Undecided on what to do with my C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sold to webuyanycar.com.....

Feeling a sense of relief to be honest.....here is to the new chapter :)

Phew, dodged the bullet with this one! You're better off with a rental, really. In case something else breaks or a mysterious noise begins or worse? At least it's someone else's problem then ;-)

I've had 2 530d's estates quite capable cars as an all-rounder i agree the AMG is a complete animal i only drive mine every now and then.i wish you look in your next car try a jag I've got the xfs 3.0d had it 3 year's use it every day love it 😀
The most money I’ve ever lost on a car was our 530d m Sport Xdrive😢

I had a 330d a few years ago and I remember at the time when I sold it my thoughts were it was probably the best all rounder id ever had. Quick, great on fuel, frugal and looked great. I sold that to buy an M135i which again was an excellent car then sold that for the C63....we know what happened there sadly. To be honest the 4 Series looks really fresh still, especially the facelift. In the real world 0-60 of 5.3 seconds isnt exactly slow, loads of toys, comfortable and modern and a great 3 litre diesel....im happy ;-)

Well looks like I dodged a bullet. I was a member of the C63 Owners Club on Facebook. I had someone on there that was interested in buying my C63 but due to the car not feeling quite right I declined his offer save him having any issues. However, the car went to the British Car Auctions and he told me he was going to bid on it online, it came up that the EML was on and it had injector problems and something about the pressure being low. The EML was never on in my ownership so not sure quite what happened to bring that on, maybe the guy that took it from webuyancar.com to the auction hammered it and the 40 miles hard driving didnt do it any good.....anyways apparrently a company in Essex bought it for £17600.......

If it was the injectors maybe this was what made it feel jerky and like it was misfiring when warm....

Regarding the gearbox lumpyness, I've read quite a few posts about low speed/low rev changes not being smooth - it appears to just be a trait of the gearbox.

What I have found (and again corroborated through research) is that the MCT gearbox (assuming as yours is a 2012 that you have this not the 7G) is extremely sensitive to the oil level. My gearbox was reasonably ok after Mercedes Ascot changed the ATF, then the following year it went in for a service at Mercedes Beaconsfield who also changed the ATF (absolutely no idea why) and it's since been a little lumpy. My guess is that they haven't quite got the fluid level right - I'll just take it to an indy at some point to get done again.

My car is not lumpy and if it went in for a service and came back lumpy it would go straight back. I definitely wouldn't be sayimg ill sort it next time when I take it to an indy?🤫

I just think it’s a pretty rubbish gearbox to be honest. I know the ZF 8 speed box in the bmw is newer but you can’t half notice the difference

My E63 is on a 59 plate and the MCT box feels amazing for my liking. Works wonderfully well in all gear box option settings. Just pottering around C mode is perfect. Wanting a more sporty or responsive type gear shift then S S+ or Manual modes are only at the turn of a dial.

I've had some less technical basic BMW boxes that drove me around the bend. Piece's of .hit is an under statement.

The MCT is a clever piece of kit and works wonderfully in my opinion.

I just think it’s a pretty rubbish gearbox to be honest. I know the ZF 8 speed box in the bmw is newer but you can’t half notice the difference
I disagree. Gearboxes in performance cars can feel pretty 'rough', but thats usually because of the additional beefed up components that have had to be installed to make them more robust. My 205 saloon, when cold in particular is quite 'abrupt' when changing at low speed, does it bother me? Nope, I see it as a quirk of the car. But when you wind it out its smooth and quick through all the gears. Likewise, my old E46 M3 (Manual) was horrendous at low speed, very notchy and with a unnaturally long throw on the stick for a car of its ilk.

More relevant to this discussion though, was that it had what was described to me as 'driveline shunt', so if you had the clutch in when you drove over a drain cover, you would hear (and feel) a massive clunk from the drivetrain or feel a noticeable 'shunt' when engaging the lower gears at low speed - all perfectly normal as I came to learn. All because the gearbox and driveline had to have certain tolerances built in to cope with 343hp.

Not saying your car didn't have its issues but it isn't fair to compare the box from a mass produced everyday diesel to a previous generation box mated to a car with nearly twice the power.

I disagree. Gearboxes in performance cars can feel pretty 'rough', but thats usually because of the additional beefed up components that have had to be installed to make them more robust. My 205 saloon, when cold in particular is quite 'abrupt' when changing at low speed, does it bother me? Nope, I see it as a quirk of the car. But when you wind it out its smooth and quick through all the gears. Likewise, my old E46 M3 (Manual) was horrendous at low speed, very notchy and with a unnaturally long throw on the stick for a car of its ilk.

More relevant to this discussion though, was that it had what was described to me as 'driveline shunt', so if you had the clutch in when you drove over a drain cover, you would hear (and feel) a massive clunk from the drivetrain or feel a noticeable 'shunt' when engaging the lower gears at low speed - all perfectly normal as I came to learn. All because the gearbox and driveline had to have certain tolerances built in to cope with 343hp.

Not saying your car didn't have its issues but it isn't fair to compare the box from a mass produced everyday diesel to a previous generation box mated to a car with nearly twice the power.
This. The Type R I had, had a much better gear shift than the E46 M3 I had. However, when pressing on the M3 came into its own. I didn't have the long throw issue as I had replaced it with a gearknob from a 545d.

This. The Type R I had, had a much better gear shift than the E46 M3 I had. However, when pressing on the M3 came into its own. I didn't have the long throw issue as I had replaced it with a gearknob from a 545d.
Years ago I test drove an Integra R (didn't buy it unfortunately) but that had possibly the best manual gear shift i've ever used.

You need to try the S2000 gearbox then as it makes the Integra feel floppy and imprecise by comparison.

ZF 8 speed box isn't all that, I've just seen 1 fail at 2k miles split the diff 😳
11k coffee table 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom