• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Valeo question

gazzz

How do I tell if I have a Valeo rad that may get the dreaded problem?

Looking at the rad itself there's no sign of a manufacturer's name,
only the following on a sticker:

A203 500 08 54 D4093 Q5 R134A Made in France

Does this give any clues? The car is an early facelift 203 (54 plate) with a 200CDI engine.

Thanks.

If you do a search on here, someone posted pictures of how to identify a Valeo and non-Valeo radiator.

Thanks. I've looked at dozens of posts but haven't found that one yet.

Chances are, as yours is a facelift, you won't have a Valeo rad. Apparently, it only affected pre-facelift cars, like mine.......lol

It just gets more confusing :confused:

In this post (#24) a Valeo rad pic is shown with the identifying "castellated" edges and a Behr pic with a wavy crimp.

However, this post (#34) has exactly the opposite :wallbash:

BUT - that last pick also shows the Behr letter B logo and my rad has that but with wavy crimping . . .

Last edited:
I would venture to suggest that the part number you quoted - A203 500 08 54 D4093 Q5 R134A Made in France - is the A/C condenser, not the actual radiator. R134A is the refrigerant specification.

The radiator sits behind this - sandwiched between this and the fan cowling which is directly in front of the engine. To need to do some stripping down to get to the radiator.

Edit: Just done a part number search. That IS the condenser.

i can't figure out what the numbers refer to - i'm looking at a w211 with

engine 648961 30 067559
transmission 722626 05 256352

and have no clue how to map those numbers to those in the tsb :(

Model series 211 up to production date 9/2003 with M271/113/OM628/647/648 and automatic transmission 722.6

You have a series 211 with a 648 engine and 722.6 transmission so potentially have an affected engine. When was it manufactured (though I've seen several posts saying that the 9/2003 isn't hard and fast)?

It just gets more confusing :confused:

In this post (#24) a Valeo rad pic is shown with the identifying "castellated" edges and a Behr pic with a wavy crimp.

However, this post (#34) has exactly the opposite :wallbash:

BUT - that last pick also shows the Behr letter B logo and my rad has that but with wavy crimping . . .

Post 34 is bound to cause confusion. The lower picture is (again) an A/C condenser - NOT a radiator!!! :doh:

based on delivery date of 31/03/04 and also the vin decoder saying model year 2004 then i'm assuming jan 04?

Edit: Just done a part number search. That IS the condenser.

Thanks - my mistake. It was the only visible label :o

Any other ideas other than stripping it down to see if I can find another label?

Last edited:
I think a certain amount of demolition is unavoidable!

I can't speak for the W203, but the W211 has a top panel over the radiator which looks like it can be unbolted and lifted out. I hasten to add that I have never tried it though!

If you look at the bonnet closing panel see if the centre section is actually a separate panel, which is bolted to the side panels over the headlamps.

Failing that, you may be able to get a look underneath, but again you may have to remove the undertrays to see what's up there.

OK, had another look making sure it was the rad I was looking at and it definitely has the wavy crimping which would appear to mean Behr :bannana:

Thanks for your help and for clearing up my confusion.

Recognise a valeo

Is this another way to recognise which rad is fitted...?

The car was a W209 CLK270

The rad itself is obscured by the shroud, so cannot be identified clearly. But in front of it is the condenser, in front of that is a smaller cooler, with 2 pipes going into it. 1 from power steering, 1, presumably from ATF.

Therefore this is NOT valeo as the valeo has ATF cooler inside the rad etc etc.

Maybe somebody who works on these can tell us if I am right, or am I talking b******s. (wouldn't be the first time)

Some do have a separate ATF cooler. Is the one you refer to about 6-8 inches square? If so, I understand that is a separate ATF cooler, and you're right - there should not be any issues with this set up.

In fact, adding a separate cooler in the manner you have described is one of the preventative measures against possible failure if you discover that you do have a Valeo rad.

Some do have a separate ATF cooler. Is the one you refer to about 6-8 inches square? If so, I understand that is a separate ATF cooler, and you're right - there should not be any issues with this set up.

In fact, adding a separate cooler in the manner you have described is one of the preventative measures against possible failure if you discover that you do have a Valeo rad.

6-8 inches square is right - sounds like that question is anwered - thank you lots...

now just to find out whether its galvanised or not (bodywork that is, not the rad:crazy:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom