• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Valeo alternator regulator

The mallard

I am getting an occaisional over voltage on cold starting (peaking at 17v) which trigers srs, light sensor and stability control warnings which all reset (apart from the light sensor) within a few seconds as the voltage stabilises at 14-14.5v.

I am assuming the voltage regulator is intermittently faulty.

The car is a C200k coupe 2003. with a valeo alternator. Does anyone know where I can get a voltage regulator for this alternator, or is there any other voltage regulator fitted in the car?

I did go to an auto electrician but am stil waiting for him to call back!!

I would have it checked on star but the last time it was checked for another fault the indy discovered that numerous things could not be read, which he thought was a fault in the ignition switch. I am unwilling to spend £500 on an EIS when everything else seems okay for the moment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. It appears you can get a valeo regulator , about£80 plus VAT.
Unless anyone can come up with another cause for a 17v+ voltage spike on cold starting looks like its a £100 calculated risk!

£80-100 seems a bit steep for an alternator regulator? At that money I would be hesitant to commit to purchase without a little more evidence that's the problem. For example -wonder if your starter solenoid contacts are a bit worn leading to a bit more arcing on turnover?

Thanks for the suggestions. ECP do not do a regulator,and MB are actually cheaper than anyone I have found so far for a valeo regulator (£78 + vat)

My concern is I have to do something soon as I hate to think what a 17v voltage spike could do to other components.

I am at a loss as to what can cause an overvoltage other than a generator fault. The reason I am leaning towards the regulator is that I believe an alternator can potentialy supply up to 18v. (I get 17+v)

This is only a cold weather problem. First saw it last winter, when I got the errors flag up on starting. An indy suspected the EIS, but it stopped with the warm weather. It was reading these forums I discovered the method to monitor voltage with the 3 press of the knob on the speedo technique.

It never happened in the summer, but has recurred now it is cold. Never happens with a warm engine. I do know electrical components can 'fail' in low temps but work at normal temps.

Any more ideas, or anyone got a A271 154 0902 alternator lying around?

My advice is to stop driving it NOW. 17V can blow the SAM units and the engine control unit in a flash.

Are you sure ECP can't do the reg pack. Get the part number from MB and give it to them. Or remove it from the car and take the Valeo number from it. ECP are a Valeo dealer!

Be careful as the alternator can be fitted backwards/upside down on your car.

My local ECP was pretty adamant they did not, Thanks for the tip about fitting, thinking about it, I see how it could happen.

ECP sales staff are lazy. Use another and push them for a deal too. They have a head office that source parts too.

Thanks for that, will do some phoning tomorrow. Does it sound like the regulator to you from the symptoms?

update

Well ECP were a joke, even tried to tell me the original fit alternator to my car was a lucas, despite my original valeo having an MB logo!!!

Anyway, managed to source a genuine new valeo regulator, replaced it without removing the alternator although rather awkward and fiddly and problem appears sorted, no overvoltage or sensor warnings in this cold weather.

Interestingly battery is not coded and windows, steering, and sun roof did not need reset. All I had to reset was the clock.

Thanks for advice offered

Oops small error, should have said the RADIO is not coded, not the battery!! Doh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom