w124 heater fan - refurb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smiley

MB Enthusiast
Is it possible to refurbish these - it is a non a/c model. The MB price is about £300 for a new one.

I think they have brushes on them so that might be the problem

I just took mine out, gave it a good cleanup with wd40 and popped it back in again and it was fine.

These fans are a Bosch motor in a MB specific housing. They do not seem to be designed for easy dismantling - rivetted together and with the brushes (well one of them) pretty inaccessible for replacement. The brushes are for sure the starting point but with the age of these motors and the amount of use an average 15 - 20 yr old one will have had they will be generally worn - bearings and commutator ring as well as the brushes.
Just wondering if there is a cheaper route to a new motor to run quietly for another 15 or so years.

had same problem bought from scrappy for £30, but see other threads for heater fans somebody can get as chepa as chips brand new. but like w124 said it could be just brushed that is sometimes the case with alternators too

I just took mine out, gave it a good cleanup with wd40 and popped it back in again and it was fine.

Did the same on my Sprinter last weekend.

It was making a deep droning noise and was lacking in power.

Removed unit (Valeo) got rid of all debris (leaves and nut-like seeds) lubricated well and it now blows like a new unit and is quiet to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom