W123 Rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robst3

Car
w123 230e
I'm after a 123 4door and looked at one today. Couldn't get the bonnet up into the vertical position to check the hinges for rot, can anyone explain exactly how to do this?

It had chrome arches fitted, didn't remove them but from what i could see and feel from the inside and where they poked out past the chrome the arches seemed solid - is it essential to remove the chrome to check?

The front valance was rotten at the bottom lip, I don't see that being anything more than cosmetic?

There was some moisture in the boot and some white streaks coming from the upper back down the wheel wells. Also looking into where the boot hinges were I could see some orangeness... Where would this water be coming from? I couldn't see anywhere obvious.

The boot also has a fairly significant hole in the ledge the lid closes onto, just to the right of the latch. What would have allowed water to collect here? And where would water entering this hole travel to? (thinking it may have rusted through somewhere else too).

Last but not least it had a bit of surface looking rust at the bottom middle of the windscreen - should I assume the frame is rotten under the seal?

Its due its MOT late October and the last one had no advisories on so I'm hopeful that there is no structural rust issues that would stop it getting another 12 months...

Any advice would be ace, very keen to have a w123 in my life.

When you have the bonnet lifted to its normal 45 degree or so open , there are a couple of catches near the 'knee' of the hinge , which need to be pulled out to allow the hinge to open further - you pull one first , then while holding the bonnet up , go round and pull the other one ( can't remember which one first - it has been a while ) , once the bonnet is vertical , one of the catches clicks into a slot to keep it there .

As for the arches , if they seem sound feeling around the inside , chances are they are OK , front wings are easily replaced ( if costly for genuine ones ) , so worry more about the rear ones , although repair sections can be welded in if need be . The front valance is just cosmetic and cheap to replace .

The leading expert in the UK is Mark Cosovich , he runs a business restoring these models and is a good source of spare parts , tel 01792 846888

Mark is very helpful and will give lots of advice over the phone .

He sometimes has cars for sale too .

Thanks for the reply. After some investigation it seems as though the most troubling bit would be the leaking boot which most likely will be a rotten rear screen lip under the seal. If I had more time I wouldn't mind but I already have a project car :rolleyes:

I have the same thing with both my W126's : the problem seems to be recognised as a fault with the screen seal but , as you say , the bottom lip of the screen aperture , then the parcel shelf rusts as a consequence . It is the worst thing wrong with each of my cars ,

Yes it does seem to be a common problem... Do yours have OEM seals? I think I will reseal mine using some kind of sealant (once i've purchased the car).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom