V6 Diesel software update recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Porsche Macan S, BMW i3
I had this letter from Mercedes UK this morning wanting my car in for a recall to engine software at the request of the German Federal Motor Transport Authority.
I'm fairly sure I know what has generated this (!), has anyone else had the same thing?
My GLE is now 3 and half years old (Blimey! how did that happen already?) and on 30k miles.

IMG_0046.jpeg

Aimed at reducing NOx which can only mean even more EGR operation .

An engine should breathe clean , cold and filtered air only .

Introduce hot sooty exhaust gasses and there are consequences .

One positive to several negatives...

I'd imagine if you just ignored it, no one would come looking for you anyway.
If you'd had a remap, you definitely wouldn't want it "fixed"!

If the car is serviced at an MB dealer, most likely they will carry-out the software update at the next service regardless.

Mine is an E350 S212 purchased new in 2016 I Have had no letter but it appears that mine would fit in with these parameters.

I always worry that any software update could screw something else up.

mine is on a service contract and is not due a service until April, maybe they would just update the car without seeking my permission?

robin

My guess is if you have a car with the 'dodgy' map installed from new all main dealers will be instructed from very very high up to replace it with the 'new and improved' version.

With or without the owners consent. In the USA VW were forced to buy back thousands of cars and pay a fine of more than 40 billion dollars and suffered untold damage to future sales in the US because of the outright lies they told the consumer, 'diesel-gate' makes it sound like a trivial thing, but when the government of the biggest economy in Europe colludes with a part state owned car manufacturer to lie to it's customers we should all take a dim view of it. Luckily the USA were having none of it and got the big stick out to slap them down...European customers ? well , not much has happened here. :dk:

Mercedes Benz , BMW and probably the rest of them are quietly doing whatever they can to avoid the same fate.

If it was my car it would never see the inside of a main MB dealer ever again.

What are all of you expecting to happen with this update? Will it be detrimental to the engine? Will it be noticeably different to drive? They say power and torque won't be compromised and the work to be warranted.
Why all the fuss?

^^^Agree,Check out 'Dirty Money' on Netflix. Seek out the one about the VW scandal. Shocking behavior, nothing but a string of lies.

In the USA VW were forced by law to buy back the cars affected...no such luck in the EU i'm afraid.

With VW I read you could refuse to have it done, think that's what I'll do, if it ain't broke.......

I'm not about to rush into anything.
I will consider the options when I have all the information....and there are lots of questions I need to ask.
The problem will be that anyone I speak to at Mercedes UK will probably know less about it than I do!

Bottom line is that the car is running absolutely fine and is now out of warranty.
The first question to ask is for who's benefit is the recall? I'm sure I'll get many different answers to that one depending who I ask:dk:

Hi

I got a letter the other day. My cars a 250d gle, reg April 2016 had from new, FMBSH, last serviced July, just gone over 15k miles.
Nox sensor replaced at 14700.

This recall, I'm confused. Are you guys saying my cars performance will be affected? If so, how.

Thanks

The software update is aimed at reducing NOx so more EGR and Adblue operation , so more wear for these emission systems .

With even more egr inert gasses gives more incomplete combustion through less oxygen = even more soot for the dpf to deal with along with reduction of drivability .

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom