• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W164 ML63 - How Mad Would I Be...

The 156 hater owns a 156 good man you have finally bitten your tongue, you couldn't resist, could you 😄👍
I thought I ought to try one; now I have.

I was right; a 113K, even with the five-speed, would be better.... Not by much, mind you; I'm not disappointed - the 156 is still pretty good.

I was right; a 113K, even with the five-speed, would be better.... Not by much, mind you; I'm not disappointed - the 156 is still pretty good.
Wait till you red line it slim, assuming your testies are large enough to cope.

:D

I have; they are; I'm used to more powerful and faster iron, remember... :thumb:

It's quite stately and quiet, actually, but it can do the biz when necessary. Very 'Mercedes' rather than the great hairy-chested creature other AMGs of that era are. I like it.

Last edited:

Disagree, having had the 113k myself, heat stroke is a big factor. The SC whine is nice and gives a solid punch. But the rawness of the 156 is better in my opinion. Each to our own I guess. Hope it serves you well 👍. They definitely aren't slouches like some suggest!

How're you finding the throttle response BOF?

How're you finding the throttle response BOF?

No complaints. It's not as instant as the R172 SLK55, so it's easier to get away from a standstill smoothly than that was, and I prefer it that way.

Could it be because of the weight of the ML at over 2.1 ton or the 55 being a more responsive engine generally?

It's also possible that mrrcedes have set up some of these cars to not be too responsive except in sport plus otherwise the driving experience might be too raw and not refined enough

Last edited:
Could it be because of the weight of the ML at over 2.1 ton or the 55 being a more responsive engine generally?

It's also possible that mrrcedes have set up some of these cars to not be too responsive except in sport plus otherwise the driving experience might be too raw and not refined enough
The ML is one of the softest applications of the M156 - the exhaust is tuned to be purposeful but softer in tone and the same is true for the the fly-by-wire throttle which is very progressive.

I reckon I'll keep it, unless Terry Gates finds anything serious wrong tomorrow; worse than leaky cam cover(s) - I think that's the likely source of the minor oil leak.

I like it. It just feels very 'right', very 'Mercedes' to drive - smooth, quiet, quick if you need it. It could do with a quicker rack, mind, to cut down on the wheel twirling.

The interior is very Mercedes too - well, my type of Mercedes. I still don't much care for black cars, but for me, that interior (buttery cream - how MB just called it Brown is beyond me) is about as good as it gets for a black car.

The 156 isn't ideally suited to an SUV; it's a bit, well, limp in the lower part of the rev range compared to a 113K or 156, but we all knew that already, and it's not a problem; just hoof it a bit more... I rarely use the top end of the rev range on anything these days, TBH; the red mist doesn't come down nearly as often as it used to. I retired in April, so I'm rarely really in a hurry now. I guess I must be getting old...

It's a surprisingly serene car to drive; performance rarely feels other than effortless, and I like that a lot. Fingers crossed for tomorrow...

I reckon I'll keep it, unless Terry Gates finds anything serious wrong tomorrow; worse than leaky cam cover(s) - I think that's the likely source of the minor oil leak.

I like it. It just feels very 'right', very 'Mercedes' to drive - smooth, quiet, quick if you need it. It could do with a quicker rack, mind, to cut down on the wheel twirling.

The interior is very Mercedes too - well, my type of Mercedes. I still don't much care for black cars, but for me, that interior (buttery cream - how MB just called it Brown is beyond me) is about as good as it gets for a black car.

The 156 isn't ideally suited to an SUV; it's a bit, well, limp in the lower part of the rev range compared to a 113K or 156, but we all knew that already, and it's not a problem; just hoof it a bit more... I rarely use the top end of the rev range on anything these days, TBH; the red mist doesn't come down nearly as often as it used to. I retired in April, so I'm rarely really in a hurry now. I guess I must be getting old...

It's a surprisingly serene car to drive; performance rarely feels other than effortless, and I like that a lot. Fingers crossed for tomorrow...
I’m glad you are enjoying it and I hope there are no surprises when inspected. They’re great cars.

How was the inspection? I do want a 4x4 around here but I think something Uber slow and old. Maybe a 300gd.

You're welcome slim ;)

How was the inspection? I do want a 4x4 around here but I think something Uber slow and old. Maybe a 300gd.
He'll call me on Monday when it's done.

He did mention that there are two likely culprits for the oil leak, one of them pretty expensive. Looking at the service history, the crankshaft rear main bearing seal (eight hours' labour...) was changed 40K miles ago, so it's probably just the cheap cam cover gasket(s) job (he said hopefully...).

By all accounts a G-Wagen is very good off-road, but an agricultural pig to drive as a road car. Just like a Land Rover of the same vintage, then...

The other will be the crankcase breather that can leak on them, not a massive job either but sounds pretty good.

Yes very true. Also thinking about an Cherokee XJ or RR Classic if I'm feeling especially adventurous

None of the above...
Stupid money to fix...

It's the steering rack that is leaking. £3675.75 from MB, brand new, no factory - refurbished available. :oops: 💩 :eek: :eek: :eek:😭...

However: Mercedes ML W164 2005 to 2011 Remanufactured Steering Rack Sensor Type ( EXCH) | eBay

£395 exchange, in stock on the shelf and ready to go. That's better... (Ali Express will do one for about £120-150; thanks, but no thanks.) Terry did mention that the fluid in the steering reservoir is the wrong colour, so it may well be that some thick-fingered numpty of a grease monkey topped it up with the wrong stuff, and knackered the seals thereby, but it is what it is now. Final bill will be about a grand all-in, but I expect the dealer will cover most of that; if not, I'll send him a copy of my CCJ award against that other dealer for the E500, which should make him think...

Only other fault found is one duff parking sensor, which I knew about, and some pitting on the (nearly new) discs due to lack of use over the past couple of years. I can live with that, and the pads are nearly new too.

I was right; it's good 'un. I'm keeping it.

I excellent. You’ll love it. It will get under your skin.
I think it already has. There are a few minor irritations - steering a bit low-geared, no hill hold facility at traffic lights, no beep on locking, no one-=touch COMAND satnav doesn't do postcodes, LED displays and instruments a bit too dim for easy reading in strong sunlight if I'm wearing my shades, no one-touch switches to disable the volumetric and tilt alarm functions on locking it with my dog in the car - but nothing to put me off. It just feels so effortless, so right, so very 'Mercedes'; it's always a pleasure to drive, not least because of the elevated driving position. I like it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom