V220 cdi wont start after headgasket replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Airpowered

Car
V220 cdi
Hi all,
1st post after lurking for a while and pinching loads of useful info.
Just recently completed changing the head gasket on a v220 (don`t ask if i`d do it again), every thing went kinda ok, injector bolts sheared, heater plugs sheared (they needed doing and it seemed a good time), chain tensioner refused to budge at all...
Any way got it all apart and gasket replaced, new bolts in all the recommended places, new o-rings on all the fuel lines, cams refitted engine rotated by hand to ensure no issues there.
3 new injectors fitted and one refitted with new seals all round.
fitted a hand priming pump (mistake it leaked air) and removed again.
Now the fun part...
engine turns over and fuel drawn from tank, until no bubbles visible in any fuel lines (not starting), tried a squirt of easy start after charging battery for the nth time, still not firing or starting...
any ideas what i`ve missed and what should i be checking next

I`ve a bluetooth odbII which shows no errors using "Torque" or "odb dr for mercedes"

On a couple of the attempts made, cylinder 2 or 3 or 4 start chuffing (mist exhausted from inlet) but not at the same time (or in sequence should i say)?

I`ve double checked the cam timing with the crank at OT and the exhaust cam is 1mm off the mark (chain stretch?).

Open to any suggestions :wallbash:

Did you put the fuel pipes to the pump the right way round?

which fuel pump, ,,,forget that worth checking both once i`ve some spare time, work getting in the way again...

From what you said about the chuffing from the cylinders I'd check the valve timing first , sounds like it's not timed up correctly !..... Just a suggestion , hope you get it sorted mate !

Mark

Just re-read you're post & seen that you've double checked the valve timing so can rule that out , valve clearances next perhaps ??

Cheers

Mark

thanks for the suggestions, going to re check pipes and seals once shifts are over

ah ha!

Finally, all sorted,
in order of events,
gasket changed...won`t start
new fuel pipe seals all round...won`t start
egr cleaner in inlet to clear crap around valve seat (causing bad seal)..runs on easy start
new injector fitted cyl 4..tries to run on after easy start but fails
egr cleaner again..no change
refit oil pipe to turbo DOH!!!
check leak off pipes... 2+3 excessive flow
fit 2 spare injectors...starts with easy start but diesel knock above idle
fit 4th and final 2nd hand injector...Starts 1st time
test run..radiator pressurising badly
all apart again to tighten head bolts again
test run..radiator still pressurising
all apart again..checked ebay torque wrench setting at a friendly garage 10ft/lb under
retightend head bolts again
started and Radiator working lovely
Injector leaking..tightened
injector seal passing..retighten bolt

Running and so far so good, thanks for all your assistance :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom