V5c [ log book] previous owners details removed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Athough this came into force almost a year ago the effects are only now beginning to percolate thro to the second hand market. :eek: Prior to this the information on all of the previous keepers of the vehicle would be detailed on the V5c but if the car has changed hands since May last year necessitating a new V5C to be issued-- now it won't. :(
Updated: Removal of previous keeper information from V5 ‘could lead to fraud’
https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co...la-set-change-rights-previous-owners-details/

It wasn't the DVLA's decision as such, GDPR rules have made the changes inevitable.

It's not really new, I'm sure that it's been discussed here already.

How many people ever contacted a previous owner listed on the V5 anyway?

The comment about mileage is void now that it is publicly view-able as part of the MOT online system. Plus organisations like HPi have access to main dealer systems to validate mileage.

I don't recall that you ever had details of all previous keepers on the V5C; it was, surely, just details of the last on?. I never had occasion to ask the DVLA for a full list, but I can see why owners of classic cars might be upset by the change.

That said, if a car has a sheaf of invoices, or has had cherished number plates, it is surprising what a little detective work can uncover. For example, my SLK has had seven previous owners, and of the last four I know the name of one, and the names and addresses of the other three; the SL has had six, and I have full details of the last two, from 2007 onwards.

I don't recall that you ever had details of all previous keepers on the V5C; it was, surely, just details of the last on?. I never had occasion to ask the DVLA for a full list, but I can see why owners of classic cars might be upset by the change.

If you are as old as I am, I can remember original log books had the names and addresses of all previous owners. I recently changed my car and had all the service history in a folder and that was not taken from me as it contained my name and address on the invoices. I was told it was for data protection reasons.

I recently changed my car and had all the service history in a folder and that was not taken from me as it contained my name and address on the invoices. I was told it was for data protection reasons.

I guess if selling privately the new owner will take the folder and it helps sell the car. If you trade in with a garage they are probably obliged to follow GDPR guidelines. Shame for the next owner though.

Either could take it. If it is the seller that all the documents contain the details of they can seek permission directly. Otherwise they could redact the personal identifiable data from the documents.

But that is a pain and previous history in paper form is becoming less valuable. Service history for many brands is now online. Home mechanics are becoming fewer and cars more reliable.

I have seen trade seller produce a photocopy of the V5C with the owner details redacted.

You may get to see the original unredacted V5C when you actually buy the car though.

Theres actually a new logbook out now too - I just got it through the post with this Hilux I bought.

Theres actually a new logbook out now too - I just got it through the post with this Hilux I bought.

Any other differences mate?

I'm going to stick my folder under the boot liner when I trade in as I'd like the new owner to get all the details. It's still got life in it if a few jobs are done.

How many people ever contacted a previous owner listed on the V5 anyway?

The comment about mileage is void now that it is publicly view-able as part of the MOT online system. Plus organisations like HPi have access to main dealer systems to validate mileage.

I make it a point to contact the previous owner on a prospective purchase. This has on occasions proved very usefull as they have nothing to loose informing me of any problems.
On one occasion i asked about who owned the car previous to them. The car was listed as having three previous owners and was only 2 years old with a very low milage.
The car belonged to his Mrs, she died leaving the car to her son. Re-registered in his name. Son wanted something a little sportier so his father became the third owner of a two year old car. I was the forth owner of a car under 3 years old.
The name and address of the former owner is very usefull.

Ooh, that “Official use only. Do not write in this space” is a major temptation :D

So it doesn't have previous keeper on?

I'm going to stick my folder under the boot liner when I trade in as I'd like the new owner to get all the details. It's still got life in it if a few jobs are done.

On a slightly different note my one before last E Class had done 312k miles in just under 5 years from new when I was sent back to Mercedes with a full Mercedes history. Mercedes told me it was an ideal clocking car, it was still in good condition overall.

I left a detailed hand written note in the compartment under the radio/stereo which was not that obvious to find, detailing the mileage when I sent it back and the service history and Mercedes dealer in the hope that the new owner found it.

Not sure if they ever did but it was MOT'd again a couple weeks after it left me with 8 months still to run on the old MOT, and the mileage was showing as 79422. It was never MOT'd again so probably sent abroad to some unsuspecting Pole or Romanian.

I have printed a copy of my excel spreadsheet that shows everything that has been done to the car, this is inside the service book and doesn't have any of my details on it so hopefully they won't throw that away. I even have on it when I think in the future things like coolant/atf etc need changing.

Service history is only half the story. In a used car over a certain age I would want to see records of things like cambelt, bushes, brakes, shocks - stuff that wears out and needs changing but isn't part of a regular service.

From a recently previous life, it was brought to my attention that V5's and other 'similar' documentation (MoT's for instance) - all go towards Identity theft, in the wrong hands. The 'scammer' may already have some info on you from the advert, your e-mail address, your telephone number, etc.
In this instance, where cars are advertised for sale, access to your V5 could contribute to 'cloning' crime. Examples being your number plate on another (similar) car, used for a crime or selling a similar car elsewhere in the country (on EBay for example) with your V5 (and other) details supplied.
I've previous experience (years ago) in this business because of my affiliation with the police but only yesterday I received a 2nd scam about my car (which is for sale currently):

Hello I am "fred blogs" and want to view your car. I am in Helsinki at the moment but will be back this weekend and will travel to see it. This was followed by some light communication between us and then:
"That's great, see you next week then. Oh can you send a picture of the V5 pages and your latest MoT for me to check the car out on line?"
I politely told him this wasn't going to happen.

{GDPR is one of the better things this government have come out with recently - thank god. }.

PS: Don't forget - the moment scammers get your number plate, they can access loads online about your car and possibly you................think about it before you innocently advertise your car in future.
Scammers are not just unemployed junkies anymore....they are organised criminals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom