W124 Cranks but no start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigdeal337

Car
1990 W124 300E
Hi

I have W124 300E that's been sitting for about 3 years.

The car had an issue of stalling and therefore it was parked off

I finally got around to trying to start it a few weeks ago.

The car would crank but no start.
I performed the fuel pressure test opening the pipe out of the fuel regulator and turning on the ignition, no fuel came out. I the bridged 7&8 on the relay, could hear the pumps running but no fuel came out.

I then replaced the pumps, the car cranked for quite a while then started.
I thought the issue was resolved. The next morning I attempted to start the car, cranked but no start.

I then kept cranking and then found that if I cracked for like 30/40 seconds I could get the car to start.

I the found that the fuse on top of the ovp had blown and then replaced it. The car started on the turn after that.

This was the first time it idled properly. I noticed the the car was overheating and switched it off.

After a few days passed I replaced the thermostat and drained the radiator and put in radiator flush. But when I tried to start the car to run the flush. I couldn't get it to start... It eventually started with excessive cranking and was smoking white with a very rough idle. The car then cut out and wouldn't take start again.

I drained that water and put proper coolant in now but have been unable to get the car to start.

It cranks but no start. I used a screwdriver and tested that there is spark at all the ignition leads

I then opened the fuel regulator again to check if fuel was coming out when the ignition was on... Nothing

I bridged the fuel pump relay and turned the ignition on and got the 1 litre in 45 seconds
Attempted to start but just cranked with no start

I don't know what else to check now, the car still doesn't start

Check your plugs you may have a blown cylinder gasket-intermittent fuel supply may be down to partialy blocked fuel tank outlet filter

Thanks for the reply,
Will check the fuel tank outlet filter
What am I looking for with the plugs?

SIGNS OF WATER DROPLETS ON 1 OR 2 PLUGS THAT LOOK WET -OR OIL SCUM IN COOLANT RESERVOIR OR THIN WHITE STREAKS OF COOLANT ON DIPSTICK OIL OR WHITE SMOKE FROM EXHAUST WITH ENGINE RUNNING ---ALL POSSIBLE SIGNS OF CHG FAILURE. If its gone you will have to get the head machine skimmed flat or the CHG will just fail again

Do you have any leaking vacuum hoses, or small bore tube conectors that are split ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom