• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W202 Sport leather confusion

Remember some might be MB-Tex (vinyl) too :D.

The sets I bought seem to be all leather but not sure how you tell the difference with leatherette. I've never been aware the OEM W202 'leather' ones are anything but that.

mercedes w202 seats

will face lift leather seats and door cards fit in my 1994 w202 mercedes benz cheers if any body can help me if there are any body out there haveing problems with air bag lights i have a fix :)

I have the chance to source a full leather interior but it is electric. I saw a post where andy27168 described having done this himself, but I'm still unsure about the loom requirements. The seller tells me his seats come with 2 looms for each seat - "1 goes from the controls mounted on the door card through into the footwell where another joins it then goes to the motor on the seat".

From this thread http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/interior/123829-w202-classic-retrofitting-leather-interior.html it seems there are also some looms runs going to the boot etc. Is that correct, or will the 4 looms do the job?

Any advice is much appreciated. But maybe a conversion to electric leather is a step too far?

Cheers.

Last edited:
will face lift leather seats and door cards fit in my 1994 w202 mercedes benz cheers if any body can help me if there are any body out there haveing problems with air bag lights i have a fix :)

Hi,
The seats will bolt straight in, though the later seats will have a 3 wire occupancy switch and your original seat would of only had 2 wire, provided of course your car even has a passenger seat air bag.
The back seats will fit as long as you don,t try to fit folding rear seat in car that did,nt have them from build.
Door cards fit but you will have to remove the door handle brackets on the door and drill additional holes in the door to secure the cards around the handle etc.

I have the chance to source a full leather interior but it is electric. I saw a post where andy27168 described having done this himself, but I'm still unsure about the loom requirements. The seller tells me his seats come with 2 looms for each seat - "1 goes from the controls mounted on the door card through into the footwell where another joins it then goes to the motor on the seat".

From this thread http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/interior/123829-w202-classic-retrofitting-leather-interior.html it seems there are also some looms runs going to the boot etc. Is that correct, or will the 4 looms do the job?

Any advice is much appreciated. But maybe a conversion to electric leather is a step too far?

Cheers.

Hi,
Done this a couple of years ago to my C230K, i found it quite easy though there was a lot of removal to fit the looms.
I have a wiring drawing somewhere if you want it (and i can find it).

Hi,
Done this a couple of years ago to my C230K, i found it quite easy though there was a lot of removal to fit the looms.
I have a wiring drawing somewhere if you want it (and i can find it).

That would be great ta. My main concern is the looms. In your old post you talk about connecting into the boot. Does 2 looms per seat sound right or should there be additional looms?

Ok, I,ll see if I can find the diagram for you over the next day or two.
I think the guy has cut the cables that go to the boot fuse box and relay as when i removed the looms from the donor car there were only the door looms and the main chassis loom, this loom went from each door to each seat and there were at least six cables that went to the boot fuse box and the relay. But when you get the drawing it should confirm in more detail what is missing, though essentially it will only be 12V fused supplies.
From memory the relay feeds both seats when ignition is on, or the front door(s) are open, the relay is connected directly to the vehicles battery and when energised by the ignition or door being open it feeds six fuses in the boot fuse box which in turn feed the seat movement motors via. the door panel mounted switches

The seller tells me he cut off the power leads that go to the boot. Hummmm.

One more question, can you removed the cloth or leather trim that covers the airbag off the door panel? I was thinking that instead of swapping the whole door panel I could just swap this trim over, or it that not possible? My current interior is manual black cloth with black panels, and the one I was looking at was electric grey leather and grey panels. My thinking was to create a two tone black trim with grey leather effect. Possible?

If both cars are facelift then swapping this panel on the door card is pointless as they will be direct swap, besides it is not designed to be removed from memory, though i dare say you could do it.

The thing is I don't want a black dash and grey doors! But I thought black dash and doors with grey leather might look good. Maybe.

Hi,
I Have found the wiring diagrams, there is one for the drivers and passenger side seat, you can see in the diagram the power seat relay this is about £20-25 from MB,
RH Seat
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1995/C220/SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS/5319.pdf
LH Seat
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1995/C220/SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS/5316.pdf

The fuse box and relay shown in the two diagrams is the same one.
You should already have the rear fuse box, but possibly be missing the additional fuse holders inside it.

Last edited:
Well its certainly worth a try, but to be honest I think grey interior cars had black dashes from the factory anyway.
The leather swatches are held on by what looks like plastic clips/rivets which you nearly have to destroy to release them but if your carefull I think it would be possible, you might even be able to plastic weld (soldering iron) the clips, I,m going to look at this one day myself as i want to get my leather door swatches retrimmed to match the designio interior on the C43/55.

Last edited:
Well its certainly worth a try, but to be honest I think grey interior cars had black dashes from the factory anyway.
The leather swatches are held on by what looks like plastic clips/rivets which you nearly have to destroy to release them but if your carefull I think it would be possible, you might even be able to plastic weld (soldering iron) the clips, I,m going to look at this one day myself as i want to get my leather door swatches retrimmed to match the designio interior on the C43/55.

Cheers, I've had a look at Google images, and they confirm that the grey interior cars have a black dash.

Correct. My 202 also had a grey cloth interior with a black dash.

Thanks for all the help - I've now got to decide between a manual black interior for £300 or a grey electric set for £200 - I think the manual option would be a lot less hassle though full electric would be nice! Decisions decisions. :)

Or keep the cloth seats! I wasn't impressed with them until I noticed the lumbar support... :D

£300 should get you an outstanding manual set that's ready to fit straight in. Anything less than that, you should be looking to pay a lot less. Wonder why it's priced so much higher than the electric set?

£300 should get you an outstanding manual set that's ready to fit straight in. Anything less than that, you should be looking to pay a lot less. Wonder why it's priced so much higher than the electric set?

All the black leather on ebay seems to be around £300.

Just looked again and there are 2 sets on there for a lot less, but one is from a prefacelift car and the other has a tear on the driver's seat.

Just looked again and there are 2 sets on there for a lot less, but one is from a prefacelift car and the other has a tear on the driver's seat.

Yes - I paid £142 and £150 for the sets I bought, both of which were advertised as VGC. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, when I received them I didn't consider either to be VGC, for varying reasons. The second one I actually paid £175, but the seller refunded me £25 when I complained about the undisclosed cut on the rear seat backrest.

I haven't seen an eBay set go for more than £200 for a while. Remember even the last of the facelifts are 12 years old now. The facelift one with the tear could be worth a look, compared to what I paid it seems reasonably priced if the tear is the only major thing wrong. I'm sure the tear could be repaired professionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom