W124 E36 Estate - does this car look genuine to you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
got to agree take off the chrome tat.. add some 18' monos and lower it a tad and that would be one hot looking motor and rare to boot... :)

I've got ten on the boat at the moment ;)

Looks genuine to me, here is a pic of my C36 AMG engine that I had years ago. Compare and see what you find.

Attachments

• 202AMGs_C36_engine_2.jpg
    202AMGs_C36_engine_2.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 20
Eight grand?

So, a bit of work required to remove some tat and fit original h/lamps. Get a set of period AMG alloys and if Brigadier is correct get a matching front or rear bumper plus front wing claddings and then paint. Maybe remove the tints too. Now, presuming it's good mechanically (the dirty engine doesn't do it any favours) and the there's no hidden rust is it worth that sort of money? I'd reckon in L/h markets yes probably so and the Germans do like a bit of bling, but in the U.K. - am I right to have doubts?

Now, there is a twist to this story.

I have gotten the VIN number and it appears that this car is not a genuine E36 but a modified E320. Anyway, this is what the car info states:

VEHICLE TYPE: Car
MODEL NAME: 320 TE / E 320 / E36 AMG
ENGINE: 104992 12 088697
TRANSMISSION: 722503 04 130435
FRONT AXLE: BE1150S1962557731124
ORDER NUMBER: 0521405065
LIGHTS: HELLA
WIPER: BOSCH
INTERIOR COLOR: 261
PAINTS: 269

The engine code suggests this was initially E320 estate. Am I reading this correctly?

Well, all I can add is that a 104992 is a 3.2 (217bhp) engine.

Difficult to say but a lot less than it would have been if a genuine machine!

The W124 E36 was the start of the official partnership with MB. These all started life as E320's and the engines were then modified as necessary AFAIK.

The data card never shows these as E36's.

The W124 E36 was the start of the official partnership with MB. These all started life as E320's and the engines were then modified as necessary AFAIK.

The data card never shows these as E36's.

Hmmm, this is now seriously confusing. So what would be a fool-proof way to establishing whether a car is a genuine E36 if the data card does not show so?

Also, where would I find info regarding the mechanical differences between E320 and E36 (apart from a different engine of course)?

Maybe have a look at the ECU if that's practical or ask for a photo, might be a specific AMG part number on it?

Look for the HWA part number stamped onto the head, Billy may have a shot of exactly where to find it, but I think it is at the front of the head.

Looking at what the VIN has said, it does look suspicious. The VIN states its a 3.2 with a 722.5 5-speed auto box. Genuine E36 cars only came with the 722.4 4 speed box and a 2.82 rear diff. Ive seen pictures of a genuine E36 ECU and it has the AMG logo on it and its written "HM AMG 3.6L 6 Zyl" with a "HWA 124 545 12 32" part number as an example. Interior wise, the gearknob had E36 stamped on it. There would be the AMG sticker on the slam panel in the engine bay too.

Those are the things I'd be looking for to see if it was a genuine car, especially that rear diff and gearbox. Most people who do these engine swaps only put in the engine and leave the standard 3.06 rear diff in. Unless if they have a genuine 36 on the side as a complete donor car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom