W124 CE -Advice (Lowering)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Indeed,

Replaced all the springs with apex 35mm's all round, replaced the arb and all shock absorbers too. Found an interesting discovery which caused the car to handle terrible and just not feel right. Someone previously had ago at lowering it, however one side had lowering springs and the other didnt :S As seen in the picture below - The yellow spring being the new apex!
Also, an update - Im sending in the grill and alloys (18" amg monoblocks) to be painted black tomorrow and should also be collecting the freshly painted wings!

9fjf2.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing what these 124's go through during swapping hands!

Hi all,

New to this forum - However I use Edition38 quite regularly.

Also just a cheeky photo of my golf with the coupe!
14982_10151703770328787_1019062653_n.jpg

Just after a bit of advice with lowering my coupe - Im planning on having AMG monoblocks either 17/18's and want to lower it, getting rid of the arch gap.

Two queries,

1) What is the best offset and width to allow zero rubbing for both 17" and 18"
2) Are the w124 springs the same for the w124 ce?
i.e. Will these fit APEX Lowering Springs Mercedes 200/200D/230E W124 85-96 | eBay

Thanks

Dan

Well, looking at the two cars, I know which I'd rather have. Once you've changed the wheels on that CE it should look great.

Why do you want to lower it? I looks, to me at least, quite low enough for a road-going Merc.

I say that because I have a 300CE Sportline and I had a Bilstein B12 lowering kit fitted. No complaints, it did what it said.

But, I do wish I'd stayed with the original Sportline. The handling's great with the B12 but it causes grief just too often for me with things like speed bumps, driveway entrances, high kerbs that you may wish to mount - etc, etc.

So, if I can persuade someone to stick with MB original, and save them from the minor miseries I've endured, then the world will be a better place.

Hang on, that sounded a bit like b@ll@cks. But you know what I mean.

Good luck, whatever you do.

RayH

PS: Also remember that spring specifications depend on the specification of your car. More accessories = stiffer springs. My B12 kit had to be a stiffer rating just because the car has a radio. It's done (by the right people: MB, Bilstein, H&R etc.) on a points system. The more points, the heavier the car, the stiffer the springs. The right people get it right.

Last edited:
Hi all, fitted all new wishbone, shocks and 35mm suspension without any problems.
I have created a build thread which can be seen here:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/145711-w124-mercedes-230-ce.html#post1646301

However, I do have a problem, oddly, the 235/40/18 tires are perfectly fine at the front without any problems. The rears are the problem, the arch is virtually sitting on the tires. All I can suggest is adding camber, however my Dad said that this is not possible on the rear? Any suggestions at all, maybe cut back the arch?

Hi all, fitted all new wishbone, shocks and 35mm suspension without any problems.
I have created a build thread which can be seen here:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/145711-w124-mercedes-230-ce.html#post1646301

However, I do have a problem, oddly, the 235/40/18 tires are perfectly fine at the front without any problems. The rears are the problem, the arch is virtually sitting on the tires. All I can suggest is adding camber, however my Dad said that this is not possible on the rear? Any suggestions at all, maybe cut back the arch?

You can change the camber,

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27401&highlight=w124+camber

But I think they buy custom pieces to do it. Lots of info on the above link.

Last edited:
Looking good dan.

Where about dud you fet your grill painted and how much was it to gave it done?

Scott

My Dad has 'mate rates' and I had the two wings, front bumper, grill and wheels refurbed all for £250

Have a hunt around on that board, quite a few have lowered theres, might be another solution in there.

What offset are your wheels? if 37 you could gain around 1/2" going to 42

I have the 8J ET 31, How can you gain offset? I thought you could only lower it using spacers and therefore making it poke out more?

I have the 8J ET 31, How can you gain offset? I thought you could only lower it using spacers and therefore making it poke out more?

42 is the factory for 17x7.5 wheels (at least it is on my 320ce) that would pull the rim back into the arch by 11mm over your 31's

looking good Dan,

is there a specific reason why you chose a 235 over a 225? 225 is the 'correct' size for a 18x8

If the rear hasnt been rolled then that should be the next step. The arch lips at the rear are double skinned and are pretty rigid. I good arch roller person will get this tucked up nicely. I wouldnt cut then if i were you. Google Arch Enemy.

You can get camber adjustment kits, Mines (as an example) has natural rear camber due to the nature of lowering. negative camber isnt a good idea if you use your car daily, you'll be going through rear rubber quite quickly.

just to clarify incase there's any confusion: a 31 offset will poke out more vs. a 35 offset.

the lower the number the more poke. Important thing with offsets are you need to strike a balance between the J of the alloy and the tyres. With the w124's the factory spec 8 hole alloys were 15 x 6.5 J ET44 - so quite a bit of space under them arches.

Your 18x8 ET31 is no problem at all - Just the tyre size of 225 all around would be better.

To put things in perspective i'm sticking a 9J at the rear offset 35 with a 235/40 tyre.

I was advised that it wouldn't be possible to fit a 9J at the rear of a 124 . :rolleyes: it can, if you pay attention to little details!

have you put spacers on @ the front of your car?

Last edited:
just to clarify incase there's any confusion: a 31 offset will poke out more vs. a 35 offset.

the lower the number the more poke. Important thing with offsets are you need to strike a balance between the J of the alloy and the tyres. With the w124's the factory spec 8 hole alloys were 15 x 6.5 J ET44 - so quite a bit of space under them arches.

Your 18x8 ET31 is no problem at all - Just the tyre size of 225 all around would be better.

To put things in perspective i'm sticking a 9J at the rear offset 35 with a 235/40 tyre.

I was advised that it wouldn't be possible to fit a 9J at the rear of a 124 . :rolleyes: it can, if you pay attention to little details!

have you put spacers on @ the front of your car?

Remember the amg wheels I showed you a couple of weeks ago? I went a head and bought them with the tyres already fitted. I was reading a thread on here the other day, he had 9J amg monoblocks on the ce too.

Its not my daily, will be using the golf as the daily - the merc maybe just on the weekend and so on :cool:

No spacers at the front of the car.

Also would like to thank you for the lights - very pleased with them indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom