W124 running temperature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grenachenoir

Car
W124 300CE
My 300CE seems to operate "warmed up" at around 50 degrees and hardly ever gets up to 80. Is this normal? It seems a bit cold to me. Any advice on what I should be looking at? Could the thermostat be stuck and if so would this be making my cold starts difficult?

Adam

50C isn't warm enough - though the stat wouldn't make a difference to cold starts , apart from engine wear following start up and fuel efficiency .

sorry that should say "idea" - poor keyboard or too much wine, I guess i'll never be sure...:)

as you say , stat missing or failed , are you sure that the displayed temperature is accurate ?

Mine sits at 80 , when sitting in traffic , it can rise to 100+ before the fan comes on .....

Had a new stat in it a while back , so i know its ok ...

Mines a 230CE , only one fan on mine , no air con either .....

Mine sits at 80 , when sitting in traffic , it can rise to 100+ before the fan comes on .....

Had a new stat in it a while back , so i know its ok ...

Mines a 230CE , only one fan on mine , no air con either .....

That sounds dead right anyway.

Thanks for all the comments. Mine has aircon and I think 2 fans but I'll need to check. Off on hols today so will probably have to wait until I get back.

Good point fredfloggle about whether the gauge is accurate - I have no idea! I suppose letting it idle until the viscous fan cuts in and then checking if the gauge reads 80 would be a quick check.

That sounds dead right anyway.

:)

I wasn't suggesting that something was wrong with it , just that that's what they're supposed to do ...

If you are sitting stationary , the fan will start up ( and make it sound like a muscle car ;) ) at 100+ , not 80 ....

You can partly drain the system via the radiator drain plug which will allow you to change the thermostat. Keep the coolant for refilling the system which should be a 50/50 water antifreeze mix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom