W124 E280 losing power on hills when shifting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elbacha

Car
W124 E280
Hello forum members

I'm facing an issue with my car which no mechanic is apt to fix it, the car shifts and accelerates very nice on straight roads, when driving on a hill, the car loses power when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, I have to kick down the gas pedal to accelerate it, it produces loud air howling noise when shifting, as if Its releasing pressure.

I may point that It accelerates very well on straight lanes, and the transmission doesnt shift into 5th gear.

Thanks for the help.

Is it misfiring under stress? Could be a failing coil pack. Might be drawing unmetered air, check air filter, housing and duct to throttle body for leaks. Check for vacuum leaks which could be affecting the shift speeds. No fifth is likely to be the control module.

My transmission is 5 speed, the transmission control unit is for a 4 speed.

The howling noise when shifting was from the fan running faster than the engine due to clutch damage, not related to transmission, I thought its an RPM surge due to slipping.

I scanned for erros, I received those below:
Valve for gear 5 ( I cleared the error with a reset)
Transmission overload protection switch: signal implausible
CAN : no receive error from CIS

Drove the car for a while its accelerating pretty well on hills, no need to kickdown, just floor it will engage the lower gear, I think the issue is with the gears 4&5 not the 3rd. Gear 4 not engaging on downhill, to decelerate, only 3rd gear.

Car specs:
Year: 1994
Engine model: HFM E280

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom