W124 speakers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is actually an angled plastic mounting that screws/clips into the metal parcel shelf. [unobtainable now except 2nd hand ] to mount the rear speakers. people often just mount them on the parcel shelf itself.
$(KGrHqN,!jcE656vjZthBO-Mv(YF)!~~60_58.JPG

Last edited:
Just measure it and solve your problem.

Well yes, I appreciate I need to do that! I'm just confused as to why the sellers advertise speakers that aren't going to fit in my car, and secondly, I'm trying to find out what other Estate owners have replaced these small speakers with.

There is actually an angled plastic mounting that screws/clips into the metal parcel shelf. [unobtainable now except 2nd hand ] to mount the rear speakers. people often just mount them on the parcel shelf itself.
$(KGrHqN,!jcE656vjZthBO-Mv(YF)!~~60_58.JPG

But that's the thing, it's an estate and I don't have a parcel shelf. These little speakers are in the rear doors.

But that's the thing, it's an estate and I don't have a parcel shelf. These little speakers are in the rear doors.

OOPS! Hadn't noticed that. Alas when faced with speaker size dilemmas like this the choice is usually "metalwork" :eek: or "door pod fabrication" of some description. Mercedes | Jehnert Sound Design Automotive Thinking out of the box maybe a sort of " sound bar/box "across the car behind the seats if you can find suitable mountings--- if they can stick a dog guard/luggage cover/ extra seats in maybe there's some suitable mounting points?

Sound bar, now there's a thought I haven't had before....

I was thinking of a sound bar also that could be removed like the luggage cover or built in addition to same.
An under the seat bass module may sort out the low end for the whole car, I have been reading all your posts here for some time and hopefully will be an owner soon.

I have now fitted the 124 Rainbow speakers in the front, 100 mm Rainbows in the rear doors and am starting to fit the new Pioneer subwoofer inside the spare wheel. All done without any trim modifications, which was my intention. Even though I haven't connected the sw yet the sound improvement is huge.
However, I've somehow messed up the outside temperature gauge. Suddenly the readings are about 25 degrees too high. I've not been near the gauge, but did have the heater fascia and head unit off; what is it behind here that I've messed up? The car is one of the last 220s 1996.
Any suggestions welcome.

Dont know on the outside temp gauge probably just upset the wiring a bit behind the dash.

For the sub woofer may I suggest you power it directly from the battery with a line fuse. 18 year old wiring does not take kindly to being spliced and diced.

Dont know on the outside temp gauge probably just upset the wiring a bit behind the dash.

For the sub woofer may I suggest you power it directly from the battery with a line fuse. 18 year old wiring does not take kindly to being spliced and diced.

I wish I knew which bit of the spagetti behind the head unit has upset the temp gauge.

I've not fitted a SW before and thinking about getting it done professionally. However, whilst I've had the spare wheel out, I found audio cables that end behind the head unit, a connecter for an amp, plus the attached picture. What is this?

w124.jpg

Its a while ago but as I remember, the front apertures can be cut slightly then a 4" speaker fitted, with a bit of silicone sealant, and will sound much better than the 3".

I had an estate (well, 2 estates) and also put 13cm speakers in the front doors and 16cm speakers in the rear doors, and a subwoofer. Rear speakers were driven by a 300W amp and subwoofer by a 500W amp. Also the speakers were components so there were 4 tweeters, 1 each side by the sun visor and 1 each side on the B pillar trim, pointed directly at the ear of the front seat occupant.

It was the nicest stereo install I ever had.

I put two pod speakers on the boot floor of my estate with the cable under the boot liner, attached to the carpet with velcro so can be removed as required. My car didn't have any rear speakers and I didn't want to cut the mint interior about.

If anyone is interested in a top end solution to S124 audio ... or any other W124 really, I will happily chat about it over the phone or face to face. It's a bit too much effort to re-write it all down - send a PM.

Mine has a very good set up that's not relevant to this thread since the OP has fixed himself up already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom