W124-Lowering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is an "it" missing from that sentance. Changed the whole meaning, Grrrrr.

At first, I would changed only the stock springs to fit on H&R or eibach springs.
However I read several posts and I found that it is best to change dampers at the same time when lowering a car.

So, I found an H&R cup kit on ebay at a fairly good price.

However, I would be pleased if anyone could recommend me a lowering set up at a better price before buying the H&R kit from this seller:

H&R Cup-Kit Sportfw. 30/30mm Mercedes W124 E-Klasse | eBay

And should I fear whether this kit is a replica or not?

Thank you

I have not studied the kit BUT a question that springs to mind is:

Presently the car has 2 suspension loading points, the spring perch, and separately the damper strut top mount.

This kit puts all (both) the spring and the damper force onto the top mount.

AS the car was never designed to cope with this loading, I would want some answers re the calculations.

A possible solution may be a helper spring remaining in the place of the original spring.

I don't think that area was an attactive option for MB when they needed a bit more support for the 500's. They ended up putting the extra spring INSIDE the shock.

So, what should I do guys? Buy the kit or not? :dk:

Thanks ;)

Presently the car has 2 suspension loading points, the spring perch, and separately the damper strut top mount.

AS the car was never designed to cope with this loading, I would want some answers re the calculations.

A possible solution may be a helper spring remaining in the place of the original spring.

If the kit has TUV, and it appears it does, I would assume it's OK

The OP just wants to lower his car and seems unmoved by any other considerations so we're just counting angels on the head of a pin

Nick Froome

The shocks on the picture are not for W124..its just a random H&R kit

you'll get dampers and springs as per OEM suspension set up

mazza

So, what should I do guys? Buy the kit or not? :dk:

Thanks ;)

The photo shown is a generic photo, not a photo of the actual kit you will receive. The shocks & springs supplied are direct replacements for standard shocks & springs and mounted in exactly the same position on the car. Buy the kit - H&R are always well rated and value for money.

Hello guys!

Thanks for the help! I just purchased the whole kit for €440 including shipping. I hope that the kit will be worth the price tag!

:thumb:

Hello guys!

So I got delivery of the H&R cup kit today! :bannana:

Very heavy Box! 20kg! I was like crouching when carrying it ! Haha :crazy:
All the papers which came together are on the box!

98g512.jpg

Inside.....

35k7d40.jpg

I hope nothing is missing.....

5507yh.jpg

The rear suspensions look fine apart from one of the struts which has the "h&R" sticker stuck on a weird place. :confused:

2zsvbwy.jpg

The front suspensions look fine. However I noticed that the weldings are not that great!

9s57gg.jpg

4hp402.jpg

Also found some scuffs. The bigger one....

29xyz9.jpg

5ydona.jpg

Should I worry for what I noticed to be wrong? Is it the quality that I should expect from H&R? Above all, I hope they are genuine!:confused:

Last edited:
I'm sure they are genuine...pic makes the spring diameter appear small...
Weld quality isn't as it was in the USA B6 Sports and HD's..

Rbycc

HD's should be the same as the B6.
B4 are what we call in the US: "Comfort", not really that compatible performance wise with lowering springs.
In the USA there are both HD's and Sports in the B6 range.
HD's have identical valving with the Sport, but Sport uses an internal stop to limit the travel by 1".
I run HD's with H&R Sports lowering springs ( about 1.3" drop) and front and rear Sportline swaybars and front and rear strut/sgocktower upper bracing.

Ed A.

Hi,
Reading your posts i understood, you have some great experience.
Could you tell me please what size rubber pads you used with H&R Sports lowering springs ( about 1.3" drop). Your w124 300ce looked just perfect. I am planing to use the same combination of springs & shocks in my 1995 W124 E320 coupe.
Have you ever had any rubbing? What size of wheels & tires you used?
I have AMG monoblocks R18 width:7.0 ET 31. Do you know if they fit?

Hi,
Reading your posts i understood, you have some great experience.
Could you tell me please what size rubber pads you used with H&R Sports lowering springs ( about 1.3" drop). Your w124 300ce looked just perfect. I am planing to use the same combination of springs & shocks in my 1995 W124 E320 coupe.
Have you ever had any rubbing? What size of wheels & tires you used?
I have AMG monoblocks R18 width:7.0 ET 31. Do you know if they fit?

I run staggered monoblocks on my W124 300CE. I did have 35mm APEX Spring with a #2 Rubber Shims. However, this was far too low (even for me and im used to very low cars!). Im currently running AMG Springs at the front and 35mm APEX on the rear.

Eventually, I will be running AMG Springs all round with #1 Rubber Shims.

I did run the 35mm APEX all round on my 230 ce, (lighter at the front) and this was not an issue at all. But with the monoblocks in question, they did catch the arch with 225/40/18 tyres.

With my 300CE, I have used AMG Spacers on the front arches and I do not rub whatsoever. However, I do run 215/40/18 on the front.

7jVygfr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom