 60 though ;) :)).

I suspect run-flats aren't available in suitable sizes (typically 13-14") and/or load ratings?

As Druk said Tyron bands just give a bit of extra confidence, particularly at motorway speeds (obviously not over 60 though ;) :)).

Probably not, but as I said Caravan wheels are the perfect use of run flats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom