• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W164 ML63 - How Mad Would I Be...

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, ML63, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I'm seriously drawn to this (as posted by @Skd884 on the Ebay forum): Used Mercedes-Benz M CLASS ML63 5dr Tip Auto Stunning Full Service History, Super Rare 5 Doors ESTATE for sale in Flint, Flintshire - RobertsCarscouk

I'm not a fan of black cars, but I love the interior, and I think it goes well with black. It's a bit of a Q-car, too; take the 6.3 badges off the front wings, and it could be a cooking diesel - until the lights change and the four tailpipes bellow (I presume) up the road...
Stupid cheap, too, for what it is, but I suppose the high road tax and the horrendous fuel consumption militate against it.

I liked the driving position and comfort of the W164 ML400 diesel I had, but it was, unsurprisingly, less than agile. Road test reports suggest the 63, on 19" wheels, is a lot better. I also have my doubts about whether the high-revving M156, a sporting engine, is really suited to a great lump of a car like this. Apart from that, my only concern is how to play my music off a USB stick or SD card.

I'm not sure whether to buy it. Any and all opinions welcome.

FWIW, I think you’re only looking at it because it’s cheap :doh:

I don’t think you really want one and if you buy this example I would expect it to need quite a lot of ongoing maintenance and repairs unless you’re particularly lucky!

But it’s only a car, and life is short. If you enjoy the fun of buying another one - go for it! You can always sell it again if you don’t like it, and at least you’ve been able to enjoy the experience :cool:

Forum member @Bobby Dazzler will be your best resource for what these are like, as he’s had one for many years as a long term (and AFAIK still has it?)

If it wasn't I'd not be looking at it, but that's not the whole story. Maybe I should own an M156, then I can point out how it's inferior to the 113K from personal experience...

I liked the comfort and driving position visibility of the W164, and I'm not getting any younger; getting into the cars I have at the moment is becoming increasingly awkward, particularly in a tight parking space. Sooner rather than later I'll need something easier, and an SUV would fit the bill. If its handling belies its weight, this might be the SUV for me.

Be quick - a friend has one and is in love with it, owned it for years.

I don’t think you really want one and if you buy this example I would expect it to need quite a lot of ongoing maintenance and repairs unless you’re particularly lucky!

But it’s only a car, and life is short. If you enjoy the fun of buying another one - go for it! You can always sell it again if you don’t like it, and at least you’ve been able to enjoy the experience :cool:

Forum member @Bobby Dazzler will be your best resource for what these are like, as he’s had one for many years as a long term (and AFAIK still has it?)
Indeed I do, I’ve done 130,000 miles in it, and although it’s retired from active service I absolutely live driving it - it’s my winter car, so it’s not used much at this time of year.

How's the handling? Have you driven a non-AMG W164 for a comparison? I recall my 420 diesel as a superbly stable and unruffled cruiser, and I loved the commanding driving position, but it felt a bit ponderous in the corners if I was in a hurry.

(incidentally, according to a Motorscan free check on the reg, it covers the 0-60 sprint in 6.9 seconds. Bollocks...)

Last edited:
I’m going to stick my neck out a say, if you’re asking about the handling then it’s probably not the right car for you.

It’s approaching twenty years old and 100k miles anyway - stuff will be tired - bushes/joints/mountings and dampers etc. These are big heavy cars and you can’t defy the laws of physics.

I’ve not driven a 164 ML63 in fairness and I suspect it will hustle along well, but perhaps a bit like my 557hp GL63 it gets up to speed quickly and you run out of road - those corners come up fast! And there’s a lot of heavy car to slow down, too.

Great fun for the traffic light GP (mine is 4.9 0-62mph) and will overtake and pass things at quite frankly ridiculous speeds especially on big roads, but it’s not at all a chuckable car, and other than perhaps the G-wagon will be amongst the least dynamic AMG models ever made.
How's the handling? Have you driven a non-AMG W164 for a comparison? I recall my 420 diesel as a superbly stable and unruffled cruiser, and I loved the commanding driving position, but it felt a bit ponderous in the corners if I was in a hurry.

(incidentally, according to a Motorscan free check on the reg, it covers the 0-60 sprint in 6.9 seconds. Bollocks...)

I just saw this added on to your original post - I’m sure that is incorrect. They’re over 500hp and although they’re a heavy car I’m sure they will be quicker than that! :)

I'm seriously drawn to this (as posted by @Skd884 on the Ebay forum): Used Mercedes-Benz M CLASS ML63 5dr Tip Auto Stunning Full Service History, Super Rare 5 Doors ESTATE for sale in Flint, Flintshire - RobertsCarscouk

I'm not a fan of black cars, but I love the interior, and I think it goes well with black. It's a bit of a Q-car, too; take the 6.3 badges off the front wings, and it could be a cooking diesel - until the lights change and the four tailpipes bellow (I presume) up the road...
Stupid cheap, too, for what it is, but I suppose the high road tax and the horrendous fuel consumption militate against it.

I liked the driving position and comfort of the W164 ML400 diesel I had, but it was, unsurprisingly, less than agile. Road test reports suggest the 63, on 19" wheels, is a lot better. I also have my doubts about whether the high-revving M156, a sporting engine, is really suited to a great lump of a car like this. Apart from that, my only concern is how to play my music off a USB stick or SD card.

I'm not sure whether to buy it. Any and all opinions welcome.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I have factory upgrade wheels in both 20-inch and 21-inch sizes and the ride even on those is absolutely fine and they look fantastic.

Whilst a high-revving V8 wouldn’t be the obvious choice for an SUV it’s character suits the car perfectly, it’s an unusual but wonderful match.

There’s a 3.5mm jack plug socket in the choice box so I have a Bluetooth receiver in the glue box which play music from my phone.

Handling is very good for what it is. It’s not a sports car and doesn’t try to be, but it can cover ground very very quickly. I absolutely love hustling it along fast sweeping B roads, and have fond memories of chasing a McLaren 675 LT.

In a straight line mine will just about out accelerate a standard C 63, even on a roll, and I loved to out accelerate other cars even when towing a twin-axle caravan.

Claims that the M156 lack torque are seldom based upon real world experience. Not as much torque as a tuned M157 but it never feels wanting.

PS the 0-60 time you found is wrong, mine will do 0-60 in 4.6 seconds all day long.

Here’s mine on factory upgrade 20-inch wheels which my winter set up:

full

full

I have driven non AMG ML models and the GL 420, but briefly and a very very long time ago. Expect it to be a little sharper than the ML 420, and maybe a little lighter in the front end.

I wouldn’t describe it as ponderous. It’s softer and rolls more than later fast SUVs, but doest’t really handle any worse for it. It will cover ground as fast as any of them though.

I really can’t speak highly enough of them.

I think it’s also worth adding that (IMHO) the ride on these is actually rather good - well I mean my 166 is, and I suspect the 164 ML63 on air will be pretty good too. Compared to something like a 212-era AMG onwards which are on steel springs up front and have very low profile tyres - they are really quite rigid for a car that is typically used for transporting people/family/pets etc.

So yes they are big and heavy, but make a good compromise between handling and comfort for the majority of the UK pot-holed and speed hump covered roads.

I think it’s also worth adding that (IMHO) the ride on these is actually rather good - well I mean my 166 is, and I suspect the 164 ML63 on air will be pretty good too. Compared to something like a 212-era AMG onwards which are on steel springs up front and have very low profile tyres - they are really quite rigid for a car that is typically used for transporting people/family/pets etc.

So yes they are big and heavy, but make a good compromise between handling and comfort for the majority of the UK pot-holed and speed hump covered roads.
Yes the suspension set up is near identical to the 166 models but in the 166 it’s tuned to be firmer. The 164 is therefore slightly softer and probably better for it 👍🏻

Is Airmatic standard on these? The ad only mentions 'advanced suspension'.

A very interesting car, but be aware of " possible " expenditure ahead.
I have a brilliant 2008 GL420 and have owned it about 6 years or so, but in that time I have had to replace rear air bags and front air struts, brake lines, discs and pads and also callipers. Numerous other items purely down to wear and tear, however it is a keeper and I dont mind spending a bit to keep it tip top. I probably only do 6000 miles a year or so but I really enjoy driving it and love the high driving position, it is no slouch off the line for a deisel as well !

You're not putting me off it as much as you might. I'm well aware of the possibility - perhaps almost inevitability - of expensive maintenance, but it's only money after all, and if I don't spend it my kids will only squander it after I'm gone, so I might as well cut out the waiting and squander it myself...

It may be Fate that I buy it. I just happen to have a W164 load area net/dog guard in the garage, so won't need to buy one, I love the interior colour scheme, and I'm going up that way next weekend to visit family...

You're not putting me off it as much as you might. I'm well aware of the possibility - perhaps almost inevitability - of expensive maintenance, but it's only money after all, and if I don't spend it my kids will only squander it after I'm gone, so I might as well cut out the waiting and squander it myself...

It may be Fate that I buy it. I just happen to have a W164 load area net/dog guard in the garage, so won't need to buy one, I love the interior colour scheme, and I'm going up that way next weekend to visit family...
They’re not really that expensive to run. Buy wisely, a car which has been well maintained. Look after it and it will look after you. Genuinely one of the best cars I have had the pleasure of owning, I can’t speak highly enough of them. They’re not everyone’s cup of tea though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom