Unlock button on key fob no longer working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DubMerc

SUPPORTER
Car
C 350e
Hi all,

Have an s205 with two key fobs. Since I got the car in later 2020, the unlock button in the main key fob has required more pressure than the other 2 buttons and in comparison to the unlock button in the spare key. Yesterday it stopped working completely. Can lock and open the tailgate with the key fob but not unlock the car. Spare key working fine so not a fuse issue and also swapped the batteries and same thing so not a battery issue. It appears that the connection in that button is worn out.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Is it worth trying to get fixed or is it best to just get a new key?

Well I would get it repaired,there are lots of places that will do it ,buying a new key will be a lot more expensive.

Thanks Zipdip, good to read that it is something that potentially can be repaired. Would you have any idea how much it should cost?

Alot less than £150 to £300 for a new key.

Alot of places online repair mb keys.

Well a new key from Mercedes is around £250 a new key from one of the companies in say Dublin who will make a new key will be about £150-£175,a repair which can be done by post or I suppose you could drop it in will be around £60 now thats the sort of prices you can get it done in the UK,but given the price of a pint of lager in Dublin do not hold me to that price guide.

Well a new key from Mercedes is around £250 a new key from one of the companies in say Dublin who will make a new key will be about £150-£175,a repair which can be done by post or I suppose you could drop it in will be around £60 now thats the sort of prices you can get it done in the UK,but given the price of a pint of lager in Dublin do not hold me to that price guide.
😂 The rough price guide is appreciated with that caveat! Will investigate repair costs. By post would be a good option at the moment with lockdown still ongoing.

I bought my C63 in August last year and it only came with one key. So I paid for an independent company to come over to me and make a second key. £250.

It took them about 90 minutes. They had a computer and other instruments hooked up to the car. Got the new key and the buttons are nice and sensitive.

I bought my C63 in August last year and it only came with one key. So I paid for an independent company to come over to me and make a second key. £250.

It took them about 90 minutes. They had a computer and other instruments hooked up to the car. Got the new key and the buttons are nice and sensitive.

£150 here in winterfell . Took about 40 minutes. New keys work through double glazed windows from 30 yards.

Had the same thing on a W204 a few years back. Got the key apart & sprayed the switch with electrical contact cleaner, was still working when I sold the car a year later.

Just a thought, IF you are sending by post to get it fixed don't give your address to send bach to, send it back to a friend so no one has a copy for your car and knows where it is, you can never be tooooo careful or paranoid.

Hi all,

Have an s205 with two key fobs. Since I got the car in later 2020, the unlock button in the main key fob has required more pressure than the other 2 buttons and in comparison to the unlock button in the spare key. Yesterday it stopped working completely. Can lock and open the tailgate with the key fob but not unlock the car. Spare key working fine so not a fuse issue and also swapped the batteries and same thing so not a battery issue. It appears that the connection in that button is worn out.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Is it worth trying to get fixed or is it best to just get a new key?
Probably the micro switch on the PCB in the key fob has come off the PCB. Easy repair. If you shake the key fob you may hear the switch rattling inside the fob. It is very small so listen carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom