Very nice E500 s211. High spec, rare colour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hummm, the changes of being an M113 engine are very high as e500 s211 with the m273 engine are super rare and tend to have facelift headlights ( so 2007 onwards)
Facelift manufacturing started Spring 2006 with first car reviews published Summer 2006, and those are facelift headlights.

The VIN build sheet says M113 engine, but we haven't seen that engine yet....

0999C1DA-442C-4D59-951E-4A5F1192849E.jpeg

Those are the same headlights that my pre-facelift S211s had (2003 and 2004, six altogether). The facelift cars had what you see here:

Mercedes E CLASS (W211) E320 CDI AVANTGARDE 2006 Estate 5d Tip Auto (7) | eBay.

And here:

That's a pre-facelift car, so if it has a V8, it will be an M113.
Furthermore, on the ZF parts app, when inserting the registration you get engine code M113.967, so confirming a M113 engine

Those are the same headlights that my pre-facelift S211s had (2003 and 2004, six altogether). The facelift cars had what you see here:
It's a facelift grille, though? I know Derek (druk, rip) facelifted one of his 211s and he said it wasn't straightforward or as simple as replacing the grille, it needed bumpers etc.
Lots of other observations, what with sunroof, mot questions and previous ads, but if it's a run out model using old and new bits and bobs with good specs thrown in? Certainly worth looking at if you're interested I'd have thought.

Why do people get hung up about the higher RFL?

If you can afford to run a 5 litre V8 then a few hundred pounds more than a 3 litre Diesel is surely irrelevant?

Yes it's 500 so really not a bother :) Least you get some go for your dough.

Now if we are talking about a 2.5 l slow as £hit Volvo load lugger, many of which I've pondered before, now that is somewhat annoying.

More than six years old? Always buy on mileage, servicing AND condition.

It's a facelift grille, though? I know Derek (druk, rip) facelifted one of his 211s and he said it wasn't straightforward or as simple as replacing the grille, it needed bumpers etc.
Lots of other observations, what with sunroof, mot questions and previous ads, but if it's a run out model using old and new bits and bobs with good specs thrown in? Certainly worth looking at if you're interested I'd have thought.
The lack of sunroof and rear folding bench missing from the car when they appear on MB's own build sheet cannot be attributed to an Italian/British Leyland style cobbling together of parts for a run out of a pre-facelift model. Something is askew and I'd like be interested in people that have enquired about viewings, actually viewing. Until then, I'm of the opinion that this is a dodgy example.

I quite agree with you, Michael, and it would appear that way with all these pointers from keen and observant eyes.

The only reason I give the other side of the possibilities is that it's not uncommon for online spec sheets to be wrong and I once had a Peugeot 406 from new, which had one of the first of the 110 hdi engines in a pre facelift car, which made it very rare. Someone travelled 60 odd miles to view when I sold it and was quite irate that it wasn't a facelft car, which virtually all of them were. He was adamant there was something dodgy about it, particularly as he didn't want a pre facelift car, so these things can happen. It's a rare car amongst rare cars and if I was looking for one I'd want to go and see it.

The registration date of my W219 is also April 2006 & it has the M113. That is of course assuming the engines were updated in parallel across the range.

I saw this advertised and was slightly confused too. There are definitely some peculiarities here. There were E500 Sport Models launched in 2005 with the AMG body additions as options so the bodywork looks fine. The grille and badge are located as per the facelift and the steering wheel is from an early 212, so maybe a previous owner upgraded these (and the wheels are non-standard too). I thought the 5.5 was available from July 2006 so either the vin number quoted is wrong -it might explain the lack of a sunroof. Paint looks great in the photos - I hope it’s a straight car but a few questions would need to be asked…

It doesn't have the Sunroof, nor the rear bench seat in the boot. The mirrors look different, too.

Well, sorry, but I reckon it does have a sunroof. If you zoom in and look VERY carefully at the 3rd image, you can just make out the trailing edge of it, where it distorts the reflection of the house behind.

Sunroof.jpg

Most of my faculties are diminishing with age, but my eyesight's still ok!

Also, where does it say it's got the third row of seats?

Last edited:
Well, sorry, but I reckon it does have a sunroof. If you zoom in and look VERY carefully at the 3rd image, you can just make out the trailing edge of it, where it distorts the reflection of the house behind.

View attachment 123458

You can see the sunroof switch in picture six also? :thumb:

Hum.. I don't think it does have the sunroof, as the VIN mentions sunroof in glass, therefore it would be quite easy to see from the pictures that show the roof, such as picture number 3.

View attachment 123458

By George, I think you're right about the sunroof; well spotted.

The third row of seats is Option 844 on these; it does not have that option on the datacard.

The oap mb club detectives need to visit specsavers, it has a sunroof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom