Useful features discovered by accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The way the 722.503 trans will change down to 4th all by itself under braking when dropping through 68 km/h, and it gives a little engine braking. It won't do it if you are just coasting down the speed range, only under braking. LOVE that!!

Last edited:
Battery under drivers mat in wife's old A Class and the jack position on her B class.

ooh and the double boot hidden shelf in the boot you can adjust to be deeper

It took me few weeks to discover that when pressing the brake pedal when stopped it holds the car instead of using the foot operated parking brake. Great for pulling away on an incline, its also really clever how the engine switches off when stopped and starts as soon as throttle is pressed, this was wierd when I first got it as I was worried on a hill but its great. Not sure about all these gagets when it gets to about 10 years old though!

It took me few weeks to discover that when pressing the brake pedal when stopped it holds the car instead of using the foot operated parking brake. Great for pulling away on an incline, its also really clever how the engine switches off when stopped and starts as soon as throttle is pressed, this was wierd when I first got it as I was worried on a hill but its great. Not sure about all these gagets when it gets to about 10 years old though!
If these features came as a surprise to you then you need to know that the HOLD function for the brakes only works when the ignition is on. Don't be fooled like a friend of mine when he first got his manual W204 and thought it worked like a parking brake - he got out and walked off without noticing his car easing out of its space!

Also don't get worried when the stop/start doesn't work every time. If the battery's been taking a bit of a bashing and is running low (such as when doing short winter trips) the stop/start function is automatically switched off to save the battery.

...in the hall table drawer, 50 miles away...:p

The wallet key.

Grease it, wrap in cellophane and galv. wire it under your car somewhere; or just leave it in your wallet.

My CLS came without the 6CD player that would normally be fitted under the Comand unit. (As fitted to my previous E Class).
I was not bothered about the lack of the CD changer because I was able to connect my iPod using the connector in the glove box.

Weeks later, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the electric powered cover still operated by the chrome button, opens to reveal a useful sunglasses cubby behind. This function is deleted on later models, so owners lose this excellent little storage space.

effbee584 said:
My CLS came without the 6CD player that would normally be fitted under the Comand unit. (As fitted to my previous E Class).
I was not bothered about the lack of the CD changer because I was able to connect my iPod using the connector in the glove box.

Weeks later, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the electric powered cover still operated by the chrome button, opens to reveal a useful sunglasses cubby behind. This function is deleted on later models, so owners lose this excellent little storage space.

Same here- very James Bond stylie having that cubby with a little motorised door, love it.

If you open it will self close within a couple of mins- cool feature.

Don't use the CD player in mine, who does nowadays, so am tempted to lose it for the storage.

b1g1an said:
Don't use the CD player in mine, who does nowadays, so am tempted to lose it for the storage.

Useful thing about this and the main DVD drive is it can play mp3 discs. I just have one disc with 7gb of music in the main slot, arranged into folders which saves messing with iPod etc. only discovered this a few months into ownership.

Otherwise agree- regular CDs are history.

After checking all the bulbs in the rear interior lights of my S124 a few weeks ago,much head scratching,but no joy in(en) lightening the rear end of the car,yesterday by accident I found the switch that selects between off/on/door activated for the rear interior lights,,,,,doh!

After checking all the bulbs in the rear interior lights of my S124 a few weeks ago,much head scratching,but no joy in(en) lightening the rear end of the car,yesterday by accident I found the switch that selects between off/on/door activated for the rear interior lights,,,,,doh!

Brilliant feature for checking out sleeping kids in the back, number of times I've nearly dislocated a shoulder trying to reach the switch in other cars.

Useful thing about this and the main DVD drive is it can play mp3 discs. I just have one disc with 7gb of music in the main slot, arranged into folders which saves messing with iPod etc. only discovered this a few months into ownership.

Otherwise agree- regular CDs are history.

With you there and initially thought it would be useful, but as you say we can use a doovde in the headunit and front storage in the CLS isn't what it might be so any extra is always appreciated. Which reminds me, must rip that stupid phone bunk bed malarky out :wallbash:

Last night when I decided to get another puncture, called MB Assist from the car had a really smart feature that sends your location from the sat nav so you can be rescued.

If you do remove the 6CD player, I guess there will just be a hole, stuff could just slip down into the lower dash area, so you would need the enclosed 'box' that MB fit instead. It was a £350 option in 2007, so should sell on eBay.

Double Post

Last edited:
If you do remove the 6CD player, I guess there will just be a hole, stuff could just slip down into the lower dash area, so you would need the enclosed 'box' that MB fit instead. It was a £350 option in 2007, so should sell on eBay.

Yep, already checked on that, all of £12.74!

Very impressed how cheap a lot of uncommon MB parts are, seems to be the frequently needed bits that carry the big price tags...not stupid are they.

Same here- very James Bond stylie having that cubby with a little motorised door, love it.

If you open it will self close within a couple of mins- cool feature.

I had forgotten about that, along with centre armrest cover that opens from both sides - great engineering inside the original CLS!

I discovered on my S211 at the weekend that, when I have moved my sun visor to the side, there is another sun visor behind the original.

Nice touch!

No you don't, you just need a coupler, A0005454484, which is all of £1.85 from your MB dealer. That loop is for quick testing so you don't need to separate the fibre cables from the plug.

Did mine at the weekend and all working perfectly, £16.62 all in including VAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom