• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W123 - Deluded seller

fatherpierre

Car
1980 W123 230, 1994 W124 E280 & 2010 Mini Cooper S
I followed this car when it was up for auction a few weeks ago. It ended at just over £1000 with me the high bidder, but reserve not me. I text him and he said he wanted £2000, with is too much for a tatty looking car with no description, and it was described as rust free - which it clearly isn't, so I left it. There's a large rust hole to the bonnet which he's forgetting to show in those terrible pictures.

Since this listing it's been up for £2250, then upped to £2650 and now at a comedy asking price of £3250 but a few more words included in the ad. It doesn't sell, so his logic is to keep upping the price?

His car, he can ask what he wants - I just find his marketing tactic rather amusing. He's upping his valuation in the hope that someone with a more valuable car to PX will come along and accept an inflated value on the W123.

MERCEDES 300 DIESEL PX ?? | eBay

The world is full of deluded sellers - both private and trade. Pass them by and keep looking elsewhere.

He knows he won't get £3k for it, but he wants £2k. So when someone contacts him about it, he allows them to beat him down 2k, he's got the money he wanted and they feel like they've got a good chunk of money off. When he listed it with a reserve of 2k, it wasn't met. You contacted him offering him half of that.

Also maybe he's happy to sit on the car and doesn't need a quick sale.

I agree though it's shady and if it's in poorer condition than he's describing then he's asking for a world of pain when someone travels hundreds of miles with a rented trailer to collect it and finds a load of rust...

In my recent search for an SL I came across one described as "showroom" having a FSH and priced at £9500.

It was pretty good, but not immaculate, some early bubbling on the arch flanges, some damage to leather inside, but the SH stopped in 2008! Not serviced (or no proof) for 5 years. But no negotiation at all.

Last edited:
he breaks w123 hence ebay id hoping to get sombody to for the parts r worth criminal yet legal

He must have made a typing error. This car looks more like £325.00 W123.
He is delusional if he dreams of selling it for more than £1k.

He knows he won't get £3k for it, but he wants £2k. So when someone contacts him about it, he allows them to beat him down 2k, he's got the money he wanted and they feel like they've got a good chunk of money off. When he listed it with a reserve of 2k, it wasn't met. You contacted him offering him half of that.

Also maybe he's happy to sit on the car and doesn't need a quick sale.

I agree though it's shady and if it's in poorer condition than he's describing then he's asking for a world of pain when someone travels hundreds of miles with a rented trailer to collect it and finds a load of rust...

I didn't offer him a grand, I was high bidder at a grand. That's what the market deemed it to be worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom